DBZ funimation remastered version?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

DBZ funimation remastered version?

Post by ssj4 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:30 pm

What are the thoughts on the remastered and uncut Dbz funimation dub, is it better than the initial one?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: DBZ funimation remastered version?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:55 pm

A good question, but one that's already being discussed here, if you're curious.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:58 pm

It's mostly the same.

A few blatantly wrong lines were fixed (Saiyan Scientist Bardock, "you killed my grandpa!"), and the restored scenes were dubbed mostly properly, but the rest of it is pretty much the Ocean dub with different voices/music.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:06 am

Oh I don't mean their first intial dub, I mean didn't they redub again after that uncut with scenes like cell saying oh sh*t before final flash

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:09 am

I think you may be thinking of a different dub. To date, the only dub in which Cell says "Oh s***!" right before Vegeta's Final Flash hits him is the German dub. It's one of the more memorable quirks of that dub, especially considering that Cell says that line in English for some reason.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:13 am

ssj4 wrote:Oh I don't mean their first intial dub, I mean didn't they redub again after that uncut with scenes like cell saying oh sh*t before final flash
No. You might be thinking of Dragon Ball Z Kai's dub, which includes quite a bit more profanity.
Or this fan-made video which was based on the German dub (and manga).
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:49 am

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:32 am

I don't really know much about this, but nearly all of the comments on that video are saying whoever uploaded it patched in the line from the German dub. And I'm inclined to believe it because they never said "shit" in the DBZ dub, uncut or not.

Also, off-topic, but, blehhh, I hate watching those "[1080p] Remastered" YouTube uploads. They look so terrible. And during a shaking scene, Trunks's line work totally started disappearing, and I had no idea if it was FUNimation's orange brick "remastering", this guy's "1080p" filter, or a combination of both. :shock:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:30 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I don't really know much about this, but nearly all of the comments on that video are saying whoever uploaded it patched in the line from the German dub. And I'm inclined to believe it because they never said "shit" in the DBZ dub, uncut or not.
That would be correct. The audio of Cell's dialogue in that clip is clearly that of Steffan Gossler, his German voice actor. In all three versions of the English dubs out there--which is to say the uncut FUNimation dub, the cut FUNimation dub, and even the "alternate" English dub (commonly referred to as "the Westwood dub")--Cell says, "What's this!?"

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:55 pm

oh then but isn't this remastered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6VB1RTLwNE

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Again, it kinda depends on what you mean by "remastered." If you are referring to the small bits of dialogue changes and re-recorded lines that were first rolled out in the 2007-2009 "remastered" orange bricks, then, no, the clip you just provided, while included in that release, are not really quite the same thing.

What you just posted is FUNimation's complete and total redub of their first two seasons, originally airing in 2005 and partially originally released on home video under the Ultimate Uncut Edition line.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:29 pm

ssj4 wrote:oh then but isn't this remastered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6VB1RTLwNE
The term "remastered dub" is technically an erroneous fan-term, but I see how it got started.

What happened was, FUNimation put DBZ through a digital clean-up and remastering process that, well......to put it quite bluntly, was so sloppy that it ended up making things look worse. This is the reason you'll often see fans putting the word "remastered" in quotation marks. In any event, the "remastering" process was done so that FUNimation could release their first consistent, complete, and uncut DBZ home video series. The official term for this home video series was the Season Sets, but you'll also frequently see the fan-terms, "the Orange Bricks" (due to the color of the packaging) and "the Remastered Season Sets." FUNimation was throwing around the term "remastered" a lot to describe what they did to the footage....

.....But some fans, who noticed some re-dubbing, assumed that the re-dubbing was part of the remastering process, when in fact it was a separate thing. This gave rise to the incorrect fan-term, "the Remastered Dub."

So unfortunately, that term has created a fair deal of confusion, since the word "remastered" was referring just to the footage, not to the re-dubbing. It just happens to coincidentally be the case that some of the re-dubbing that was done was done--and first heard--on the "remastered" Season Sets. Further compounding the confusion is that the first two arcs of the show were re-dubbed with FUNimation's in-house cast (replacing the Ocean Studios cast) before the release of the Season Sets, so that the English dub would have a consistent cast from the first episode to the last. The clip you linked to is part of that re-dubbing.

All that to say, since the fan-term "Remastered Dub" is just that--a fan-term--it doesn't really specifically indicate which portion of the re-dubbing we're talking about.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:55 pm

EmmaWinters wrote:It's mostly the same.

A few blatantly wrong lines were fixed (Saiyan Scientist Bardock, "you killed my grandpa!"), and the restored scenes were dubbed mostly properly, but the rest of it is pretty much the Ocean dub with different voices/music.
Didn't they fix "Planet Vegeta being destroyed 3 years ago"?

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:53 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
EmmaWinters wrote:It's mostly the same.

Didn't they fix "Planet Vegeta being destroyed 3 years ago"?
Nope, Raditz definitely says 3 years in this version.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:10 am

Its weird nobody noticed that error in the redub. I can't understand it. By then FUNI had dubbed the entire series, they know Goku was a baby when Planet Vegeta was destroyed.

Weird thing is in Season 3 they have Freeza say he destroyed Vegeta "20 years ago" when he sees Goku shows up.