New Toei DVDs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

New Toei DVDs

Post by Hujio » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:33 am

It's that time once again... Toei has released the cover art for the next three DBZ DVDs! These discs correspond to DBZ episodes 109-126 and will be released on April 26, 2006. This means that there won't be any DVD's released in May, as two sets are to be released in April. Anyway, we've posted the cover art on Kanzentai's main page.

Source: http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/ptr/dragonball/z/index.html
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:04 pm

Wow. They made Garlic Jr actually look villainous.
I like how they have almost the same number of dvds as the number of kanzenban that came out.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:09 pm

Chuquita wrote:I like how they have almost the same number of dvds as the number of kanzenban that came out.
What do you mean? There are 34 Kanzenban volumes and there will eventually be 49 DragonBall Z DVDs released. 34=49? :?
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Hujio wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I like how they have almost the same number of dvds as the number of kanzenban that came out.
What do you mean? There are 34 Kanzenban volumes and there will eventually be 49 DragonBall Z DVDs released. 34=49? :?
It's a lot closer than the 88 Region 1 volumes ;p

(God, how sad is it that the Japanese discs are almost half in quantity, have double the episodes and are still better quality in terms of compression and cost...)

-Corey

kevin449

Post by kevin449 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:32 pm

What do you mean in lower quality? Are they have less space on the discs?
Goku:HYAAAH!
Buu:Haa...Haaa
Vegeta:What the hell is going on here?

Sorry for this,it's my attempt at humor.
Hahaha!

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:48 pm

kevin449 wrote:What do you mean in lower quality? Are they have less space on the discs?
Yeah, the bittrate is much lower, resulting in macroblocking. Add to that oversaturation of colors and sharpening filters and you have an unappealing mess on a properly calibrated display.

I should know. I just watched 'Cooler's Revenge' yesterday on my setup and it looked so bad I had to stop. When Piccolo and Sauzer flew through the trees in their battle, Piccolo was retina burning green and the motion artifacts looked like a bad DivX encode. To make sure it wasn't the DVD player's upconversion (it's set to upconvert to 720p), I popped in a DBZ DragonBox disc and...it looked great. I'll compare the same actual scene next week when the movie box comes.

For those who are curious, my setup is:

Pioneer Pro910-HD 43" Plasma
Oppo OPDV971H DVD Player (DVI-HDMI connection)

All calibrated with THX gels, Digital Video Essentials and GetGray to ensure reference color and brightness/contrast levels. Everything that's encoded well looks godly on my setup, and things that don't...don't. FUNi's discs are of the latter variety. I just marvel at why they don't use the space on the discs to compress the video streams less.

-Corey

kevin449

Post by kevin449 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:25 pm

Sorry I meant the japanese dvds. Didnt you meant about the japan dvds?

Hahaha!

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:55 pm

kevin449 wrote:Sorry I meant the japanese dvds. Didnt you meant about the japan dvds?
Oh, no. The Japanese releases are reference quality releases.

-Corey

kevin449

Post by kevin449 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:54 pm

Can you please post a few screencaps from your dragonbox dvds please? I havent seen them hardly and if you can please the one a about goku turning ssj?

Hahaha!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:03 pm

My single DVD with Goku's transformation should be coming in soon (Amazon recently confirmed my DVDs were shipped). If none of our Dragon Box owners post screens, I'll do so. :P

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:11 pm

Tsukento wrote:My single DVD with Goku's transformation should be coming in soon (Amazon recently confirmed my DVDs were shipped). If none of our Dragon Box owners post screens, I'll do so. :P
Yeah, my DVD prog is MIA and I need to find my install software. If I can dig it up, I'll do some screens this weekend.

-Corey

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:29 am

Where is the drool emoticon? :lol:

Very nice!!

This is all original art work for these discs, right?

So beautiful.

I'm wondering if it might be cheaper for a friend of mine to buy them in Japan and just send them to me. I guess it would just depend on where she bought the ... and what type of shipping she used. Are they the same like us, no taxes using the web, and generally cheaper than stores?

Hmmm I can only imagine how those would look on my DVD shelves.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:48 am

M-Vegeta wrote: I'm wondering if it might be cheaper for a friend of mine to buy them in Japan and just send them to me. I guess it would just depend on where she bought the ... and what type of shipping she used. Are they the same like us, no taxes using the web, and generally cheaper than stores?
Best off buying via amazon.co.jp, who have special rates considering they ship so much stuff outside of the country. It could cost quite a hefty ammount to ship from person to person.

Amiable-Akuma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amiable-Akuma » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:29 am

MajinVejitaXV, I have almost the exact home theater setup as you do, perfectly calibrated and everything - and I agree with your every word. I swear there is no greater case for wanting to buy the Toei discs than running those from Funi on such a rig. Funny too, since almost any competently-created DVD can be made gorgeous by such a setup, with the Oppo, etc - but the Funi DB/Z/GT discs couldn't look more damaged. The Funi transfers of the series, whether it isn't completely their fault or not, are truly some of the worst I've ever seen among any and all of the DVDs I've watched - ever. And that's saying something.

Was watching the GT series the other day - and the amount of grain was frightening. In certain scenes - there's so much macro-blocking and pixelization on parts of the frame that it actually really distracts you from enjoying the show. It's a real shame that this is what most (since the majority of people aren't import-savvy) US fans will have to put up with.