Countdown to the Final Dragon Box!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Countdown to the Final Dragon Box!

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:21 am

Alright, it's fanboy-ish, but I'm excited. 6 years ago rumors about a complete Japanese release of everything DragonBall began, and I promised myself I'd try and get them all...

Well, today I've got all 4 so far, and the fifth and final one is only a week away. I've been kinda psyched, and even watched part of the fifth DBZ movie yesterday. I'm looking forward to seeing everything again in perfect quality (even if it was 16:9 LB, because in all honesty in this case it doesn't bother me).

I'll be posting pics and some comparisions for you guys. I can't wait!

-Corey

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:44 pm

Well, today I've got all 4 so far
You, sir, suck. XP Had I only gotten a job years ago, I probably wouldn't be importing the single discs. T_T

I did manage to reserve my copy of the movies set, though. I too have been waiting ever so long to get my hands on this set. And considering I actually haven't seen all of the movies (suprisingly since I've been a fan of the show since 1996), this'll be a really nice treat for me.

I suppose some of us will end posting pics of ourselves being incredibly dorky by actually wearing the Scouters..I know I will. >__>;

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:06 pm

Tsukento wrote:
You, sir, suck. XP Had I only gotten a job years ago, I probably wouldn't be importing the single discs. T_T

I did manage to reserve my copy of the movies set, though. I too have been waiting ever so long to get my hands on this set. And considering I actually haven't seen all of the movies (suprisingly since I've been a fan of the show since 1996), this'll be a really nice treat for me.

I suppose some of us will end posting pics of ourselves being incredibly dorky by actually wearing the Scouters..I know I will. >__>;
Look at it this way, you get the ultra cool new cover art, *ahem* which you should scan at uber high quality and send to someone like, say, me. *cough*

What was that? Oh, nothing.

-Corey

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:21 pm

I've only got the first disc at the moment. :P I've got more on the way, though I don't have a scanner. If I did, I'd have actually shared. XP

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:18 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Tsukento wrote:

Look at it this way, you get the ultra cool new cover art, *ahem* which you should scan at uber high quality and send to someone like, say, me. *cough*

What was that? Oh, nothing.

-Corey
Dont have a high quality scanner (yet), but I do have the first 15 volumes, the next 3 on the way, and'll get the next nine in june. Sooo...

edit: subsequently, nuts to this, preordered box again.

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Re: Countdown to the Final Dragon Box!

Post by Milton » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:50 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Alright, it's fanboy-ish, but I'm excited. 6 years ago rumors about a complete Japanese release of everything DragonBall began, and I promised myself I'd try and get them all...

Well, today I've got all 4 so far, and the fifth and final one is only a week away. I've been kinda psyched, and even watched part of the fifth DBZ movie yesterday. I'm looking forward to seeing everything again in perfect quality (even if it was 16:9 LB, because in all honesty in this case it doesn't bother me).

I'll be posting pics and some comparisions for you guys. I can't wait!

-Corey
It's funny...for the longest time I've been excited about this release, too. But after the delay, I've been having second thoughts. Chances are that when it gets released, I'll be flat broke for at least a week (unless the government speeds up my tax return, which would be really sweet). Not to mention the fact that I'm also trying to save up some cash for a trip into Canada with my girlfriend later this year. So...can someone, anyone out there convince me that I'd be making the biggest mistake of my fandom by canceling the preorder I've held onto since November? :?

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:45 pm

Milton wrote:It's funny...for the longest time I've been excited about this release, too. But after the delay, I've been having second thoughts. Chances are that when it gets released, I'll be flat broke for at least a week (unless the government speeds up my tax return, which would be really sweet). Not to mention the fact that I'm also trying to save up some cash for a trip into Canada with my girlfriend later this year. So...can someone, anyone out there convince me that I'd be making the biggest mistake of my fandom by canceling the preorder I've held onto since November? :?
Well, I cancelled my DragonBox preorder initially for DB because I thought I wouldn't be able to afford it. Luckily, they had a few spares and I changed my mind *right* before they sold out (with some encouraging). I've very glad I did.

Conclusion: Keep the preorder. Usually I'd say it's no big deal, but just look at the rarity of the other boxes: You miss out now, it ain't coming back.

Just my $0.02.

-Corey

kevin449

Post by kevin449 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:57 pm

Tell me about it since I dont work yet(I'm a student)I couldnt buy any of the dragonbox sets inlcuding that I dont have a multi-regional dvd player on top of that :cry: ITS NOT FAIR!!!!
Goku:HYAAAH!
Buu:Haa...Haaa
Vegeta:What the hell is going on here?

Sorry for this,it's my attempt at humor.
Hahaha!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:22 pm

kevin449 wrote:Tell me about it since I dont work yet(I'm a student)I couldnt buy any of the dragonbox sets inlcuding that I dont have a multi-regional dvd player on top of that :cry: ITS NOT FAIR!!!!
I'm warning you again. Please re-read the forum rules.

Also, please use the "Search" feature at the top of the forum. In addition to our "Ultimate Uncut Editions" feature with several screen-shot comparisons with the "Dragon Box", there have been a plethora of threads on this forum with detailed discussions and comparison images. This is not a thread for those discussions.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:25 pm

kevin449 wrote:Tell me about it since I dont work yet(I'm a student)I couldnt buy any of the dragonbox sets inlcuding that I dont have a multi-regional dvd player on top of that :cry: ITS NOT FAIR!!!!
You can always just buy FUNi's DVD releases of the movies, they've already released two movie box-sets as it is, and the movies are going down in prices (I saw DBZ movie 8 at Walmart for only $7).

On topic, I look forward to comparison pics of Movie 12/Fusion Reborn. I'm insanly curious on its look compared to FUNi's release. Of course, I won't be getting the Dragonbox, but that won't stop me from giving fair comments on comparison pics. Enjoy the set, guys. =)
14 years later

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:43 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:On topic, I look forward to comparison pics of Movie 12/Fusion Reborn. I'm insanly curious on its look compared to FUNi's release. Of course, I won't be getting the Dragonbox, but that won't stop me from giving fair comments on comparison pics. Enjoy the set, guys. =)
Unfortunately, I only have Pioneer movies 1-3, and FUNi movies 5-9. If you can provide me PNG screen captures, we can do a comparision like Mike did for the Ultimate Uncut DVD's. Deal?

-Corey

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:51 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote: and the fifth and final one is only a week away.
Too bad it was delayed a month, I was hoping to get movie 12 in the DBox so I wouldn't have to bother getting the release of it that just came out. :P I've gotten the two dbz ones and the GT one(and should finally have the DB one shortly), I'm glad I got this one preordered so I'll definitely get it(I hated how hard it was too find the ones I didn't preorder on time, luckily, I finally found somebody willing to sell them to me for the cheap price of just three thousand dollars each 8) ). I'll be looking forward to the features in this one.

One quick question I have... A couple of the DVDs from the sets I have occasionally mess up(it's like the picture becomes all pixel-ish and it all messes up), the DVDs are ok, so could it just be the DVD player I have(it's a region free one I got from playasia) that causes that? If so, any recommendations on one to get? :?:
Last edited by Metrite on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:00 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Conan the SSJ wrote:On topic, I look forward to comparison pics of Movie 12/Fusion Reborn. I'm insanly curious on its look compared to FUNi's release. Of course, I won't be getting the Dragonbox, but that won't stop me from giving fair comments on comparison pics. Enjoy the set, guys. =)
Unfortunately, I only have Pioneer movies 1-3, and FUNi movies 5-9. If you can provide me PNG screen captures, we can do a comparision like Mike did for the Ultimate Uncut DVD's. Deal?

-Corey
If you want, I could do comparisons for Dragon Ball movies 2 through 4 and Z movies 10 and 12 when my Dragon Box comes in. :o
I finally found somebody willing to sell them to me for the cheap price of just three thousand dollars each 8) ).

Wait..did you mean you paid $3k for EACH Dragon Box or for all together? o_O;; Cause I'd say you got ripped if you paid $3k for all of them when not even the GT Dragon Box costed $1k.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:10 pm

Tsukento wrote:If you want, I could do comparisons for Dragon Ball movies 2 through 4 and Z movies 10 and 12 when my Dragon Box comes in. :o
Sure thing. I can do DB movie 3, and Z movies 1-3 and 5-9. I'm gonna format just like VegEX did, with a PNG image in half, one side FUNi and one side DBox. I'll also record average bitrates for the movies and whether they are progressive or interlaced.
I finally found somebody willing to sell them to me for the cheap price of just three thousand dollars each 8) ).

Wait..did you mean you paid $3k for EACH Dragon Box or for all together? o_O;; Cause I'd say you got ripped if you paid $3k for all of them when not even the GT Dragon Box costed $1k.[/quote]

I agree on that one. $3k for all 4 is what I'm hoping he means (which would be about retail) O_o;;
Metrite wrote:Too bad it was delayed a month, I was hoping to get movie 12 in the DBox so I wouldn't have to bother getting the release of it that just came out. Razz I've gotten the two dbz ones and the GT one(and should finally have the DB one shortly), I'm glad I got this one preordered so I'll definitely get it(I hated how hard it was too find the ones I didn't preorder on time, luckily, I finally found somebody willing to sell them to me for the cheap price of just three thousand dollars each Cool ). I'll be looking forward to the features in this one.

One quick question I have... A couple of the DVDs from the sets I have occasionally mess up(it's like the picture becomes all pixel-ish and it all messes up), the DVDs are ok, so could it just be the DVD player I have(it's a region free one I got from playasia) that causes that? If so, any recommendations on one to get?
Yeah, I was hoping it'd come on time also. Ah well, gives me time to get more psyched, and besides I just reversed the purchase of my new Beretta 92FS and the DBox since the latter was delayed until April. Still, I was tempted to pick up Fusion Reborn...

As for the disc issue, if the discs themselves are fine, it's possible the MPEG decoder in your player is crap. I personally have an Oppo Digital OPDV971H. I'd only recommend it if your TV has DVI or HDMI inputs. Otherwise, it's an average player, and it's also $200 but well worth it IMHO. You may wanna ask on Animeondvd.com's forums if you don't have those connectors or the price is too steep.

Another quick and easy solution is to buy a Action Replay from your local gameshop if you have a Playstation 2, it'll let you watch DVD's region free. That's how I watched the Dragon Boxes to begin with. Not the best quality, but it can work well until you can afford something better.

-Corey

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:55 pm

Tsukento wrote:Wait..did you mean you paid $3k for EACH Dragon Box
Yep, three grand a piece... I had no choice, I had missed out on preordering the first ones, so they weren't available anymore... I looked everywhere and couldn't find them. When I finally found somebody I could get them from(and still brand new) it seemed like my only hope, I knew it was a bit pricey, but since three thousand is lunch money to me and I'd probably never get them at all if I didn't then(or not until they become something more like a million a piece lol), I figured I might as well. I did find the DB one on CD Japan for about just one thousand(Since I had already bought something that cost a few hundred that day, I couldn't use my card again right away, though(dumb bank over-protective-ness!)) but it was sold out the very next day... Don't you just hate the way life teases you, sometimes? :P

You know, in another decade or so, odds are the successor to DVDs will have taken over and the DB series will be re-released yet again with even more and better bonuses... I wonder if I'm going to love or hate it when that happens?... :P
As for the disc issue, if the discs themselves are fine, it's possible the MPEG decoder in your player is crap. I personally have an Oppo Digital OPDV971H. I'd only recommend it if your TV has DVI or HDMI inputs. Otherwise, it's an average player, and it's also $200 but well worth it IMHO. You may wanna ask on Animeondvd.com's forums if you don't have those connectors or the price is too steep.
Thanks. I guess I'll try that. I'm just wanting to make sure I got a DVD player that'll work well for sure when I get this DBox. I'd hate to be in the middle a beautiful movie and have it suddenly screw up forcing me to skip some scenes(or worse... the rest of the movie!).

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:04 am

$3000 each. Damn, sounds steep to me, but if you can afford it and it's worth it, go for it. I just can't imagine spending more than $10,000 on DragonBall. Hell, the entire Kanzenban collection plus the DVD's altogether ran me maybe $3600 after priority shipping. And that's spread over 4 years.

I really, really hope you're happy with them ;)

-Corey

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:39 am

While I don't have (or desire to) the Dragon Boxes I share your geeky fanboyism right now. I've just recently all but finioshed my FUNimation DVD collection, and am excited about having all of the show. I still need to get the second trunks disc with the extra episodes, the garlic junior set, and the ultimate uncuts, but otherwise I'm set. So lets share the geeky fangasmy moment!
-Laserkid

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:49 am

The very reason I'm going with the Japanese singles is not only because there's six episodes per disc, but there's no way in hell I'm filling my shelves with over 80+ cases. >_>; At least the jewl cases are uber thin, making more space for other stuff on my bookcase.

$3k is a lot for each Dragon Box. Seriously, I'd have moved on. o_o; For all you know, someone else could be selling there boxes for cheaper prices. The two Z Dragon Boxes together isn't even worth $6k, let alone the GT Dragon Box isn't worth $1k.

As for the movie box, it's a rather complicated story for me. I had actually never heard of ANY of the Dragon Boxes until last year when I joined the forum. I was rather ticked to find out I missed out on my chance to obtain them due to never hearing of them and not having had a job several years back. The moment I heard of the Dragon Box movie set a few months back, I got up enough money and set it on pre-order. I missed my chance to get Dragon Ball, all of Z and GT, but I wasn't going to miss my chance to get the final set.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:56 am

Three grand per Dragonbox means that you've officially overstepped the line of passionate fandom and borderline stupidity. Christ, where the hell did you buy them from? YOu had plenty of choices, be they Amazon.co.jp sellers that you could convince to ship internationally, or animejungle.co.jp, Rinkya, or plenty of other places. I know that the obsession can drive you to extremes at some point, but for cryin' out loud. God I'd hate to see you buy a house or a car or anything worthwhile!

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:31 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Well, I cancelled my DragonBox preorder initially for DB because I thought I wouldn't be able to afford it. Luckily, they had a few spares and I changed my mind *right* before they sold out (with some encouraging). I've very glad I did.

Conclusion: Keep the preorder. Usually I'd say it's no big deal, but just look at the rarity of the other boxes: You miss out now, it ain't coming back.

Just my $0.02.

-Corey
Your point is well taken...I'll keep the preorder. Plus, my tax return just arrived in the mail today. :P Now that the money issue isn't really there anymore, I'm once again stoked for the 14th. I may even wear one of the Scouters to work when the package arrives.