Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 64

Post by neolux » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:28 pm

We understand you don't like him but come on! Relax! This forum is not youtube neither facebook. There are norms here.

djcoopdawg
Beyond Newbie

Post by djcoopdawg » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Amir wrote:Again, f*** Tate. With his horrible and undetailed art for the characters and even his effects were bad. This wasn't even an episode with fighting movements and hand to hand combat so this episode is not even suited for him.
You should make "better" art instead, or be the person who decides when he is allowed or not allowed to use his "horrible" talent in an episode. I am sure your expertise would be an asset to the DBS animation department.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:41 pm

Please don't engage posts like that. Report them and move on.

To reiterate what I've warned Amir on privately: there's nothing wrong with disliking something, or disagreeing with your fellow fans and the general consensus, but you must express your opinion in a civil and respectful manner.

You aren't going to find any worthwhile conversation when hostility is at the very forefront of your posts.

Thank you.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:48 pm

Was I the only one that felt the scene with Zamasu squeezing Goku and Vegeta's hands to jelly was awkward? I'm sure muscles don't work that way unless you're Buu or something lol.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:57 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Was I the only one that felt the scene with Zamasu squeezing Goku and Vegeta's hands to jelly was awkward? I'm sure muscles don't work that way unless you're Buu or something lol.
I was fine with it. Dragon Ball is a cartoon, after all. I have no issue with animators using the medium to its fullest. For me, it helped sell the damage.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:22 pm

OMG, Tate delivering again! Some cuts were really good. That sphere explosion when Vegeta and Goku attacks that phoenix or whatever that is, really amazing.

I loved this episode, and NEP looks just bananas. SHIDA, enough said.

Derf

Post by Derf » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:00 pm

Once again fairly disappointed in a Tate episode. Looks like I just need to accept that I do not like Tate's style of animation and move past it. Last week's episode was far better animated - and more on model - than this one, imho.

Content wise, what a fantastic episode. Two epic ki struggles, more fantastic character development in respect of Vegeta and Future Trunks character development, and the rising stakes and feeling of impending doom are really palpable now that Zamasu and Black have fused. I'm a little surprised that they gave Vegito away so thoroughly in the NEP; I would have liked more of a tease. All in all I'm impressed and can't wait for next week.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:22 pm

HOLD UP!
Ide Takeo was Chief Animation Supervisor for the third episode in a row, I guess the schedule is finally at the point where only one is needed. Hopefully we still see Tsuji Miyako as a 2nd key animator and animator now and then. Or maybe she's going to become an Animation Supervisor, that'd be pretty awesome!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:24 pm

-Episode 65-
As a guy that loved Tate's episode 47 and 56, seeing his loose art pop up again bothered me a lot. Can't accept this ugly style, so I guess I only fully enjoy his work when the art is corrected by another person.

Other than that, cool episode.
Seeing battle damage was great, now if only the blood came back...

NEP looks amazing!!!
God Shida and Ken are confirmed.
If Shimanuki, Higashide and Karasawa are coming too, the potential for this to be the best animated DB episode ever is indeed serious. If only we had a normal schedule since the beginning...

Feels like the next episodes titles and staff list is taking forever to come out. :roll:
Curious to know if Mini-Shida and Yamamuro will have the chance to take a bite of this fight.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:35 pm

These two parts in the preview look absolutely amazing.
There's weight behind them. The effects are on point, the colors look good.

Especially this one. That close up shot, the build-up with the eye and the energy going up and then the colorul and bright explosion is just beautiful. That's what I want to see from Dragon Ball.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:37 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Episode 65-
As a guy that loved Tate's episode 47 and 56, seeing his loose art pop up again bothered me a lot. Can't accept this ugly style, so I guess I only fully enjoy his work when the art is corrected by another person.

Other than that, cool episode.
Seeing battle damage was great, now if only the blood came back...

NEP looks amazing!!!
God Shida and Ken are confirmed.
If Shimanuki, Higashide and Karasawa are coming too, the potential for this to be the best animated DB episode ever is indeed serious. If only we had a normal schedule since the beginning...

Feels like the next episodes titles and staff list is taking forever to come out. :roll:
Curious to know if Mini-Shida and Yamamuro will have the chance to take a bite of this fight.
Assuming 66 is indeed Karasawa and the fight continues past that episode I could see Yamamuro taking the last episode of the fight with Takahashi Yuya on the episode. Too bad Onishi Ryo seems to be focused on Tiger Mask, he'd be a great addition for these last 2 or so episodes as well.

Y3llowflash200

Post by Y3llowflash200 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:42 pm

I quite enjoyed this episode. I thought it was a bit rough around the edges but, it works incredibly well with Tate's animation style.

My personal favorite scene of this episode was the Father-Son Galick Gun. Not only did it look cool, it actually did something.

But, NEP looks absolutely incredible TOO EXCITED FOR SHIDA, Might just explode in my pants.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:08 pm

I'm not sure if these actually are Shimanuki, but if they are then I'm really impressed. They are channeling the old school character designs excellently and remind me of the old school Shimanuki a ton.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Yep man those are definitely shimanuki shots. He is improving so much, its great.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:27 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Was I the only one that felt the scene with Zamasu squeezing Goku and Vegeta's hands to jelly was awkward? I'm sure muscles don't work that way unless you're Buu or something lol.
Definitely not, that scene was awful! It was like I was watching Looney Tunes or something, if they did something similar (maybe not graphic) as this, I would enjoy pretty much.
Avok wrote:These two parts in the preview look absolutely amazing.
There's weight behind them. The effects are on point, the colors look good.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Especially this one. That close up shot, the build-up with the eye and the energy going up and then the colorul and bright explosion is just beautiful. That's what I want to see from Dragon Ball.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Wow, that some OPM tier animation we're gonna see next ep jk :D
Last edited by Noah on Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:02 pm

Derf wrote:Once again fairly disappointed in a Tate episode. Looks like I just need to accept that I do not like Tate's style of animation and move past it. Last week's episode was far better animated - and more on model - than this one, imho.

Content wise, what a fantastic episode. Two epic ki struggles, more fantastic character development in respect of Vegeta and Future Trunks character development, and the rising stakes and feeling of impending doom are really palpable now that Zamasu and Black have fused. I'm a little surprised that they gave Vegito away so thoroughly in the NEP; I would have liked more of a tease. All in all I'm impressed and can't wait for next week.
There was animation in ep 64?

I didn't see any in that episode.

I can agree with the art being better generally, this episode made everyone into blobs, but I kinda liked it because it moved well.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:11 pm

Sodhi wrote:According to Herms, he said "I didn't get to draw Vegetto, but still got a good scene."
To be precise, what he actually said is that he had wanted to draw Vegetto (followed by a sad face), but that he still got a good scene anyway. So he didn't explicitly say he didn't draw Vegetto, but that's the implication.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:14 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Derf wrote:Once again fairly disappointed in a Tate episode. Looks like I just need to accept that I do not like Tate's style of animation and move past it. Last week's episode was far better animated - and more on model - than this one, imho.

There was animation in ep 64?

I didn't see any in that episode.

I can agree with the art being better generally, this episode made everyone into blobs, but I kinda liked it because it moved well.
If you cannot see "animation" in Tate's work, you probably don't understand what "animation" means at all. Plain and simple. It's not a matter of tastes, and I don't want to sound disrespectful to other's opinions. One thing is to not like it, and other thing -way more different- is not recognising his amazing talent as an animator.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:26 pm

It's always weird when Shida comes to do an episode. He deserves all of the praise he gets; and his work on Super has been some of the best in the franchise. But it's always weird when I see people talking about him, especially in the Dragonball community.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:29 pm

nite_jay wrote:It's always weird when Shida comes to do an episode. He deserves all of the praise he gets; and his work on Super has been some of the best in the franchise. But it's always weird when I see people talking about him, especially in the Dragonball community.
Any reason why?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?