Dead Zone vs. re-release

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Dead Zone vs. re-release

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:06 pm

I know the EX staff hates the "Ultimate Uncut" version of this movie, but is there really any difference? I'm sure that the voices and background music were changed, but what else? From EX's review, the UUEs have kept some of the same script from the Ocean dub. For the re-release of Dead Zone, was the entire script from the Ocean Group dub kept?

According to ep 17 of the podcast, the Ocean Group dub is more accurate to the Japanese script, but it seemed that the EX cast was kinda hating on the UUE in the first place to actually make a non-biased comparison :?. But if the dub script were kept in the re-release, I wouldn't mind buyng that one instead.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:23 pm

If memory serves, they didn't do the song (after Gohan eats the fruit) in the dub version of the re-release.

Also, they changed the background music in the dub of the re-release, where the original dub used the JP background music.

Finally, I think they changed the some of the dialouge in the re-release (that was actually funnier in the original) and the ending shots for the credits.

I think the main point for some was that the overall changes were either so small or worse than the original, there was no point to get the new one
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:34 pm

Thanks

After going over a quick comparison of the two on amazon, I figured I should buy the newer release (sorry!), since I'm used to the FUNi dub, and if I want to see it "uncut for real," then I'll just watch the subbed version. Also, I figured that if you were to keep the original script, some lines would sound pretty corny when said in English. That, and the UUE has some "behind the scenes" interview stuff that I'm curious about.

Finally, I already watched the Ocean dub of it before, even though I don't really remember much of it.

And it's now 56% off on amazon. Still not as cheap as the Pioneer one, but whatever.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:05 pm

Actually, it isn't that Mike hates the Ultimate Uncut's as they are, he just isn't fond of the dub itself, however he does praise it on many occassions because of the way Funimation has been handling the releases, with the Japanese audio and subtitles. Further, he praises now that Funimation has even gone so far as to include a Spanish audio track.

As well, there is one thing about the re-release of Deadzone that neither he, nor I like. It's that Funimation added "hanna-barbera-esque" circus music to the Japanese audio track; which in itself is goofy as heck.

[The place this comes up, is rather than falling noises, you hear some bullshit add-in noise the likes of which would come from a cartoon aimed at 4 year olds.]

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:30 pm

lost in thought wrote:Actually, it isn't that Mike hates the Ultimate Uncut's as they are, he just isn't fond of the dub itself, however he does praise it on many occassions because of the way Funimation has been handling the releases, with the Japanese audio and subtitles. Further, he praises now that Funimation has even gone so far as to include a Spanish audio track.

As well, there is one thing about the re-release of Deadzone that neither he, nor I like. It's that Funimation added "hanna-barbera-esque" circus music to the Japanese audio track; which in itself is goofy as heck.

[The place this comes up, is rather than falling noises, you hear some bullshit add-in noise the likes of which would come from a cartoon aimed at 4 year olds.]
Yep, they took the cymbol crash sound from the Ocean Studios dub of Dead Zone and inserted it into the Japanese version, or so I'm told. Obviously this should never have been allowed to happen.

The advantage of the dub on the re-release is there are no inserted sound effects like the first dub. (But the disadvantage being you don't get the original BGM.)

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:04 pm

One more thing: is FUNi's background music its regular one, or did they get another band's songs for it (which really ticks me off, since it kinda doesn't make DBZ as timeless as it could be)?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:46 pm

No, Its completley new stuff. Its in the vein of the stuff they used in the Re-dub. Wich I think is just plain hideous.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:54 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:One more thing: is FUNi's background music its regular one, or did they get another band's songs for it (which really ticks me off, since it kinda doesn't make DBZ as timeless as it could be)?
I believe it is Mark Menza [Yes, the guy who did GT] who composes all of the music for the Ultimate Uncut redub work, which would in-turn is likely to be the case here.

[Although I could be mistaken, I am almost certain Menza, as well as another person did the music for the UU releases.]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:39 pm

lost in thought wrote:Actually, it isn't that Mike hates the Ultimate Uncut's as they are, he just isn't fond of the dub itself, however he does praise it on many occassions because of the way Funimation has been handling the releases, with the Japanese audio and subtitles. Further, he praises now that Funimation has even gone so far as to include a Spanish audio track.
Thank you.

Back to the topic at hand, from what I understand (I refuse to actually watch it in any long capacity), the script for DBZ movie 1 is *not* as close to the original dub script as the early "Ultimate Uncut Edition" scripts happened to be.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:43 pm

So if someone simply wants to watch the movie "uncut" with the original (unaltered) Japanese track, go with the Pioneer release? I ask because I was planning to order the UUE edition soon, but if the Japanese track was altered, I'd rather get the Pioneer release, even if it should have worse video quality.
[b]PSN: Mune-sama[/b]

Add me for some HD Remix or SF4.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:49 pm

I have the Pioneer release, and holy crap is the quality bad. The bitrate is amazingly low, and the pixels are clearly visible when the action picks up.

Go with the Ultimate Uncut without question...

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:19 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:I have the Pioneer release, and holy crap is the quality bad. The bitrate is amazingly low, and the pixels are clearly visible when the action picks up.

Can't blame 'em. The movie was released when DVDs were just starting up. I'm sticking with my Pioneer DVD. Why? Because the dub on that one kicks FUNi's UUE dub to the curb. :P

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:30 am

Smooth Criminal wrote:I have the Pioneer release, and holy crap is the quality bad. The bitrate is amazingly low, and the pixels are clearly visible when the action picks up.

Well, if the video quality really is that bad, I suppose I'll go UUE. I have the Pioneer dubs on tape, so if I want to hear them, they're there.

It's still a shame about the addition of the "circus music" on the Japanese track, I thought these were suppost to be "Ultimate Uncut Editions." :roll:

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:20 am

Personally, I haven't noticed that kind of visual problems.

Then again, I view my Pioneer DVDs on my TV, as opposed to on my comp. TV tends to present better quality than a computer DVD player would. :s

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:06 pm

Tsukento wrote:Then again, I view my Pioneer DVDs on my TV, as opposed to on my comp. TV tends to present better quality than a computer DVD player would. :s
Eh, that depends on a number of factors. Typically, a computer can be better because it is a progressive display device. However, if you have an HDTV, it can be better than a PC.

You also have X-factors such as connectors (Composite, S-Vid, Component, HDMI-DVI, etc), video cards, and so forth.

-Corey

ShadowAssailantX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShadowAssailantX » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:14 am

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the UU release, simply because it contains one of the best extras FUNi ever put on a DBZ release: the voice actor commentary. And the improved video quality certainly doesn't hurt either.
So zetta slow

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:00 am

:cry: No more Gendou-avy, EX?

:P I much prefer the FUNi re-dub, because I love FUNi's voice actors over Ocean's any day. And besides...we have Daimao's subtitles here as well! :)
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:50 am

Hmm... for the longest time, I was thinking about buying all three of the DBZ pioneer movies, but with everyone talking about video quality, I'm skeptical. Would buying the Pioneer discs new make the video quality better, or is that just something that works for VHS tapes?

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:46 pm

I think I'll get both the Pioneer and Funi movies, since the Pioneer ones are considerably cheaper than the Funi ones now. (Sellers on Amazon go as low as around $5 for new copies)

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:17 pm

yeah, dont bother with the Funi dub at all.......the Ocean (Pioneer) dub is MUCH better..... :!:

Funi changed the music, they also changed the dialogs, didnt do the songs, and in other words made a mockery of what the Ocean dub did so well. Sean Schemmel is nothing compared to Peter Kelamis :evil: .....and also the Ocean Garlic Jr sounded much (x100) better. :!: