DragonBall Remake - Which would you like (if any)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

DragonBall Remake - Which would you like (if any)?

Post by ngnikolaos » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:48 pm

Bear with me. We live in an era of remakes. Masters of the Universe, teenage mutant ninja turtles are remakes among US animation, The Omen, Dawn of The Dead, King Kong, Planet of the Apes, War Of The Worlds, and The Stepford Wives among films, and I am sure that the anime universe is filled with re-makes as well.

Now that the Japanese PS2 DBZ games made good sales in Japan, and the Dragon Boxes seem to be selling nice as well, it is a good possibillity for Toei to decide a re-make of one of the most successful anime of all time (I am still hoping to see a Thundercats re-make).

I am talking of course, about Ninja Boys.

... I am kidding. Of course, I mean Dragon Ball.

Suppose it would happen. Suppose there is a possibility. What would you like to see?

A) DRAGON BALL - THE LEGEND REBORN - FULL
In this re-make, we basically get the whole whooping 550 episodes, but with new drawings, animation, music and effects. It is the series you grew up with, but presented as if it was made today for the first time.

B) DRAGON BALL - THE LEGEND REBORN - PARTIAL
Same as above, but only one series gets updated (either DB, DBZ, or DBGT)

C) DRAGON BALL - DIGITAL MANGA
In this remake, you basically get the storyline of the manga, without ANY fillers, which means you see the canon storyline with digital sound, great drawings and animation. Only essence, and no filler (and no DBGT)

D) DRAGON BALL - THE FIGHTS THAT SHAPED THE UNIVERSE
In this remake, you basically only get to see the biggest and most important fights of the Dragonball anime in new animation and quality. There is no storyline or character emphasis; only raw battles between Freeza, Cell, Buu and Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Trunks, and Gotenks (and one or two more I guess).

E) DRAGON BALL - RETURNS
In this remake, we get a new (or more like, an alternate) version of the storyline we grew up with. There is more character emphasis, more focus on all characters (even Chiaotzu), Goku is not the best thing that happened in this universe, and there are questions and dileemas along with the action. Think of a cross between DBZ, Cowboy Bebop and Astonishing X-Men (by the way, is this comic the bomb or what?).

So, what do you guys think? I am going for E.
Last edited by ngnikolaos on Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:27 pm

I would definately go for C, especially if they strictly followed every little detail about everything from the Manga. Super Saiyan aura's come to mind.

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:33 pm

Personally, I'd rather something brand new(like a new movie) than remakes. However, if a remake was the only option, I'd pick a mix of B and E. I think DB/Z should be left as they are, the only thing that could ever be improved is GT. So B in that only it's "remade" and E in that it's not the same story ect. It could be GTR(GT's Replacement :P ) and be something new that uses some of GT's better ideas that had potential(no completely controversial nonsense like "abusing the DBs" or past bad guys coming back) and made sense in a way that stays true to DB/Z and avoids plotholes, ruined characters, and such.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:53 pm

Dragon Ball, the series, is fine just how it is. No remake is needed. I just want to see an all new 2-hour full length movie with an original story (if it were written by Mr. Toriyama, all the better) and all new animation like in the recent videogame intros and that Japanese game show that was in another thread. That's all I ask.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:01 pm

If I was going to see a remake, I'd probably want to see Option "C"... mixed with a bit of Option "E"...

What I mean is we get all of the canon manga storyline (beginning of DB to end of DBZ) with none of the battle/recap fillers. For example, Freeza and Goku's battle on Namek would not take 6-7 episodes to get resolved. Maybe 1-2 eps at the most and the fight would be at a brutal and frantic pace.

But... Option E comes in where maybe during low parts of the story arcs or inbetween story arcs I would like to see character-related stories. It's filler, but these fillers serve a purpose, getting to know the characters.

For example, in between the Freeza and Trunks/Jinzoningen arcs, we'd see Bulma's breakup with Yamcha, Bulma falling for Vegeta, we'd see Gohan's & Kuririn's daily lives a bit too. Hell, even more Piccolo splitting into two and training would be welcome. This would last for a couple eps. before getting into the next story arc.

Or even between the Cell Games and Great Saiyaman arcs, there would be couple episodes devoted to those 7 years on Earth without Goku. We'd see more baby Goten and Trunks, Chi-chi sparring w/ Goten, Vegeta and Bulma TRYING to be parents maybe... Hell, then we could put in the Afterlife Budokai, but it would mainly be Goku and Paikuhan's fight.

As for music, I know Shunsuke's Kikuchi's BGM is great, but I think they should try to create some new BGM for the remake, with a new orchestrated score. But, one thing that I think they should carry over from the video games, is a new OP and ED by Kageyama Hironobu. Or get Jam Project to do the songs, since Hironobu is in the group and they always do the "retro" anime type anthems.

I'd also think this remake shouldn't have to be more than 100-150 eps. at the most... considering the manga goes by at a brisk pace w/o fillers.

But... those are my ideas. I'd love to see any new DB animation really. So, Toei... pretty please?
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:02 pm

Slickmasterfunk wrote:Dragon Ball, the series, is fine just how it is. No remake is needed. I just want to see an all new 2-hour full length movie with an original story (if it were written by Mr. Toriyama, all the better) and all new animation like in the recent videogame intros and that Japanese game show that was in another thread. That's all I ask.
I agree. I love the series how it is, but if I had to choose more new DB animation, I would choose a complete overhaul of the original material, why not?
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

HP
Beyond Newbie

Post by HP » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:06 pm

Option C.
But I would rather go to a movie. Or two...
beareyes [img]http://image1.beareyes.com.cn/joytlun/img/238.gif[/img]

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:13 pm

A series of sequels based of "Path to Power" would be kinda cool. Having the entire story remixed and compressed with super awesome animation...that would suit me fine.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:45 pm

Well, let's look at the options.

A: Boring. The thought of the exact same thing, but with the animation "Windex clean", strikes me as pointless. It would do nothing to improve it.

B: Same as above, but with only one(or two) of the series.

C: I can see this as a possibility someday, and certainly would shut down the complaint of "Drag-on ball". However, don't expect such a series to stick exactly to the manga frame-by-frame. The writers/director of such a series could still choice to remake certain filler episodes(like the driving episode), or make up their own for whatever reason(such as for fun or a change of pace).

D: Now this would fuel the arguements that DB is just mindless action.

E: Could work, depending on how it's done.

Though I really don't feel the need for "more DB", or to see a remake of it(I think there's too much empathizes on remakes these days...).

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:55 pm

Domon wrote:Well, let's look at the options.
The writers/director of such a series could still choice to remake certain filler episodes(like the driving episode), or make up their own for whatever reason(such as for fun or a change of pace).
Not so if they would make a short (for DB) series, for example, a DBZ saga that goes 50 episodes tops. They would have little room for driving lesson episodes and the like. However, if they would go for 100+ eps, it's a whole different tale....

My thanks for the replies you are giving so far. Since this community represents the DBZ fans in a micro-scale, if a large amount of you would LIKE to see a re-make, it is all the more possible for Toei to make one.

Oh, and I wish to correct my last statement in my first post. I also would go for the E option, but only covering the DBZ saga (no DB and DBGT). So, it's B and E altogether. Very Happy
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

kevin449

Post by kevin449 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:41 pm

I would go to the remake of the manga. It could be possible thanks to the renewed interest in Japan it just might happen. I heard rumors that toriyama's dr.slump is gettin a anime remake :roll:.
Goku:HYAAAH!
Buu:Haa...Haaa
Vegeta:What the hell is going on here?

Sorry for this,it's my attempt at humor.
Hahaha!

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:00 pm

E!
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:07 pm

I'm aiming more towards E, and ONLY if Toriyama was involved with the develoupment. That, or I'd go with Choice C.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:24 pm

I say we go with either A or E. I'd love an alternate storyline...Goku and Bulma marriage? :o
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:29 pm

I'll also go with C. The canon storyline with no fillers in a remake? I'd be all over it. And fortunately , as you've pointed out, it's a possibility.

But even if it is a possibility, I think it'll be a few years before we see a true remake. I can see a movie or two being made, or perhaps an OVA, but it'll be awhile before there's a complete remake, if any.

Well, here's to hoping we do get one. :roll:
[b]PSN: Mune-sama[/b]

Add me for some HD Remix or SF4.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:46 pm

Great thread! :D The thought of remaking one of the series had once crossed my mind, but I always thought that the chances were futile. After the way you said it, I start to wonder...

I would really love to see Dragonball Z remade (B), with the storyline made much more dramatic (not that it isn't already). Some of the inconsistencies should be removed, but that doesn't mean removing the whole Garlic Junior saga. Instead, the script should be adjusted to make it flow with the rest of the story. There should be more character development, and the artwork made consistent. However, I wouldn't like it if the voice actors were changed. :(

The phenomenon of Dragonball Z will inevitably die down; children of the future will be watching rubbish cartoons, and Dragonball Z will only exist within our hearts (when we're old men). To overcome that, it needs to be revamped and made known once again! Nothing would make me more happy than to see it return.

It would be best to bury Dragonball GT. Y'know, like it never
happened. :wink:
theoriginalbilis wrote:As for music, I know Shunsuke Kikuchi's BGM is great, but I think they should try to create some new BGM for the remake, with a new orchestrated score.
What about Bruce Faulconer? Some of his pieces are too good to be pushed aside. Some should be kept! The "Ultimate Uncut" edition's score is great too.
theoriginalbilis wrote:... see more baby Goten and Trunks, Chi-chi sparring w/ Goten, Vegeta and Bulma TRYING to be parents...
Yeah! More family life!

Why shouldn't Dragonball Z be remade? C'mon, Toei!
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:47 pm

kevin449 wrote:I would go to the remake of the manga. It could be possible thanks to the renewed interest in Japan it just might happen. I heard rumors that toriyama's dr.slump is gettin a anime remake :roll:.
To my knowledge, it did get a remake. Just look here

http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedi ... php?id=972

EDIT: Oh yeah & I pretty much agree with slickmasterfunk in terms of making a completely new storyline, only if Toriyama does the writing.

JPA82

Post by JPA82 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:57 pm

If anything, I would like to see a new series which takes place right after the Z series, because I didn't care too much for the GT series. Also, a new movie with all new animation would be welcomed with open arms.

That's it. Nothing else.

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:12 am

Kaze no Mune wrote:But even if it is a possibility, I think it'll be a few years before we see a true remake.
I agree. Remember that Atari "released" their first DBZ game in 2002, and they got the rights around 1999. So, even if they decide TODAY, we would possibly see it in 2008 or something.

Snail

Post by Snail » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:46 am

My dream would be for option A to come true, but I seriously doubt it haha. Option C and E sounds great, ahh I cannot decide. I'd definitely love to see something like this occur in the future.

In an honest opinion regarding the new animation, I really dislike it right now, i.e. Intro to Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2, 3, and in a recent update on Daizex.com which featured that gameshow video presented on youtube.com. I'm not saying the animation is really horrid, of course it isn't, but I just feel like it's nothing compared to what was done in movie 12, and 13, and in certain moments within the series. This is just my opinion of course, but I wonder if anybody else notices, and agrees.