Timeline for Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Timeline for Super?

Post by Skar » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:28 pm

I watched the new episode this morning and I'm confused when it's supposed to take place. They summon Shenron so it has to be a year after Freeza was wished back but is it at the end of Age 779 or beginning of Age 780?

Age 778: Battle of Gods movie/saga
Beginning to middle of 779: Freeza resurrected
second half of 779: Freeza's revenge
End of 779/Beginning of 780: Champa saga

Are there any official sources for when BoG and RoF take place besides the year? There's still Bulma's line about not seeing Goku for five year so that means last time she saw him was in Age 779. It might still fit if it was early in 780 and she rounded up. It's also possible that Toriyama simply forgot about that line. Another question, has Shenron ever been summoned before when less than a year has passed? Many questions!

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Timeline for Super?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:10 pm

There's no official timeline for Super and there's nothing about when the arcs or films take place beyond the years.
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:This has been my rough timeline for Super's new version of events, based on the film's general placements and supplemental info.
**The manga adaptation doesn't include the Shenlong summoning to find the Super Dragon Ball, so it could still be in AGE 779 the next day after Golden Freeza's defeat without a problem.
The 5 year line is pretty much null for the anime at this point (it can still possibly work for the Super manga adaptation though). Not that it really matters. The line isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things. We should be worrying more about whether they'll remember Bra in time to have her born in the little time left for AGE 780. If she isn't already conceived between Episodes 27 and 28, that's a bigger hiccup (unless they don't want to follow the bigger supplemental material elements...though they still did with Pan's birth).

Shenlong has been summoned early three times, two of which were special circumstances.
--The first was at the very beginning of the series, when Toriyama's math only added up to 8 months passing between the Pilaf and Red Ribbon Arcs instead of a year.
--The second was after Piccolo Daimao's defeat, when Kami made a special exception to restore Shenlong after Daimao killed him and allow him to grant a wish.
--The third was during the Freeza Arc, when Kami and Piccolo were revived from death. It either allowed Shenlong to recharge early for some reason (or Kami reenergized him again).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:48 pm

I'm more worried about Goten/Trunks/Marron grow up, than Super fit in the main timeline.
We are having some timeskips in Super, and these three just don't change.

Champa arc seems to takes place 8 months after ROF, since that's enough for the DBs to be usable again(including Freeza's 4 months training timeskip).
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:54 pm

I'm worried about the three of them having not grown yet (and in Marron's case, having shrunk) + Bra. They're getting very close to the time period where she's supposed to be conceived.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:59 pm

Thank you TheDevilsCorpse! Is it possible that Toriyama had a different date in mind for BoG than one from the old V-Jump issue? If BoG took place earlier in Age 778 then could it be possible that Freeza was wished back towards the end of the same year while his revenge took place in Age 779? Gohan has his End of Z and Toriyama emphasized that the final manga chapters were still the ending so I don't think he would retcon it. He does overlook minor details or might ignore them but purposely retconning the ending would mean Super has its own continuity separate from the manga and DBZ/Kai. He said he was writing BoG as a continuation of the manga so it seems like he's trying to make it fit as much as he can based on what he remembers. I think it's more likely that he forgot about the 5 year line or accidentally had Shenron summoned earlier. We'll find out after the Champa saga hopefully.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:04 pm

Age 774 - Buu saga
Age 775 - Wrath of the Dragon (Not officially, but makes sense given how Hoi would have to wait to use the Dragon Balls again since Goku use them to erase the memories of Majin Buu)
Age 776 - Son Goku and His Friends Return
Age 778 - Battle of Gods/Start of Super
Age 779 - Revival of F/Champa saga
Age 784 - End of DBZ

Episode 1 of Super says some time has pass, so it's very likely that the start of Super is in the same time period as BOG. As for character ages, I think they are just too lazy to make Goten and Trunks look older.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:10 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm worried about the three of them having not grown yet (and in Marron's case, having shrunk) + Bra. They're getting very close to the time period where she's supposed to be conceived.
Like I mentioned above while trying to make sense out of a lot of stuff that just barely fits together, they're likely beyond that. Unless they're planning to retcon her birth year, they're reaching the point where she needs to be born, because there's not enough time left for a ~9 month gestation in the one she's currently assigned to.
Skar wrote:Thank you TheDevilsCorpse! Is it possible that Toriyama had a different date in mind for BoG than one from the old V-Jump issue? If BoG took place earlier in Age 778 then could it be possible that Freeza was wished back towards the end of the same year while his revenge took place in Age 779? Gohan has his End of Z and Toriyama emphasized that the final manga chapters were still the ending so I don't think he would retcon it. He does overlook minor details or might ignore them but purposely retconning the ending would mean Super has its own continuity separate from the manga and DBZ/Kai. He said he was writing BoG as a continuation of the manga so it seems like he's trying to make it fit as much as he can based on what he remembers. I think it's more likely that he forgot about the 5 year line or accidentally had Shenron summoned earlier. We'll find out after the Champa saga hopefully.
I have no idea when Toriyama was thinking about it taking place, but if you move it to take place earlier (even just a couple days), then Pan's age doesn't line up with what we're told in the series. Everything stated in Super thus far works, but it's a really tight fit It's actually kind of ridiculous how you start causing problems by trying to shift pretty much anything in that timeline beyond the ranges i already have set up. Then the question becomes whether you feel said problem is important enough to worry about.

I think it's important to note here that we don't know if Toriyama was behind the idea to have Shenlong summoned to search for the Super Dragon Ball. Like I mentioned, it wasn't in the manga adaptation, so it could be an idea that originated with the anime staff thinking they would try to show off how what Champa said about the regular Dragon Balls having their limits was true...only to potentially cause bigger problems with an unnecessary 8 month time skip for basically no good reason.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:25 pm

This is all very annoying, i like the 749-784 timeline , hopefully they will correct these things (Bra and 5 years bit, but Bra is more important).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:43 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Episode 1 of Super says some time has pass, so it's very likely that the start of Super is in the same time period as BOG.
If it's set 4 years after then wouldn't it make more sense to say a few years have passed ?

Another thing is the prize $$$, why would Satan wait 4 years to give Goku the $$$ ?

I know BOG was made to fit in between Buu's defeat and EOZ but it seems like Super isn't taking EOZ into account and might give us a new ending.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:48 pm

Despite all these problems, i'm pretty sure the ending is staying, new one would be totally pointless.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:54 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I think it's important to note here that we don't know if Toriyama was behind the idea to have Shenlong summoned to search for the Super Dragon Ball. Like I mentioned, it wasn't in the manga adaptation, so it could be an idea that originated with the anime staff thinking they would try to show off how what Champa said about the regular Dragon Balls having their limits was true...only to potentially cause bigger problems with an unnecessary 8 month time skip for basically no good reason.
That makes the most sense to be honest. I think Shenron being summoned again so early is the only thing that conflicts with the timeline. Other than that everything else seems to fit fine. I really wish there was a way to see Toriyama's script for the U6 saga to know what ideas came from him and what were filler :P.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:17 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I think it's important to note here that we don't know if Toriyama was behind the idea to have Shenlong summoned to search for the Super Dragon Ball. Like I mentioned, it wasn't in the manga adaptation, so it could be an idea that originated with the anime staff
..or Toyotaro skipped it because he's the manga writer, not Toriyama, and he works under serious time restraints, rushing to the point every month. Which is a lot more likely if you ask me.

In fact, i think Toriyama seems more inclined to overlook minor issues like that than the anime staff, lol. The way they fixed mistakes in his RoF script (Bulma claiming she met Freeza), or Shenlong's number of wishes, are good examples.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Toyotaro has been very passionate about his official projects in the franchise and is pretty well versed in the franchise lore. He usually always finding ways to slip something in for fans to enjoy better than Toei does, or trying to make a bit more sense out of things fans seem to have problems with as well. Even under his restraints of having to condense the story, I'd have trouble believing that Toyotaro would cut out one of the few indicators of time passing in the franchise without at least putting in a suitable replacement via narration or whatever.

ellis-bas

Post by ellis-bas » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:47 am

Narrator: “And then, six months later…everybody’s memories of Boo were erased by the power of the Dragon Balls. Some time has passed since then.”
Significance: Establishes the timeframe for the series. Some promotional material in Jump has described the series as “half a year” (ie six months) after the battle with Boo, but according to the narration here there’s at least a little bit more time than that.
Something has been bugging me about all this timeline discussion since episode 29. The fact checker states that the series starts at least 6 months after Buu but isn't any more specific than that. So I've missed something somewhere, because now I'm reading that the start of the series is "almost definitely" (quantitatively speaking) 4 years later? Granted there's been a lot of water under the bridge since episode 1 - but when was this 4-year time-frame established? Is this from the Revival F supplement material?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:11 am

The characters in the BOG arc look the same as they do in the film which is four years after Buu. It's safe to assume that Super starts in the same time era as BOG movie does.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:34 am

ellis-bas wrote:When was this 4-year time-frame established ?
It was established for the movie but as of now the only thing we know about Super is "a few months have passed since Goku wished for Buu to be erased from people's memories"
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:28 am

sintzu wrote:
ellis-bas wrote:When was this 4-year time-frame established ?
It was established for the movie but as of now the only thing we know about Super is "a few months have passed since Goku wished for Buu to be erased from people's memories"
No, the wish was six month after Boo's defeat and THEN some time passed. It's 4 years because of Pan.

ellis-bas

Post by ellis-bas » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:34 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:The characters in the BOG arc look the same as they do in the film which is four years after Buu. It's safe to assume that Super starts in the same time era as BOG movie does.
Right - I knew it must have been somewhere.
While I understand the logic of your statement, part of me figures that, having "revised" both movies for the series, any and all information from said films has been reneged and anything that is common to both has, in fact, just been assimilated into a new Super timeline. The reason I say this is because (and I appreciate the marketing angle, etc.) neither Maron, Goten or Trunks have aged at all - which they probably wouldn't have in only 6~12 months post-Buu. 4 years though does start to create ageing issues. Though I guess this doesn't answer the question of why they weren't aged for the films...

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:41 pm

ellis-bas wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:The characters in the BOG arc look the same as they do in the film which is four years after Buu. It's safe to assume that Super starts in the same time era as BOG movie does.
While I understand the logic of your statement, part of me figures that, having "revised" both movies for the series, any and all information from said films has been reneged and anything that is common to both has, in fact, just been assimilated into a new Super timeline.
As a matter of fact the movies themselves don't state when they are supposed to take place. Only in BoG we know it's after they met Tarble, which was back in the Yo Son Goku special, which specifically stated it took place 2 years after Majin Buu's defeat.
Guidebooks and official websites filled in the blanks.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:56 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
ellis-bas wrote:
While I understand the logic of your statement, part of me figures that, having "revised" both movies for the series, any and all information from said films has been reneged and anything that is common to both has, in fact, just been assimilated into a new Super timeline.
As a matter of fact the movies themselves don't state when they are supposed to take place. Only in BoG we know it's after they met Tarble, which was back in the Yo Son Goku special, which specifically stated it took place 2 years after Majin Buu's defeat.
Guidebooks and official websites filled in the blanks.
Pan is the key.