Anyone else miss saiyan tails

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Anyone else miss saiyan tails

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:27 pm

I really miss them. They were a nice little way to separate saiyans from humans. I know why they were removed, but I really liked that distinguishing trait. Kinda like how elves have pointy ears, Fairies have wings and vary on size, etc. Considering tons of anime have spiky haired characters, saiyans kinda blended in too much with humans. I don't mind humanoids, but I usually like some distinguishing trait that makes them look alien. When looking back on the earlier parts of Dragon Ball, I really miss Goku's tail. It was also neat how he used it in combat occasionally.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Anyone else miss saiyan tails

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:40 pm

I also miss the tails. I get they were tiring for Toriyama to draw, but drawing isn't what he's currently doing for DB, so I don't see why he had to fully retire them in Super with the Uni 6 saiyans not having tails at all either.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:12 am

I don't really care. They added nice quirks at times, but that was mostly with the kid characters. With the adult pure Saiyans, they mostly kept them wrapped and so there was very little added character, and thus very little point to them.

Not to mention that even if Toriyama isn't drawing them, it would still cause the same problems for the animators if/when they are unwrapped. It was already evident with Beerus and Freeza, where you only got good tail animations on rare occasions. So, until the animation schedule sorts itself out (if it ever does), the tails just seem like extra, unnecessary effort.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:49 am

I was just reading Piccolo Daimou Arc & watched RRA Arc yesterday. Goku used his tail extensively in those 2 Arc, which actually feels unique.

I wouldnt say I missed them. It was necesarry part of Toriyama's evolution, along with how talking animals were gradually replaced with humans in the series

I kinda liked how Veggie & Gohan without tail looked much more humanoid. Can you imagine Gohan goin to college with tail on his backs?

Would've preferred tails for Goten & Trunks though

Zenith

Post by Zenith » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:01 am

I do kind of miss them, to be honest. Having re-watched GT recently and seeing how Toei tied Super Saiyan 4 to the old Oozaru heritage of the Saiyans made me appreciate it a bit more. That said, I do think I'm in the minority, and most of the fanbase has probably long forgotten about them or don't even care at all.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:59 pm

Personally I'm pretty saddened by the dismissal of the Saiyans tails as its a huge huge part of their history as a race and source of power. It's almost got to the power where its disrespectful...

This is why I love SSJ4 because if you've watched since original DB and not just the DBZ series you can appreciate that since the beginning Goku was more than just some goofy strong kid with a tail. That defining characteristic always makes his complete and total ability to annihilate things possible. I wish they would do more with Saiyans and their more feral sides. Honestly this topic alone makes me extremely sad as we have people who just want the shonen aspects of DBZ and no respect for the underlying lore.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:49 pm

I miss them as they are the "missing link" between a Saiyan and the SSJ 4 transformation.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:27 pm

I could care less about the tails lol

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:45 pm

Not really. I never really care for Saiyan tails to begin with honestly. It was a cute addition to the Saiyan characters and certainly helped them stand out in a way, but once Super Saiyan became a thing, tails became completely redundant. You could it became old hat. Or... old tail. :P

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:27 pm

I miss them because they add to the "alien character" of the Saiyans, a visual reminder that they are not quite the same as humans. Especially now where we might be getting a true Saiyan culture, I would have liked that visual difference, not just "super strong humans with glowing hair".

I have no problem with Earth Saiyans making a choice to cut off tails to affirm their desire to blend in, but even that is a cultural statement. Just saying "oh, they are gone!" seems weak.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:23 pm

irreality wrote:I miss them because they add to the "alien character" of the Saiyans, a visual reminder that they are not quite the same as humans. Especially now where we might be getting a true Saiyan culture, I would have liked that visual difference, not just "super strong humans with glowing hair".

I have no problem with Earth Saiyans making a choice to cut off tails to affirm their desire to blend in, but even that is a cultural statement. Just saying "oh, they are gone!" seems weak.
This is exactly what bothers me. It was a unique alien characteristic. Now they feel more like super powered humans rather than aliens. Several anime have spiky haired heroes, and hair/transformations for humans. Without tails, saiyans look pretty much like anyone else, which takes away from their alien factor. Imagine if Goku never had it in the original series.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:30 pm

The story has been so far separated from the Oozaru lore at this point I doubt its really even remembered. Nobody has had a tail since the Vegeta fight, and outside it and SS4, the tails really didn't mean anything even in the series but signify that they can transform. GT did try to revive it into relevance again, but since the divergence, its most likely going to be abandoned into lost obscurity.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

trick007z
Beyond Newbie

Post by trick007z » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:01 pm

It works on a kid who can kind of have the whole monkey boy thing going on. For an adult, unless you are really planning on utilizing the moon, it doesn't have much of use.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:13 pm

I mean, it is still an extra *limb*. Doesn't matter how strong you are, seems like that could be useful or visually interesting, even if Oozaru is never used.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:02 pm

Oozaru "great ape" should be re established and have the form much smaller (actually similar to Dragonball Evolution).
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:55 am

Tails? Tails are the least of my worries.

Super has shitted on everything that made a saiyan a saiyan.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:57 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Super has shitted on everything that made a saiyan a saiyan.
Care to elaborate?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:42 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Tails? Tails are the least of my worries.

Super has shitted on everything that made a saiyan a saiyan.
+1billion multiplied by God Whis, Beerus, Goku, and Vegeta's God Power levels combined!!!! Ugh!

Seriously, for those who were introduced to the series in Dragonball there was an established lore which the Oozaru form was a major part of who Goku was and why he was different.
Z started out fine but went stupid with the power levels and transformations.
GT was great since it circled back to what made Goku, Goku which at its core is being a saiyan.

I keep breaking it down this way but if your first introduction to the DB universe is via DBZ then you have no appreciation for the entire Dragonball lore that was established prior to Z.

If you like DB, but not DBZ, you probably like GT and not Super.
If you like DBZ, but not DB, you probably like Super, and not GT.

If you like DB, DBZ, and GT, they you are probably waiting to see how they will keep them all canon like I am.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:21 pm

I do kinda miss tails. even though I don't love GT like the original and Z, I thought the part of Goku having his tail pulled back out again was funny.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:30 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I do kinda miss tails. even though I don't love GT like the original and Z, I thought the part of Goku having his tail pulled back out again was funny.
Yeah but it sounds like you don't hate it either which has a lot to do with appreciating the original Dragonball and Goku's journey.