Thoughts on Piccolo Daimao

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Thoughts on Piccolo Daimao

Post by Vijay » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:59 am

He is the 1st true evil badass villain who transformed the entire landscape of DragonBall from being a show focused on searching DB's & Tenkaichi Budoukai format into this grand scale of world-saving heroic one-manship of epic proportion.

Guys like Frieza, Cell & Boo are great no doubt. In fact, they greatly overshadow Daimou as the Power Chain & feats would grow increasingly out of hands. Planet busting, solar system busting etc

Hence the reason why I pop this topic.

I personally find Piccolo Daimoi to be an exceptional villain. His backstory was top-notch. Anime filler especially highlighted the dark & creepy sense of terror Daimou brings to the fore.

His design was great. Sick as Old. Intimidating as f*** upon attaining his Youth

His plans were great imo. Creating off-springs via eggs & using them to acheive his goal. Not to mention his twisted sense of justice, similar to how in Dark Knight Rises where evil triumps over good & humanity hangs in balance.

His epic fights with Goku (2 Rounds) were all-out & actually sets the bar for upcoming battles in Saiyan, Frieza Arc etc

Thoughts?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Thoughts on Piccolo Daimou

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Favorite villain after Freeza and Evil Boo (Super Boo in the dub). I just feel that the arc ended too soon after he took over the world.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:46 pm

He's an idiot once God is introduced and, as an antagonist, he's boring and uninteresting. His backstory with God is, really, the only interesting part about his character, but that was glossed over and not given the proper time to be developed. I think Goku's fight with him was pretty meh, outside of the finishing blow.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:47 pm

Fantastic villain. Only bested by Freeza. On top of being the first villain to ever "win", he was responsible for one of the most intense battles in the history of the franchise, and was the first major villain to ever display tactic and battle smarts. There really needs to be more love for King Piccolo.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:59 pm

King Piccolo was one of the only few villains besides Freeza that actually thought ahead. King Piccolo wanted to wipe out all of the martial artists in the world, then he one shotted Shenron to make sure nobody can make another wish. I wouldn't call him a genius by any means, but he did have some tactics up his sleeve. His son, Piccolo, inherited these traits.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:16 pm

He definitely was an awesome villain. When he destroyed Shenron I was like whoa did not expect that lol.

DuckBoy

Post by DuckBoy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:29 pm

Love him, my favorite villain in the whole series, haha. Something about him is just so great..!

Hey, Where's my Resurrection P ;)?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:29 pm

King Piccolo blasting the dragon was one of the most shocking moments for me when I was younger. Like who ever thought Shenron could be killed?

Dotogam
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dotogam » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:52 am

His design is what made me interested in him. Then his tactics and the fact that he just Murdered Shenlong after attaining his Youth was insane to me. And he went out in one of the most glorious ways possible.
How I relax, crawling into bed with my laptop and browsing Kanzenshuu.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:20 am

precita wrote:King Piccolo blasting the dragon was one of the most shocking moments for me when I was younger. Like who ever thought Shenron could be killed?
It's a feat that has not been replicated. Plus, he was the first villain to successfully use the Dragon Balls.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:59 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
precita wrote:King Piccolo blasting the dragon was one of the most shocking moments for me when I was younger. Like who ever thought Shenron could be killed?
It's a feat that has not been replicated. Plus, he was the first villain to successfully use the Dragon Balls.
only villain (canon)
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:29 pm

Outside of his impressive accomplishments (destroying Shenron, successfully taking over the world) and his ties to other main characters at the time (Krillin's death, Roshi's teacher's death, being Kami's other half, and creating Piccolo Jr.), he's not that interesting a villian. His arc was very entertaining though.
Last edited by Man-Child on Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:56 pm

I very much like his arc but he isn't one of my favorite villains. I love the backstory, which crosses with Kami (later) and Master Roshi's / Tsuru Sennin master. Plus he did toke control of the World, unfortunately that was pretty short and could've be been explored.

What I dislike is his cowardliness. Specially because at first, I saw it as intelligence and while the arc unfolded, it was clear he was just a traumatized and scared Demon, all because of Mutaito. Those aren't appealing traits for me.
Not to take away from his tactics but make the parallel with Piccolo, who instead of killing everybody out of fear, developed a counter-measure for the Mafuba.
His relieved face when he saw Goku was doing a Kamehameha, instead of the Mafuba is priceless.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:03 pm

apex_pretador wrote:only villain (canon)
Sorbet.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:14 pm

What I dislike is his cowardliness. Specially because at first, I saw it as intelligence and while the arc unfolded, it was clear he was just a traumatized and scared Demon, all because of Mutaito. Those aren't appealing traits for me.
You are supposed to dislike villains. Villains should be dirtbags and not people you like, otherwise, why have a villain. And it makes sense that he's afraid of the one thing that stopped him. Other than that, he's fearless.

I love Piccolo Daimao. He's pure evil, but as has been pointed out, he occassionally shows fear. He might be pure evil, but he has panache and a cool design.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:37 pm

ABED wrote:
You are supposed to dislike villains. Villains should be dirtbags and not people you like, otherwise, why have a villain. And it makes sense that he's afraid of the one thing that stopped him. Other than that, he's fearless.

I love Piccolo Daimao. He's pure evil, but as has been pointed out, he occassionally shows fear. He might be pure evil, but he has panache and a cool design.
One's suppose to root against villains can't mean we have to dislike them. I like most other DB villains and they're unforgivable bastards, I evaluate them as characters and not as people.
He's not fearless, when Goku proves he can keep up, Daimao loses it. Making a hostage and damaging all of Goku's limbs until he felt safe. He wasn't even behind in the fight.
He's doesn't have the charisma of other villains. When he's on top, he brags and acts mightily but when he's brought down a notch he's pretty pathetic.
Just my opinion.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Golden frieza was pretty pathetic as well.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:15 pm

Saiyan_nation_ wrote:Golden Freeza was pretty pathetic as well.
Man, now thats a watered-down Mecha-Frieza, who was watered-downed version of his Namek/Frieza self

And you cant use "hey, he was a movie villain with limited screen-time" arguement as guys like Slug, Cooler, Broly, Janemba & Hirudergarn accomplished much more in their relatively short stint without being overly drama-king/queens

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:16 pm

The first real villain of the manga. Evil, smart, with a very intimidating design, perfect for the role.
I loved his passion in terrorizing people, and his propensity for psychological terrorism.

Some might not like the ""cowardly"" way in which he acted (I personally prefer the villain acting with more pride) but, in fact, his tactic of taking Tenshinhan hostage, almost allowed him to win (good move)

Then, at the end he too behaved in a rather stupid, attacking Goku from above with a energy blast, instead to finish him off immediately , but for obvious reasons of plot, he had to lose

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:09 pm

He's not fearless, when Goku proves he can keep up, Daimao loses it. Making a hostage and damaging all of Goku's limbs until he felt safe. He wasn't even behind in the fight.
That's not fear as much as him being angry and... evil (Dr. Evil pink gesture)!
He's doesn't have the charisma of other villains. When he's on top, he brags and acts mightily but when he's brought down a notch he's pretty pathetic.
Just my opinion.
I completely disagree, villains are supposed to have negative qualities, like bragging and being pathetic. I also think he has a lot of charisma.
One's suppose to root against villains can't mean we have to dislike them. I like most other DB villains and they're unforgivable bastards, I evaluate them as characters and not as people.
It's hard to root against characters you find likable.
Then, at the end he too behaved in a rather stupid, attacking Goku from above with a energy blast, instead to finish him off immediately , but for obvious reasons of plot, he had to lose
It's not plot reasons. Goku was immobilized but he's still powerful and Piccolo needed a big attack.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.