How has Piccolo Daimao been forgotten by people?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

How has Piccolo Daimao been forgotten by people?

Post by kei17 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:56 pm

Everytime I read/watch the Piccolo Daimao arc, one big question about its plot arises: How could people forget all the destructions and massacre by Piccolo Daimao within only three hundred years? 300 sounds like quite a big number, but it's a very short period of time from human history perspective. If the same thing happaned in our real world, I don't think we could forget it only within hundreds of years.

As you can see in the Buu arc, the common people in the DB world do seem dumb, but are there any other possible reasons other than just they're so dumb that they forget things easily?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: How has Piccolo Daimao been forgotten by people?

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:10 pm

Ignoring "Toriyama didn't think about it" one could always assume that television didn't exist at the time of the original Piccolo Daimaou conquest. Clearly there was television during his second conquest but we do see that the people of Earth would rather place their faith in the Mister Satans of the world, rather than any sort of Piccolo Daimaou, so perhaps they all just thought they were under an illusion and the World King decided it would be best to leave the dog lay?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:21 pm

If you saw an 8+ foot tall demon alien destroy a whole city with just the wave of his hand and shit you wouldn't believe any of it was true.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:29 pm

Potential technology would definitely be a part of it. Just look at how fast things have progressed in the last 100 years. If the DragoN World's Earth was as primitive as we were 300 years ago, the stories may have become little more than a myth if the tales weren't actively passed down (or the survivors decided not to tell those stories). There are plenty of things in history I was taught during school that I probably wouldn't have bothered to look into on my own, and I'm sure there are probably just as many events that those classes never bothered to teach us.

But that may give the people too much credit. Really, as you've already mentioned, the plot of Dragon ball renders most of the human population fairly stupid.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:41 pm

Humans in general are stupid. Dragon Ball's just keeping it real. :P
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:03 am

I always assumed it was known to some people out there, but only as a legend, rather than an actual piece of history. Didn't Yajirobe seem to know about Daimao once he was on his way if I recall? Anyway, as has already been suggested, I'd just assume technology wasn't nearly what it was in the current timeline back then, so the story kind of just faded into legend rather than going down into the history books.

I've always wondered more about how the general populace forgot about his return though...or all the crazy things they used to regularly see on the seemingly-highly-televised Budokais...or the Saiyans (even if they only knew them as random aliens)...the collective memory of humankind in the Dragon Ball world definitely seems to be pretty spotty. It's almost as bad as the populace of OT TMNT. Almost. :lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:25 am

Humans in the series were surprised in the Buu saga of characters leaping into the air and throwing energy attacks. When only 20 something years earlier they had Goku and others do that at the tournaments

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:04 am

So, these are possibilities brought up so far:
  • Undeveloped technology
    This sounds plausible because science technology has drastically developed over 300 years in our world. However, in the DB universe, electric rice cookers already existed at the time, which suggests that their technology had already reached at the level of ours in the 1950s at least. It is possible that their technology underwent a little different way of development compared to ours, but with the usage of electricity, I doubt that they couldn't invent any machines and intelligence network that can transfer faithful information about a huge threat to the mankind.
  • People didn't believe what happened
    We are not given enough evidence, but according to stories told by some characters, it was a threat that is huge enough to terrorize the entire world. With their technology, it is very unlikely that the majority could assume it was all just a false recognition by some witnesses. In addition, Piccolo Daimao seems to like media exposure and uses it to terrorize humans.
  • Humans are stupid
    As I pointed out in the original post, this idea is excluded. It's because there's no objective evidence about their intelligence and memory or the relations between that and their oblivion of a historical event. Anyway, to be honest, it's just that this idea is not fun at all.
By the way, in the course of the discussion, I came across to a non-in-universe question: What was the point of people forgetting the event of Piccolo Daimao? Couldn't the plot serve fine even if the common people acknowledged him and what he did 300 years ago? Maybe it would have been better that way instead.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:11 am

kei17 wrote:By the way, in the course of the discussion, I came across to a non-in-universe question: What was the point of people forgetting the event of Piccolo Daimao? Couldn't the plot serve fine even if the common people acknowledged him and what he did 300 years ago? Maybe it would have been better that way instead.
Hmm...knowing Toriyama, maybe he thought it would be simpler to just have most of the populace not remember most of the events, so as to make it easier to keep our main heroes 'secret' and 'separate' from all of that, for whahtever reason? I don't think it would really have to be that complicated, but it does seem like something Toriyama might have thought.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:57 am

Piccolo's rampage being forgotten would make more sense if it happened say thousands of years ago. Toriyama might've even considered this but perhaps he didn't like the idea of making Roshi so old. I think if he wrote Piccolo's rampage as something that occured in such a long time span and simply had Roshi say "300 years ago, a cult dedicated to Piccolo managed to awaken him but my master gave his life up to seal the demon once more!" could've made all these elements work.

As it stands, the only answer that I can come up with with the story we have, as unsatisfactory as it sounds is that DB humans are just that freaking stupid.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:59 am

At least Piccolo Daimao was compared to Bojack..........
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:06 pm

That's twice they have forgotten about him, in fact. He leveled the capital while fighting Goku.

If there was just one thing I would change about the DB universe, is precisely that. People actually remembering watching/reading about these encounters.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Honestly, the best in-universe answer I can think of is precisely that humans in DB are stupid, which is a shame. 300 years ago for us would be during the time of the colonization and exploration, which is very heavily documented. A global terror like Piccolo? He would most definitely go down in history, and it's recent enough to be something continually taught and made known as a fact. As has already been mentioned in this thread, the humans even forgot something from a few decades ago, super powered fighters in the Budokai.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 pm

What if someone gathered the Dragon Balls and wished that people forget about this whole tragedy

Or maybe Kami himself wanted people to forget about his embarrassing little evil brother

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:00 pm

I wouldn't have a problem seeing that, if the massacre was so widespread, the tiny percentage of people that survived told the story and future generations simply didn't believe it.

Even back in DB's earliest days, the many mythical and mystical aspects were treated as such; even with animal people walking around.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Korppi

Post by Korppi » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:11 pm

At least King Furry and World Tournament Announcer didn't forget Piccolo Daimao.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:05 am

Earlier on in Dragon Ball, and even further back in Roshi flashbacks we see that a lot of the world is very martial arts oriented and people are spread far apart. Eventually around Z we start to see bigger cities and more tech, things are more like they are in the real world.

Some people remember him, like the various martial arts masters in the world and King Furry, but for others he'd exist as more of an urban legend.

300 years ago for us is different because 300 years ago, there wasn't a large amount of people living in caves and forests, etc. We've had infrastructure, and are much closer knit than they were.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

tasuxeda

Post by tasuxeda » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:12 pm

One possibility is that Piccolo didn't leave many survivors who knew he existed and lead the army of demon that was attacking everyone, if Demon Clan didn't tell anyone about Piccolo then the only people who would know about Piccolo would be rare people that managed to survive him.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:25 am

Maybe someone used the Dragonballs to wish to restore the damage and erase people's memories of it?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:22 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Maybe someone used the Dragonballs to wish to restore the damage and erase people's memories of it?
That someone would have definately been Kami. Although not mentioned, he probably ensured that the memory of King Piccolo would fade away, hence making mankind less fearful, and they would live their lives peacefully. Perhaps part of a Guardian's job is to make sure some things remain a secret.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl