Do you get bothered seeing dub names?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Do you get bothered seeing dub names?

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:26 am

Oh, the word filter is removed? Awesome
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:27 am

Ajay wrote:Not particularly. It's only really "Hercule" that bugs me because... Well, it's not even remotely close to being a translation. It's just made up nonsense.
Pretty sure its just a play on Hercules.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:11 am

rereboy wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: What is the "obvious reason" I'm missing for this compared with "Tenshinhan"...?
Because it's far easier to say and reference in a casual conversation, like he said. Ten wouldn't work because it's a number. Tenshinhan is much more of a mouthful and it's not a kind of name people are used to. Tien works in those aspects.
I've never understood the rationale that Tenshinhan is somehow a mouthful. I mean, it's three syllables. Piccolo has three syllables. Vegeta has three syllables. But I never hear anyone say those are mouthfuls. I never see anyone propose they alter them to Piec or Vieg for ease of conversation.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:13 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I've never understood the rationale that Tenshinhan is somehow a mouthful. I mean, it's three syllables. Piccolo has three syllables. Vegeta has three syllables. But I never hear anyone say those are mouthfuls. I never see anyone propose they alter them to Piec or Vieg for ease of conversation.
Agreed. If you're going to say "Kamehameha", don't tell me "Tenshinhan" is difficult to say.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:30 am

Chuquita wrote:"Frieza" is the only one that bothers me. "ei" and "ie" words can be a hassle to me sometimes. That's actually my main reason for preferring "Freeza". Also I like it better when it sounds like it looks. It's free-za, not fry-za after all.
I never understood this. There are plenty of oft-used words I English that have the "ee" sound and use the "ie" spelling. Believe and relief/relieve are the first that come to mind. English is just weird like that.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:32 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
rereboy wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: What is the "obvious reason" I'm missing for this compared with "Tenshinhan"...?
Because it's far easier to say and reference in a casual conversation, like he said. Ten wouldn't work because it's a number. Tenshinhan is much more of a mouthful and it's not a kind of name people are used to. Tien works in those aspects.
I've never understood the rationale that Tenshinhan is somehow a mouthful. I mean, it's three syllables. Piccolo has three syllables. Vegeta has three syllables. But I never hear anyone say those are mouthfuls. I never see anyone propose they alter them to Piec or Vieg for ease of conversation.
While it's not a mouthful as big as, say, Makankōsappō, it's still more of a mouthful than simply Tien, and the sound is more awkward to westerners than vegeta or piccolo.

Whether the added difficulty is not relevant enough to justify sacrificing the original name, and whether the choices of the dub are always coherent, that's another discussion alltogether. But the fact that it's less of a mouthful and less awkward can't really be denied.
VegettoEX wrote:Agreed. If you're going to say "Kamehameha", don't tell me "Tenshinhan" is difficult to say.
Same answer as above.
Last edited by rereboy on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:35 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:"Frieza" is the only one that bothers me. "ei" and "ie" words can be a hassle to me sometimes. That's actually my main reason for preferring "Freeza". Also I like it better when it sounds like it looks. It's free-za, not fry-za after all.
I never understood this. There are plenty of oft-used words I English that have the "ee" sound and use the "ie" spelling. Believe and relief/relieve are the first that come to mind. English is just weird like that.
Plus, regardless of the ie in the dub spelling, everyone pronounces it as if it's spelt like free-za anyhow.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:54 am

VegettoEX wrote:If you're going to say "Kamehameha", don't tell me "Tenshinhan" is difficult to say.
"Kaio-ken" is in that category as well. And "Majin Boo", I suppose. Heck, the Funi dub kept "Murasaki" as-is. Likewise Mutaito (who they typically call "Master Mutaito", for extra length). And although it's mostly English words, "Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack" is quite a mouthful. Dub terms like "Hyperbolic Time Chamber and "Instant Transmission" are long-ish as well.

Elsewhere in geekdom, Star Wars fans handle names like "Obi-Wan Kenobi" and "Qui-Gon Jinn" without breaking a sweat.

If the Funi dub had stuck with "Tenshinhan" and "Muten Roshi", no dub fan would think twice about those names, and would effortlessly use them in conversation. It's 100% a matter of what you are or are not used to.

(Although with all that said, Hawaii's Kamehameha Highway is indeed typically shortened to "Kam Highway" in everyday conversation...with the "Kam" pronounced like the first syllable in "camera", just because.)
KentalSSJ6 wrote:
Ajay wrote:Not particularly. It's only really "Hercule" that bugs me because... Well, it's not even remotely close to being a translation. It's just made up nonsense.
Pretty sure its just a play on Hercules.
Yes, it's French for "Hercules", and originates from the French DBZ dub. Amusingly enough, they weren't actually worried about the name "Satan" offending people...instead, the problem was that they had already used "Satan" to refer to Piccolo (as a way of translating his daimaou/"great demon king" title).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:57 am

I think the one I hate the most is definitely Hercule whilst others I just prefer the way they look when spelt, mainly Frieza and Buu I always thought that Freeza and Boo just look better written down even though they're pronounced the same. There are some others that come to mind like Jeice sounding more like "chase" than "cheese". Also I think that "Kurilin" would be an interesting way to spell his name but that'll never catch on.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:21 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
In German, it IS pronounced with the "ee" sound because the ie is not pronounced like "i"
I think whoever made this change was going for this, for whatever reason.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:22 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:I do get bothered a little bit, but at least now i can see who i can take serously.
No offense, but if you're really going to dismiss fellow fans over a matter as small as that, then it makes it pretty hard to take you seriously too.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:46 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:I do get bothered a little bit, but at least now i can see who i can take serously.
No offense, but if you're really going to dismiss fellow fans over a matter as small as that, then it makes it pretty hard to take you seriously too.
Ok. I was joking, but also kinda not.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:52 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Ok. I was joking, but also kinda not.
You come on way too strong.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:55 am

I do get a little annoyed when I see English dub names on Kanzenshuu. I feel like everyone is adult enough and knowledgeable enough by now to know why we shouldn't use names that were changed for no reason. I know, I know, "nostalgia" and "daily use", and whatever else, but what's wrong is wrong. The characters have names, people!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:00 am

Tyro wrote:I do get a little annoyed when I see English dub names on Kanzenshuu. I feel like everyone is adult enough and knowledgeable enough by now to know why we shouldn't use names that were changed for no reason. I know, I know, "nostalgia" and "daily use", and whatever else, but what's wrong is wrong. The characters have names, people!
You're not wrong, but at the same time, people are gonna be used to what they're used to. Sometimes even if they know and admit it's wrong. And that's okay - sometimes it'll lead to weird hang ups, but if a name is in official use in even a version of something, and that's the version a person is most used to, then there should be absolutely no shame in them using said names. Attempting to give them shame for it is only going to push them even further from ever wanting to check out said original version. It's certainly what kept me out of it for the longest time.

That and it's hardly only a Dragon Ball problem (albeit particularly prevalent in this fanbase). I still cannot bring myself to call him Eggman most of the time. To me, he's Robotnik.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:08 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Attempting to give them shame for it is only going to push them even further from ever wanting to check out said original version. It's certainly what kept me out of it for the longest time.
I wish there was a thumbs up button so I could like this. Even now when I pretty much know all the original names (except the Shadow Dragons, those guys always throw me for a loop) some of the snobby elitism of "purists" makes me cringe worse than comic book movies attempts at romances.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:31 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Attempting to give them shame for it is only going to push them even further from ever wanting to check out said original version. It's certainly what kept me out of it for the longest time.
I wish there was a thumbs up button so I could like this. Even now when I pretty much know all the original names (except the Shadow Dragons, those guys always throw me for a loop) some of the snobby elitism of "purists" makes me cringe worse than comic book movies attempts at romances.
Just call them Evil Dragons and each dragon is one Dragon Ball. The Final enemy is One Star Dragon, not Ultra Omega ShenRon.
Just like Oob is not Majoob when he became one with Mr Boo, he is still Oob or Super Oob if you will.

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:47 am

Herms wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:If you're going to say "Kamehameha", don't tell me "Tenshinhan" is difficult to say.
(Although with all that said, Hawaii's Kamehameha Highway is indeed typically shortened to "Kam Highway" in everyday conversation...with the "Kam" pronounced like the first syllable in "camera", just because.)
KentalSSJ6 wrote: Yes, it's French for "Hercules", and originates from the French DBZ dub. Amusingly enough, they weren't actually worried about the name "Satan" offending people...instead, the problem was that they had already used "Satan" to refer to Piccolo (as a way of translating his daimaou/"great demon king" title).
@VegettoEX Exactly. It seems silly to accept incorrect name only because you didn't grow up with them. Especially as they aren't hard to say in comparison to, as Herms and yourself mentioned, basic attacks you say everyday as a US fan.

@Herms how funny lol, given the history of the name that's a funny thing, but I can understand casual convo. Which brings me to the split point that, here on Kanzenshuu, you should use the correct name as often as possible (I have slipped a couple times) as it's not only casuals here, a relative portion are conessieur. It's just correct and not difficult. The other half though, is in conversation I use what I know the other party will understand for brevity sake. If it's a friend I often use correct translation and explain who that is to them if they aren't familiarized yet.

@KentalSSJ6 I didn't know it originated from that dub, nor did I know that last bit! Thank you for the information!

Though I know this isn't the topic per se, it's related: I believe I learned from VegettoEX himself back in the DaizEX days maybe 7 years ago now that Satan's name is Mark. Almost 2 years ago on Kanzenshuu I learned that Lapis and Lazuli (or Stone and Blue) were 17 and 18's given names as humans. Why do we not refer to all these characters as such? 17 and 18 are designations and official so I understand not using them, but still, and Satan is just a "stage name" of sorts for Mark is it not? His name isn't Mark Satan IIRC?
Super Saiya-jin 5 Toroten

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:55 am

Ss5Troten wrote:Though I know this isn't the topic per se, it's related: I believe I learned from VegettoEX himself back in the DaizEX days maybe 7 years ago now that Satan's name is Mark. Almost 2 years ago on Kanzenshuu I learned that Lapis and Lazuli (or Stone and Blue) were 17 and 18's given names as humans. Why do we not refer to all these characters as such? 17 and 18 are designations and official so I understand not using them, but still, and Satan is just a "stage name" of sorts for Mark is it not? His name isn't Mark Satan IIRC?
For me, that would kinda be like referring to "Goku" as "Kakarrot" all the time:
  • Honestly, that just seems kinda silly
  • Unlike "Kakarrot", the names of "Mark" and "Lapiz/Lazuli" are not pieces of widespread information that everyone knows, and cannot be learned simply by reading/watching the series; you're more likely to confuse someone by using those names (which is a separate issue from calling "Tenshinhan" as "Tien"; don't confuse the issue, and don't try to draw a parallel there)
Also, his name is not "Mark Satan". As you've noted, "Mr. Satan" is just his stage name. His name is simply "Mark". As Videl notes in the series, it's strange for people to have surnames (which she remarks due to "Son Gohan" having such a name). Much like "Dr. Brief" is likely just a guy named "Brief" that happens to be a doctor and his children don't have "Brief" as a surname, "Mark" is simply "Mark".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:56 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Just call them Evil Dragons and each dragon is one Dragon Ball. The Final enemy is One Star Dragon, not Ultra Omega ShenRon.
Just like Oob is not Majoob when he became one with Mr Boo, he is still Oob or Super Oob if you will.
Omega is too cool of a name for me not to call him that by default though :P