Best gags/jokes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Best gags/jokes

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:01 pm

Most Dragonball discussions seem to be about either Battle powers, Super's quality, or dub changes. So I wanted to make a topic with virtually no potential for controversy. (maybe). Jokes! Dragonball is an action comedy, but the comedy bit seems to be ignored by the fandom to make room for power level maths. So, this thread is for chronicling the standout gags, jests and puns, that perhaps more than any aspect of the series demonstrate the unique power of Toriyama's style of manga making.
Most of the standouts of the "Z era" are from the Buu saga. I love how when Kuririn prays to god that he doesn't have to fight some one strong, Piccolo points out that god is dende. And I don't know how this is phrased in Japanese, but in the same tournament when an official asks if Piccolo is ill because of his skin color, he replies "Away for me, man. Piccolo is green". (BTW, this is now the third time everyone has forgotten Piccolo. Get it together earthlings!!!)
From the early days, the one joke that I think is tragically unrecognized is in chapter 6. When Blooma drives the capsule boat down the river, the sound effect is "BOAAAAAT". That blew my mind , I didn't even know you could do that!

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Re: Best gags/jokes

Post by Tyro » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:13 pm

I'm fond of when Toriyama broke the fourth wall in the Boo arc by saying he doesn't have to be compensated for all the photocopies of Trunks and Goten attempting Fusion.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:19 pm

''Woof.'' :lol:
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:21 pm

Tyro wrote:I'm fond of when Toriyama broke the fourth wall in the Boo arc by saying he doesn't have to be compensated for all the photocopies of Trunks and Goten attempting Fusion.

Yeah. Toriyama doesn't do the 4th wall break very often, so it caught me by surprise. And when was the last time Toribot showed up?

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:22 pm

Draconic wrote:''Woof.'' :lol:
What's that from?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:24 pm

I love when Goku is asked in GT who uses a taxi without paying and he says "Vegeta".

Best jokes are of course the one Kaiou tells.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:06 pm

I think what I love, and find funniest about the series, is not specific bits or gags, but personality traits. Bulma and Oolong being selfish, awful people in the first arc isn't in and of itself a "gag," but the general atmosphere and feel of that storyline. Things like Oolong ready to cowardly run away from Yamcha when they first meet, but then asks Goku if he's sure he can win, gets the confirmation, and promptly starts acting like a tough guy. And then you have the series' age, which leads to a lot of unintentional hilarity. The varying bits of homophobia and sexism are humorous for a whole slew of new reasons thirty years later.

But, for a specific joke-joke, it is hard to beat Goku and Kuririn using smut novel Bob & Margaret as a textbook for learning how to read.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:09 pm

This is a Viz only joke, but
"These are Dragon Balls" "You mean some poor dragon-" :D
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:24 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
What's that from?
The 21st Tenkaichi Budokai.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:02 pm

Draconic wrote:
What's that from?
Sorry, you'll have to explain it to me. I don't remember it.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:08 pm

B wrote:I think what I love, and find funniest about the series, is not specific bits or gags, but personality traits. Bulma and Oolong being selfish, awful people in the first arc isn't in and of itself a "gag," but the general atmosphere and feel of that storyline. Things like Oolong ready to cowardly run away from Yamcha when they first meet, but then asks Goku if he's sure he can win, gets the confirmation, and promptly starts acting like a tough guy.
Indeed, I think having selfish, flawed characters is essential to humor. If a character is good and innocent in every way, you can't laugh when something bad happens to them, you just feel sorry for them. Whenever I think of the funniest shows (Gintama, Osomatsu-san) I notice that all the characters are jerks.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Draconic wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:What's that from?
Sorry, you'll have to explain it to me. I don't remember it.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:14 pm

My favorite one from a visual standpoint:

Goku4243

Post by Goku4243 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:38 pm

I'm sorry but how do you post stuff on this website

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Goku4243 wrote:I'm sorry but how do you post stuff on this website
Guide on how to post images: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 4#p1065036

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Everything about episode 16 of Super.

Holy shit, I nearly died laughing. :lol:

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:31 pm

Gokuu: "WAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa- *picks up tractor* -aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh"
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:15 pm

Can't remember episode number but it was in Super. When Goku stumbles upon Hercules little match and he gets Goku to fight for him. That's until Chi Chi shows up looking for Goku and he gets Hercule to punch him out of the ring far far away from Chi Chi :lol: I lost it at that part.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:55 pm

Tyro wrote:I'm fond of when Toriyama broke the fourth wall in the Boo arc by saying he doesn't have to be compensated for all the photocopies of Trunks and Goten attempting Fusion.
That was a great :lol: I think my favorite off the top of my head was the fight with Ninja Marusaki especially when they played hide & seek.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:21 pm

One that stands out to me, because I didn't chuckle like usual do, is Kuririn against Jackie Chun during the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai. I was laughing like crazy during their explanation, it was so ridiculous that I couldn't stop for quite some time.

Ginyu Force being hyped as terrifying. Showing up, doing a silly dance that even made Freeza slightly uncomfortable, was both funny and unsettling.