What's the best anime u watched and how it compares to DBZ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What's the best anime u watched and how it compares to DBZ?

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:17 pm

DBZ is my all time favourite anime no comparison, you can't beat childhood nostalgia and obsession. I won't ever love any other anime as much as DBZ. But it's definitely not the best anime I have watched. The best anime I have watched is Steins Gate. It was on par with some of the best movies and TV shows I have ever watched, let alone anime.

In quality if I rate Steins gate 10/10, I would rate DBZ only 6.5/10. Objectively speaking, DBZ had very stretched out scenes because of being produced alongside manga (which created lots of fillers, still scenes, screaming and staring). Also the story is quite weak and repetitive compared to SG which had plot twists every 2 episodes (which is required for time paradox anime). With that being said, I love DBZ more than Steins Gate (childhood nostalgia love > quality).

What's your best anime and how it compares to DBZ?
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: What's the best anime u watched and how it compares to D

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:30 pm

It depends since most of my favorite manga don't have proper anime adaptions (Devilman, Guyver, Battle Angel Alita ect). Feel like Dragon Ball is a decent Shonen manga and anime, but I seen better written shows and manga like Oldboy, Fist of the North Star, Monster, Captain Harlock, Mazinger, ect. Most of the stuff I like are Seinen like Golgo 13, Cowboy Bebop, Gunsmith Cats, Parasyte, The Guyver, Berserk, Getter Robo Armageddon, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Hellsing, Wicked City, ect. It would be unfair to compare Dragon Ball to them since they don't share the same genre and target audience. Compare to my other favorite Shonen series like Yu Yu Hakusho, Fist of the North Star, Devilman (it would be Seinen if it came out today), Jojo (Pre-Part 7), Fulmmetal Alchemist and Trigun, I would give DB a 7/10 and DBZ a 6/10 compare to them while those would get a 8/10-9/10 in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:50 pm

Z (the Kai version though) alongside the original DB is also my favorite anime and no matter how many I watch it'll always be my #1 even though I know it's not perfect and there are better anime out there.

My 2nd favorite is One Piece because its vibe is close to DB's but unlike DB it goes out of its way to build its world and introduce countless characters (good&evil) who get lots of screen time.

DB also had great world building and characters but One Piece has taken it to the next level.

Naruto would be my 3rd for the same reasons but it doesn't do them as good as One Piece.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:03 pm

DB anime would be my favourite I guess, while One Piece as a series (manga included) would be #1. What I like about One Piece is that the author knows where the show is going, even though it drags out. DB was written arc after arc, causing endless inconsistencies.

I feel shows like FMA, Death Note (and even newer shows like Erased) were overrated even though I liked them. While the animation was great, the shows failed to deliver upon the awesome premises they set up, and the endings had nothing particularly great to say, which is something you'd expect from short series. By nature of being shorter series, they also didn't have the amazing world building and awesome character lineups that DB/OP had.

Other shows like HxH I like because they're just so unpredictable in their plot. You never know how things will take a twist and turn. Even though looking back on it, DB and OP are more memorable, HxH did a better job of keeping you in the moment.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:03 pm

Cowboy Bebop still remains the unmatched classic of TV anime shows, in my opinion. It's just perfect in every department. Story, animation, characterisation, music (holy shit, the OST is amazing) and flawless voice acting in both the Japanese and English dub. It's not just the best TV anime ever, it's one of the best TV shows ever, period. I love Dragon Ball Z, but it's a deeply, deeply, deeply flawed show in several aspects. And compared to Cowboy Bebop, is greatly inferior in every area.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:04 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Cowboy Bebop still remains the unmatched classic of TV anime shows, in my opinion. It's just perfect in every department. Story, animation, characterisation, music (holy shit, the OST is amazing) and flawless voice acting in both the Japanese and English dub. It's not just the best TV anime ever, it's one of the best TV shows ever, period. I love Dragon Ball Z, but it's a deeply, deeply, deeply flawed show in several aspects. And compared to Cowboy Bebop, is greatly inferior in every area.
Really..I found CB really boring. Couldn't make it past 6-7 episodes

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Cowboy Bebop still remains the unmatched classic of TV anime shows, in my opinion. It's just perfect in every department. Story, animation, characterisation, music (holy shit, the OST is amazing) and flawless voice acting in both the Japanese and English dub. It's not just the best TV anime ever, it's one of the best TV shows ever, period. I love Dragon Ball Z, but it's a deeply, deeply, deeply flawed show in several aspects. And compared to Cowboy Bebop, is greatly inferior in every area.
Interesting. I will consider watching Cowboy Bebop. And yes, Dragon Ball has many flaws. It's my favorite anime but nowhere near the better anime I watched in quality.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:17 pm

The best anime are Hunter x Hunter and Fist of the North Star. Neither are very much like Dragonball at all. Hokuto is pretty sad and grimdark, being about destiny and loss more than comedy and training. ( the only comedy is when Kenshiro brutally murders people in ironic and explodey ways). HxH is about something different every arc really.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Interesting. I will consider watching Cowboy Bebop. And yes, Dragon Ball has many flaws. It's my favorite anime but nowhere near the better anime I watched in quality.
Don't just consider watching it, buy it on blu-ray too. :P

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:25 pm

Fate Zero and its not even a contest, its murders everything Dragon Ball ever on every level ever.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Dragon Ball is still my favorite series, but Devilman will always be my favorite manga ever. Go Nagai blows Toriyama out of the water in my opinion. Leiji Matsumoto, Shotaro Ishinomori, Osamu Tezuka, Hirohiko Araki and Naoki Urasawa are also my favorite manga artist and writer, I also find them to be better than Toriyama.
She/Her

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:13 pm

My favourite series could not be more different from Dragon Ball. It's a not battle shonen show at all -- in fact, it's more a drama/romance, I guess.

It's Nagi no Asukara.

It's set in a world divided by the surface of the sea. The main characters reside under the water, with the regular human world sitting on top. It's an absolutely beautifully constructed setting that rivals any of the fantasy settings found in shows like Dragon Ball.

It's a touching story about race, belonging, friendship, love, and bettering oneself. Pretty common Dragon Ball themes, right? Probably why it resonates so well with me. It's filled with comedy, drama, and occasionally action during some of the more climactic moments. I love it.

It also has two Dragon Ball connections. The main character is voiced by Natsuki Hanae aka Jaco, and the Sea God is voiced by Kosuke Toriumi who you'll know as Demigra from Xenoverse.

--

If you want my favourite "battle shonen" next to Dragon Ball, then I guess it'd have to be One Piece. Hunter x Hunter and Jojo are close contenders, but the former doesn't have the same charm, and the latter is just so wildly different that I struggle to even place it in the same realm as Dragon Ball.

I marathoned through the One Piece anime starting in December and finally finishing in late April or early May, I believe. It was definitely the first show to really invest me in the same way Dragon Ball did. The characters, the transformations, the fights, the art, the music. It all blew me away. It's one my favourite series of all time now.

The only bad thing now that I'm caught up is waiting for the manga each week. Somehow waiting for that is worse than waiting for Super.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:54 pm

I belong to an era where many of you weren't born at all. So many of my best ones are unknown to you.
Please note than in Italy, we got an anime golden age in the late '70, when TV started populating homes, and continued until mid '90, so anime was kinda a common culture factor.
An inquire demonstrate that 85% people know "Grendizer" (Goldrake) theme, while only 46% the national anthem.
Think of a series? We got it and all subbed and with theme tunes arranged by famous bands.

Dragonball Z belong to the third generation of anime in Italy (private TV channels that aim at kids, with political issues) and got cannibalized, censured and modified to a point you can't recognize it.

These are my favourites, with Dragonball (not Z) as the 4th choice and Saint Seiya as the 5th.

MIRAI SHONEN CONAN

BABIL JUNIOR

DAITARN III

======================
On a side note, you'll want to hear the italian version of theme tracks. Some of them are incredibles!
Dragonball GT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwMokUKM6A0

Tigermask: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6OC0ClptW4
Astrorobot :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiuTwzhr5mo
Starzinger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n00MobsP1PQ
Daitarn III: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VexkXsxMxU
Captain Harlock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxo3soclk_A
Samurai Troopers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQbr_RZHXE
Urusei yatsura: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvzPLp9Y_yU
Time bokna: time patrol:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v69ArZnroPo
Sasuke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-izOayNsVKk
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:34 am

You're lucky to get all of that cool anime around that time.
She/Her

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:41 am

Nothing beat DB/Z in pure battle/entertainment and blood rush! But Gundam wing series, Case Closed, Yu Yu, Rurouni Kenshin, Guyver, Blue Seed, etc, were all collectively second string. Guess Dragonball was always my favorite

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:27 am

Well Dragon Ball Z is the best anime I've watched but from a critical point of view then the best I've seen is Death Note which may not be quite as entertaining as DBZ nor are the characters as likable but the story and the character development and just the writing and pacing blow DBZ out the water.

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:37 pm

Best anime I've watched? Puella Magi Madoka Magica. How does it compare to Dragon Ball?
Well for one thing it's 12 episodes long, and has a story that was very obviously planned out ahead of time and presumably went through numerous rewrites to make the plot as coherent, consistent and well-paced as possible. Every plot-point leads nicely into the next, everything ties together, and nothing feels like it gets too much or too little screentime. Furthermore the previously mentioned "obvious planning ahead of time" aspect means that plot-twists are hinted at ahead of time in a way that isn't immediately obvious on the first viewing, but if you then go back and watch it again it suddenly becomes clear just how much info they'd technically been giving the viewer right from the very beginning, all of which ultimately comes together into what I genuinely consider just about the most perfectly fitting ending you could possibly have for a story of this nature... as long as one completely disregards the sequel which I have very mixed feelings on. It also features music by Yuki Kajiura whom I am a huge fan of, has my favorite band Kalafina performing the ending theme (which makes sense, being that Kalafina's songwriter is the afforementioned Yuki Kajiura and all), and while the animation quality has its ups and downs, the visual design of the whole thing is utterly bizarre but in a way that compliments the story perfectly...

Really, there's no contest here. While I will always have a great deal of fondness for Dragon Ball, if I try to look at it objectively it's not even in my top 20.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:45 am

"Best" kinda varies depending on exactly what qualities you're measuring, but my overall favorite would be One Piece. It puts a lot of focus on what I liked most about earlier Dragon Ball (sense of adventure/world-building, entertaining characters, a balance of serious drama and goofiness) while also having a more cohesive narrative to tie things together. More a fan of the manga these days, though. The anime...well, let's say it has a lot in common with DBZ as an adaptation.
Ajay wrote:If you want my favourite "battle shonen" next to Dragon Ball, then I guess it'd have to be One Piece. Hunter x Hunter and Jojo are close contenders, but the former doesn't have the same charm, and the latter is just so wildly different that I struggle to even place it in the same realm as Dragon Ball.

I marathoned through the One Piece anime starting in December and finally finishing in late April or early May, I believe. It was definitely the first show to really invest me in the same way Dragon Ball did. The characters, the transformations, the fights, the art, the music. It all blew me away. It's one my favourite series of all time now.

The only bad thing now that I'm caught up is waiting for the manga each week. Somehow waiting for that is worse than waiting for Super.
Huh. For whatever reason previous posts had given me the impression that you've been into OP for a while. Wouldn't have guessed that you only got into it 7-8 months ago.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:12 am

Dragon Ball is better then DBZ, so yeah. But for reals, the only other "anime" I've ever watched was a bit of YYH, I liked it a lot, but not better then DB.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Zenkashuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkashuu » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:47 am

Berserk or Claymore. Both good, can't decide.

Dragonball Z looks like kindergarten but to be honest the whole Shōnen genre does and that's ok, they have their target audience and I am not part of it anymore.