Will Goku permanently use kaioken?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Will Goku permanently use kaioken?

Post by Brettjr25 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:22 pm

I know your first response will be, no. The injured body/ki influenza Goku got was obviously an excuse to prevent constant use of the possibly broken technique. But that was kaiokenx20.

Earlier in dragon ball after goku trained hard enough to be able to surpass kaiokenx5 he always passively used kaioken. When he fought Freeza it was shown that he was using it in battle. Before he attacked he would switch it on and off, which was the excuse for why the red ki wasnt visible. The kaioken was also one of the reasons why Ginyu sucked in Goku's body. Not being able to use goku techniques like kaioken was why his power level wasnt that great.

So my question is why not with SSB? If Goku can maintain kaioken x 10 why couldn't he use x2 on and off during battle? The x2 boost would still be major in battle and put him leagues ahead of what Vegeta can accomplish.

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Re: Will Goku permanently use kaioken?

Post by JoeCapricorn » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:08 pm

He could only maintain x10 for a very brief moment, which is why he immediately charged into a massive gigantic kamehameha and tried to end the fight at that moment but it didn't work.

We might see him use it again, but only if the situation is in dire need of it. We might even see him go x20. Who knows?

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:46 pm

Honestly, x10 was complete overkill for the situation he was in. They made Goku andHit incredibly strong which blew everything out of proportion.

Yes, Goku should be able to use SsjB Kaioken x2 with little difficulty, but he won't because it wasn't in the manga. It was a cool moment during the tournament but now it creates a plot hole where Goku won't use it because it'll distort his Ki for how long? A day? Yeah right. Goku always used Kaioken even though he knew the consequences yet in Super he is going to say "Its too risky."

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:01 pm

MadSaiyantist wrote:Honestly, x10 was complete overkill for the situation he was in. They made Goku andHit incredibly strong which blew everything out of proportion.

Yes, Goku should be able to use SsjB Kaioken x2 with little difficulty, but he won't because it wasn't in the manga. It was a cool moment during the tournament but now it creates a plot hole where Goku won't use it because it'll distort his Ki for how long? A day? Yeah right. Goku always used Kaioken even though he knew the consequences yet in Super he is going to say "Its too risky."
What do you mean by it wasnt in the manga? Super anime predates the manga. So I dont see any reason why he wont use ssb x2 against black or whoever he goes up against. X2 put such little stress on his body, that using it practically should be fine.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:06 pm

Knowing Goku, he will use it if there is no other choice, duh. :P

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Only in dire and desperate situations do I see Goku using the Kaioken in a similar scenario like he did against Hit. I mean, it nearly freaking killed him.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:20 pm

He probably will but its detriments are unlikely to come back ever again.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:03 pm

If they bring Kaioken back again, it would just be lazy as fuck. We get it -- it's a power-up that takes precise ki control to use and it'll probably fuck up your body. It's narrative purpose is so played out. Just focus on new techniques. These transformations and power-ups are stale.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Having Kaioken back for that one moment in the anime was a nice throwback to the old days, but to have it as a permanent thing..? Nah.

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:36 am

Brettjr25 wrote: What do you mean by it wasnt in the manga? Super anime predates the manga. So I dont see any reason why he wont use ssb x2 against black or whoever he goes up against. X2 put such little stress on his body, that using it practically should be fine.
Nevermind. I keep forgetting that the anime and manga are two different continuities at this point. My original thought was that Toriyama didn't include Kaioken in Toyotaro's version, so he won't use it in the future either. This isn't going to stop Toei from shoe horning it in anyways.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:34 am

The way Super drops plot points it's possible he won't ever use it again. He might just get some new form instead.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147