If Super landed on a Kids channel, what would be censored

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

If Super landed on a Kids channel, what would be censored

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:24 pm

I saw that Viz thing, and I think that it could be interesting to see what would be censored if Toei decided to give the license to a kids channel. Funimation REALLY got a lot better with Censorship, no ANOTHER DIMENSION bullshit, but it would still need some.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Re: If Super landed on a Kids channel, what would be censore

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:31 pm

If Spain's kids channel boing gets dragon ball super, then it'll be censored a lot.
They censored an scen of Finn spiting another kid from adventure time, and it's ADVENTURE TIME, they censored other series, and when dragon ball z used to air at 14:00/15:00, the channel change it to 24:00 when every single kid wasn't awake.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:33 pm

Would it really? The violence is already less graphic, and it's not like there's any naked Gokuu's walking around.

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:36 pm

This series feel like it's more or less meant for kids. Ultimately Dragon Ball is an action series targeted toward young boys, but I could watch it as an adult and not be reminded of that fact. In Super, I'm constantly reminded it's meant for a young audience.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:45 pm

Super is already precensored to standards fitting somewhere between Kids WB and pre-Adult Swim Toonami. Violence is bloodless and not very brutal (nothing like Krillin getting impaled or Goku having his bones crushed). Also I don't think they have perverted jokes anymore. Granted they were less common in DBZ but we still got the occasional Master Roshi antics.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:47 pm

They'd probably censor the bit with Goku nagging naked Bulma and potentially cut out the Galactic Kings tentacle joke.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:18 pm

Muffin Man wrote:Also I don't think they have perverted jokes anymore. Granted they were less common in DBZ but we still got the occasional Master Roshi antics.
Super is pretty much the same in that regard. Already the first episode has him pestering Chi Chi for the money they got from Mr. Satan to buy gentlemen mags and when they are on the cruise ship later on, he and Oolong are busy getting nosebleeds over ogling at bikini-clad women among other things.
I seem to recall there also being a scene in the more recent episodes, but I don't have time to check.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:01 pm

I don't really see that much being censored. Perhaps certain "curse words" would get edited out but I don't think were gonna seen the extent like Blue Popo.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:32 pm

We saw Tagoma's arm being ripped off and we saw some blood during Vegeta's battle with Hit.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Blue Popo.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS. BLUE POPO IS STILL ALIVE AND KICKIN' IN DRAGON BALL SUPER.

LOL. I just saw the "Manipulative Quoting" thing and I wanted to poke fun of that LOL.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:18 pm

So far, only names and some sequence.
So, in italian Kid channel, things will change this way:
Beerus: Micio (kitty)
Whis: Butler (and, by having some gaysh feature, he'll change to a woman)
Jaco: Giovanni
Champa: Zampa (kitty feet)
Vados: Lucia
Monaka: Roberto
Commeson: blob
SuperSayanGod (mind about where the Pope reside...): SuperSayanUltra, or SuperSayanBeta, or Super
Any references to Gods will be stripped out (in Italy, no gods, only "supremes" or "geniuses").
The whole RoF get reduced to a single frame, as you see an old man bashing people, an alien arm stripped out, Goku and Gohan pierced.

The rest will be untouched. Well, maybe Goku teleporting to Bulma house at night.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:30 pm

@ChronoTwigger: Not sure if serious...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:34 pm

Bulma tit jokes

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:43 pm

They'll change Trunks calling Goku a bastard to just "jerk".

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:59 pm

They will probably censor Beerus showing his dick to Whis, censor Hits head and remove the Galactic Kings penis joke... There's a lot of dick & tits jokes in Super :|
Last edited by Sonicjamareiz on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:05 pm

What is there to censor in Super? It has blood in 1 or 2 episodes at most. No nudity, no cursing, only 2 mildly suggested sex jokes. Super is as politically correct as it gets. There's a reason people dislike it, too child friendly
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:33 pm

Tagoma also rip off of Piccolo's arms. A channel like Nick Toons or Disney XD would view it as too violent.
She/Her

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:40 pm

Really the only thing they would censor is language, like wgen Vegeta call Piccolo a shitty actor.

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Tagoma also rip off of Piccolo's arms. A channel like Nick Toons or Disney XD would view it as too violent.
(Modern)SpongeBob is one the more gory shows on Nick... :?
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:23 pm

I remember Nick Toons had to edit out some of the violence with Kai. So they may have to edit Piccolo's arms getting rip off. With Spongebob, you can say it's a comedy show and is not meant to be taken seriously.
She/Her