Should Goku and Vegeta gain a new "Team" or friends?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Should Goku and Vegeta gain a new "Team" or friends?

Post by Xeztin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:32 pm

Goku and Vegeta as we know have more or less outgrown the rest of the current main cast in terms of power and relevance. Would you guy's like it if there was others like Cabba or Hit that became the new "Z" warriors and joined Goku and Vegeta? I'm not saying writing the old cast off completely, they'll still be around when Goku and Vegeta are on Earth. I'm saying when crap hits the fan like some new villain with an army appears to attack Earth because you have to make the army weaker if you want the rest of the cast to take part in the fight like in the RoF arc. What if we had a team of people that can prevent it from being the Goku and Vegeta show? Like Cabba, Hit, Frost etc.. I thought it was very interesting when people were speculating that Beerus would revive Freeza to join the U6 tourney. I suppose Gohan and Piccolo are salvageable but it seems like even Future Trunks can't keep up with Goku and Vegeta like he did in the android/Cell saga's. Boo, well Boo is just going to be Boo with his candy and what not. The entire cast is pretty much already sidelined except for Goku and Vegeta, might as well add stronger people.
Last edited by Xeztin on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Re: Should Goku and Vegeta gain a new "Team" or friends?

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:36 pm

It could work to give more characters screentime. The only thing that would bug me about that would be the shoving aside of their children. I know none of them are pure warriors at heart, but it's nice to have the idea of "the next generation" that could keep on fighting when Goku and Vegeta's time has passed. As opposed to the two of them seemingly being around forever and there being absolutely no problems in the world once they die.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:38 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:It could work to give more characters screentime. The only thing that would bug me about that would be the shoving aside of their children. I know none of them are pure warriors at heart, but it's nice to have the idea of "the next generation" that could keep on fighting when Goku and Vegeta's time has passed. As opposed to the two of them seemingly being around forever and there being absolutely no problems in the world once they die.
I hope Future Trunks reappearing causes our Trunks to start taking things seriously, he looks like he's shaken up by the whole deal.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Of course this could be nice. Hit could fit perfectly, is very different in style and behaviours.
My starting guess about Super was a party of heroes from the multiverse, to left behind good ole (but underpowered) chara, and create a new cast.
Anyway, I really doubt this could happen without a 180° change in the anime philosophy and production.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:41 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote:Of course this could be nice. Hit could fit perfectly, is very different in style and behaviours.
My starting guess about Super was a party of heroes from the multiverse, to left behind good ole (but underpowered) chara, and create a new cast.
Anyway, I really doubt this could happen without a 180° change in the anime philosophy and production.
Maybe when we visit U6's planet salada? They'll probably have to drag Vegeta back to our U7 after he see's his race being alive in U6. I'd really like to see another Namekian or Pikkon joining even though he's filler. They brought in Monaka as a secondary character, I'd hope they could create another main character.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:46 pm

Xeztin wrote: Would you guy's like it if there was others like Cabba or Hit that became the new "Z" warriors and joined Goku and Vegeta ?

I'm not saying writing the old cast off completely.

I thought it was very interesting when people were speculating that Beerus would revive Freeza to join the U6 tourney.
That would be great cause it would switch the focus around more often.

They've pretty much done that with Gohan.

They should've decided on the tournament first and while they were doing that Freeza would attack and Goku (without Vegeta) would leave to fight him but before he could finish him off Beerus steps in and tells him he's joining the tournament.

During the tournament Vegeta would train Cabba to reach Ssj after beating Frost which upsets Freeza so he decides to live in universe 6 and train frost, When Vegeta finds out about this he does the same with Cabba and moves there, leaving U7 under Goku's protection.

After that we'd get 2 full arcs set in u7 without Vegeta and after them we'd get a full war between Planet Salad lead by Vegeta against Frost's army lead by Freeza before the final tournament. Vegeta decides to be on U6's team in order to fight Goku which ends up being the final battle of the tournament and the show.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:01 pm

Xeztin wrote:
ChronoTwigger wrote:Of course this could be nice. Hit could fit perfectly, is very different in style and behaviours.
Maybe when we visit U6's planet salada? They'll probably have to drag Vegeta back to our U7 after he see's his race being alive in U6. I'd really like to see another Namekian or Pikkon joining even though he's filler. They brought in Monaka as a secondary character, I'd hope they could create another main character.
That planet Sadal (salad, sadla or whatever) have enough potential for an entire arc itself. Or a spin off. And feel strange Vegeta didn't already pay a visit!

Ow, Pikkon, for sure. It fit well too. Even as filler, somehow is quite... rational and "canon" to Super style.

How much potential risk to be left behind!
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:07 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:It could work to give more characters screentime. The only thing that would bug me about that would be the shoving aside of their children. I know none of them are pure warriors at heart, but it's nice to have the idea of "the next generation" that could keep on fighting when Goku and Vegeta's time has passed. As opposed to the two of them seemingly being around forever and there being absolutely no problems in the world once they die.
There is no next generation beyond them though. The series had made it clear that the next generation would be in the hands of a bunch of slackers and losers. Goku and Vegeta's time can't pass, because there isn't anyone worthy to leave everything too. Gohan is a failure. Goten and Trunks forsake training for girls. Pan won't grow up for some time. Oob might be something. It'd be a disaster if they tried to even pass anything on to them.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:10 pm

I think in the Omniking tornament maybe after that they will become friends with Kabe & Hit etc. and don't forget possible 50 new characters will appear + 10 new Gods in the tournament that's a lot

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:16 pm

They already have with Beerus and Whis, lol. Then there's potentially Cabba and HIt joining the fight sometime in the future as well.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:28 pm

What would be the point? It's all about the writing. The writers can create a thousand different enemy's for everyone to fight, or scenarios for them to be useful in different ways, or create motivations/objectives for current stale characters to improve and participate more.

This arc is currently bringing Mirai Trunks, Bulma, Kid Trunks(a little bit) and the Pilaf Gang (Mai) into prominence. I can confidently say that so far, Mirai Trunks is the main character of this arc.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:31 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:There is no next generation beyond them though. The series had made it clear that the next generation would be in the hands of a bunch of slackers and losers. Goku and Vegeta's time can't pass, because there isn't anyone worthy to leave everything too. Gohan is a failure. Goten and Trunks forsake training for girls. Pan won't grow up for some time. Oob might be something. It'd be a disaster if they tried to even pass anything on to them.
Considering this new arc seems to be hinting at giving Kid Trunks development, I'd have to disagree with you. Regardless of how people read the epilogue, I don't think everyone's given up on them completely.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:35 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:There is no next generation beyond them though. The series had made it clear that the next generation would be in the hands of a bunch of slackers and losers. Goku and Vegeta's time can't pass, because there isn't anyone worthy to leave everything too. Gohan is a failure. Goten and Trunks forsake training for girls. Pan won't grow up for some time. Oob might be something. It'd be a disaster if they tried to even pass anything on to them.
Considering this new arc seems to be hinting at giving Kid Trunks development, I'd have to disagree with you. Regardless of how people read the epilogue, I don't think everyone's given up on them completely.
They have gone several years, and several episodes without doing anything for Kid Trunks. He and Goten have both have been starved for years, and several episodes of essentially nothing. I don't see this arc doing much for Kid Trunks. It seems far more focused on Future Trunks, who did get his development back when he was around. Goten and Trunks role since the beginning, and still is, child surrogate characters.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:42 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
There is no next generation beyond them though. The series had made it clear that the next generation would be in the hands of a bunch of slackers and losers. Goku and Vegeta's time can't pass, because there isn't anyone worthy to leave everything too. Gohan is a failure. Goten and Trunks forsake training for girls. Pan won't grow up for some time. Oob might be something. It'd be a disaster if they tried to even pass anything on to them.
That happened in GT. Super is a completely different beast of it's own and it could got in a totally different direction. It's all up to Toriyama and Toei whether they are will let the ball roll with the next generation.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:56 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
That happened in GT. Super is a completely different beast of it's own and it could got in a totally different direction. It's all up to Toriyama and Toei whether they are will let the ball roll with the next generation.
They had the entire Boo arc, a couple movies which only 1 did something for Kid Trunks, and they've had over 40 episodes of nothing for all their screen time. They've made it very clear there isn't a giant interest in the kids other then child surrogates. I'll eat my own words the day empty characters like Goten and Trunks, suddenly gain a lot of character. Pan is staying a baby or else everyone has to age up, and Oob showing up means aging everyone up.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:06 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote:They already have with Beerus and Whis, lol. Then there's potentially Cabba and HIt joining the fight sometime in the future as well.
I meant people actually fighting alongside Goku and Vegeta, Beerus more or less has taken the role of a "Guest" more than a main or side character. It feel's like he's just there to watch the show more than to stop someone from destroying Earth like in the Rof arc.

dragon ball truth

Post by dragon ball truth » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:34 am

Yeah an extended artificial powerup team

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:02 am

I thought they tried that already?

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:00 pm

TheMikado wrote:I thought they tried that already?

Eww. Gohan was the only Character I really liked from that group. Goten is just a cardboard cut out, and Trunks and Videl don't have that charm.