Broli: from "overrated" to "overhated"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Broli: from "overrated" to "overhated"

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:04 pm

In my opinion, Broly's strong. Stronger then Bojack, ssj1 cell games goku, and he's cool. People loved him! And some people used to REALLY over rate him. This over touting of his power made people grow to HATE him because of his FANS more then him. While there USED TO BE a huge number of people who'd say Broly is ssj4 tier because Goku needed 3 ssj1 tiers and a ssj1 tier piccolo on top of his ssj1 tier he already had.....this isn't how things work but that's the most common reasoning people gave in the early days of youtube.

Now....I think Broly is more over hated then over rated. I mean now we have people nerfing him saying that he'd lose to cell games goku because he didn't fight cell games goku, but namek goku?!

And we have people saying you're a brolytard just for saying you like broly. Brolytard this, brolytard that. I like broly, but I'm not over hyping him. Not all broly fans only care about mindless fights, or think he's ssj4 tier and what not. And NO liking him doesn't make you a fake fan.

I think people kind of joined a bandwagon of hate on broly like they did on GT and yamcha. What do you all think? I know he isn't well written, but do you think he's gotten to much hate lately?

I think it's unfair to judge a character off their fans, or else we have to hate Beerus for those kids who say "Beerus is a god and can beat all of gt with 1% of his pinky and is stronger then ssj septillion! God ki means automatic win!!!"

Broly is a fun character to watch. He's what a super saiyan was hyped up to be on namek. I think people need to stop bandwagon hating in general and just think for themselves...
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Broly-From over rated to ove hated....

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:00 am

Any fan that respects the series understands that there are different fans who like different things. I know that right now it's not the "cool" thing to like Broly, but there's nothing inherently wrong with him. He's a character, no different from any other, and obviously he will appeal to some and not to others. The fact of the matter is that originally the fans over-hyped him so it became cool to tear him back down. Like what you like because those fans that would call you a "Brolytard" are probably insecure about their own likes of the series and feel the need to stick to the popular trend of putting down someone who likes a particular character. I would assume that this place is beyond that, as the moderation here weeds out the disrespectful fans.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:09 am

He's alright. He ain't much of a character but his title as the true "Legendary Super Saiyan" makes him interesting and he has a cool character design, he has a physically intimidating look to him which is unlike a lot of the villains in the series.

He was probably the best of the original movie villains and was in the best of the original movies. Without thinking too hard I think what made him stand out was seeing him taking on all the protagonists just by himself and winning. There was no henchemen in the Broly movies.

He's strong but his strenght has always been ridiculously overrated. I don't know if some of these game openings were you see him fight Gogeta has something to do with it but he was nowhere close to SSJ3 in either movie.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:51 am

I kind of feel bad because when people over tout beerus the same happens to many people. As son as we see beerus get surpassed by goku I think he'll be the next broly :/

I wish Toriyama tried to do what he did with broly's design for others. Make them LOOK as scary as they are. I'm personally sick of "look how weak this guy looks! But surprise! he isn't!"...not a real surprise if it's done for the 100th time..

I wish broly had a better back story. Like he hated the prince for what the royal family did to him, not goku.

Broly did have no henchmen, and no cheap gimmicks like movie 12 and 13 had. He was legitimately powerfull like frieza but unlike frieza, he was more sadistic and didn't resort to cheap tactics like blowing up the planet and then leaving. I also like how he doesn't need as ship to fly around space. It's one of those things where you're like "but goku is a super saiyan...cant he go faster then a space ship" things that made the series feel more lived in and believable for their logic they put out.

Broyl should be given a saga in super and a back story that makes more sense. The ingredients are there, just executed nowhere near as good as it could have, like both times when hell was opened. Good idea, bad execution.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:54 am

He became over hated purely (imho) because the over hyping from his fanboys that got so extreme, he became hated.
Also Broly got 3 movies. He doesn't need a saga in Super. I'd much rather have new villains

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:01 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Broly is a fun character to watch. He's what a super saiyan was hyped up to be on namek.
Erm... No.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:23 am

I honestly don't think he's over-hated. If anything, he's still a little overrated for me. Broly was never really fun for me. His back story was pretty dumb and he's pretty much every DB stereotype put into one.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:58 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Broly is a fun character to watch. He's what a super saiyan was hyped up to be on namek.
Erm... No.

Practically invincible-check

a killing machine-check

ruthless-check

Broly is what namek hyped up a ssj to be, later they made it docile, used to mask gohan's identity, given out as a bargain sale and not making the user have a firey inferno of rage and blood lust. Broly is exactly what a super saiyan was said to be!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:03 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:
Erm... No.
Practically invincible-check
a killing machine-check
ruthless-check

Broly is what namek hyped up a ssj to be, later they made it docile, used to mask gohan's identity, given out as a bargain sale and not making the user have a firey inferno of rage and blood lust. Broly is exactly what a super saiyan was said to be!
That doesn't automatically make him a interesting character.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:15 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Practically invincible-check

a killing machine-check

ruthless-check
Made up requirements: check.
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Broly is what namek hyped up a ssj to be
No, it isn't. If what Toriyama provided didn't met your expectations, that's not his problem nor does it make you the authority on what a Super Saiyan should or shouldn't be.
Dbzfan94 wrote:That doesn't automatically make him a interesting character.
Indeed. Nor fun.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:21 am

I like Broly. Yeah he's not very intellectual but I think it's part of the charm. It's cool to see someone that can just go berserk. Plus that design is great! Btw, I don't think Toriyama made his design.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:31 am

I don't think that he's overrated really. "Overrated" is when something -- in this case a character -- is rated higher than it really is; an example would be if Broly got beaten-up by Saiyan arc Goku and people claimed that he could defeat Cell. Instead, his character is actually written to be really powerful. So if the fans are claiming that he was made to be too powerful by Toei, then a more appropriate word to use is "over-powered" (which can also mean that something is more powerful than him, thus being ambiguous) or say that he's overhyped by the fans or just say that "Toei made him too powerful," but he certainly is not overrated. He's usually rated right where he belongs (based on how he was written) by the fans. So when I see an argument that Broly is overrated, I automatically can't take the argument seriously any more than I would if that person actually wrote "Well I don't like him, so I don't think so many people should either."

If anybody is overrated it's Vegeta because damn, do his fans really make him sound stronger than I'd ever think he was based on the writing. He catches Beerus by surprise with Super Saiyan 2 and suddenly he's more powerful than Super Saiyan 3 Goku. I'd say that is overrated because there's no indication of that being true, but everyone seems to be on-board with that theory and there is absolutely no budging their opinion. "Well he got really, really mad!" Yeah, lots of people get mad but they don't end up increasing their power beyond a whole Super Saiyan form. And if those fans truly believe that being mad works that way, then who's madder than Broly? Broly's so mad that he could "rage boost" himself past his limits every single time.

Anyway, the cool thing is to not like Broly because he's "not real" and you know we have to have everything "real" to give it credit, so there you go.

Honestly, circa 1998, the Broly stuff started circulating around my circles (hah, this sentence is a circus). Back then, kids only had access to pictures of him on the internet (a very primitive internet, mind you) and maybe a half-assed summary that of course said how Broly whipped everyone's asses. So the kids that were into DBZ at school naturally gravitated to him and put him up on a pedestal. When I watched the movies in around 2002-2003ish, I decided that I didn't like Broly because I felt that it didn't live up to the hype created by the people that I knew (which has nothing to do with the actual character) and basically because he was a mindless brute who could only say "Kakarroto" (which had everything to do with the character). But still,I wouldn't say he's overrated -- certainly not in power. If he's overrated in terms of how many people like him, then how can anyone say that; what basis does one have to determine how many fans a character should have?

Oh and the "Brolytard" thing -- there are always pockets of these fans that have certain fan role-models that they look up to because they know that those fans are very knowledgeable. For example, Herms is hugely respected among DB fans from these here parts (and rightfully so for the time and dedication that he takes to share information with us), so if that "fan role-model" says that Broly is kind of an overhyped or even worthless character, then there will be droves of fans that look at that and since they want to seem in the loop and have a lack of articulation to form their opinion, they'll start sounding like "Hurr, hurr, noooo Broly suckkzzz! Ur a brolytard hurrr hurrr!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:35 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I don't think that he's overrated really. "Overrated" is when something -- in this case a character -- is rated higher than it really is; an example would be if Broly got beaten-up by Saiyan arc Goku and people claimed that he could defeat Cell.
By your definition then Broly is overrated because I see his fanboys claiming Broly could beat Beerus Whis, SSJ4 Gogeta, Vegetto and the list goes on.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:42 am

Games also added fuel to heat, they made Broly overpowered beast, who goes toe to toe with SSJ2 Vegetto, and make him extra boss in Attack of Saiyans for DS, i remember 2000 fan game called DBZ MUGEN 2, i had to remove Broly files so that i didn't have to fight him :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:43 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I don't think that he's overrated really. "Overrated" is when something -- in this case a character -- is rated higher than it really is; an example would be if Broly got beaten-up by Saiyan arc Goku and people claimed that he could defeat Cell. Instead, his character is actually written to be really powerful. So if the fans are claiming that he was made to be too powerful by Toei, then a more appropriate word to use is "over-powered" (which can also mean that something is more powerful than him, thus being ambiguous) or say that he's overhyped by the fans or just say that "Toei made him too powerful," but he certainly is not overrated. He's usually rated right where he belongs (based on how he was written) by the fans. So when I see an argument that Broly is overrated, I automatically can't take the argument seriously any more than I would if that person actually wrote "Well I don't like him, so I don't think so many people should either."
No, overrated in this context is to say that they belive that the character is more populare than he deserves to be.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:24 pm

How does one determine how popular a character "deserves" to be? Lol Based on what? If he has fans, he has fans regardless of if he "deserves" it.

Let's not look at games because it's pretty much a leveled playing field. After all, it wouldn't be much of a fun game if they went by battle powers and basically meant that if you're playing against Super Vegetto, you're screwed.

And just because you see some kids saying that Broly could car Beerus doesn't mean that he's overall overrated. I would say that you'll always find those fans -- usually on YouTube -- that say the darnest things.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:38 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:How does one determine how popular a character "deserves" to be? Lol Based on what? If he has fans, he has fans regardless of if he "deserves" it.
Based on their personal preference on how they view the character.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:42 pm

I addressed this in my first post. Such an outlook of "Well I don't think highly of him so anyone who does is overrating him" is subjective and quite dumb. The second you start having an opinion battle, the constrain goes nowhere but south.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:01 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I addressed this in my first post. Such an outlook of "Well I don't think highly of him so anyone who does is overrating him" is subjective and quite dumb. The second you start having an opinion battle, the constrain goes nowhere but south.
Yes, an opinion is subjective. You can never objectivly say that something is overrated in regards to quality and popularity. Like, everyone seems to point to Shadow of the Colossus as a masterpiece of a game, but I find it one of the most average things to play through; so I think of it as an overrated game. It's only dumb when you state it as a fact and not as your opinion.

Kanassa wrote:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:10 pm

Broly is probably the most overrated of all time, but as of today, Bardock is the most overrated currently. His amount of special snowflake crap has been annoying.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!