What version did you start off with?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie

Re: What version did you start off with?

Post by thejeremymenace » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:21 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
thejeremymenace wrote:I started out catching bits of the Saiyan arc in the mid-nineties (on Kids! WB when that was still a thing).
I thought DBZ aired on the short live Toonami block on Kids! WB sometime after 1999? I remember watching the Fake Namek episode around that time.
I can't recall anything about that to be honest -- but when I saw it, it was before Toonami started showing it, I'm fairly sure.
デデーン
Twitter: @gravitypriest
Dragon Radar ~ Subtitles for the Dragon Box Thread | Download | Source
Dragon Ball dialogue bot @dbz_ebooks | Thread | Source

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:43 am

The Ocean dub I think - one of the early English dubs on Toonami
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

BojGrass
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BojGrass » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:52 am

I'm going to echo that I think it's awesome that some people got into this think because of Kai on Nicktoons! If anything is negative about it, it's just the fact that it makes me feel old. >_>

If we're talking DBZ specifically, I got into it with the original dub that was airing on Toonami. I remember picking it up around the point when Yajirobe was listing off his super hero team of the Z-Fighters that was going to save everyone to the news media while stuffing his face. I do remember being a kid at my grandmother's house and catching this weird cartoon with this kid going up against a pig that transformed to save a town. Had no idea it was related to DBZ until years later when I picked up the VHS box set that someone showed off earlier.

Random aside: hello my name is Boj, I've been in hiding for the last year. Glad to be back if even for just a moment. o.o;

Edit:
thejeremymenace wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
thejeremymenace wrote:I started out catching bits of the Saiyan arc in the mid-nineties (on Kids! WB when that was still a thing).
I thought DBZ aired on the short live Toonami block on Kids! WB sometime after 1999? I remember watching the Fake Namek episode around that time.
Didn't they just show five episodes that were completely out of order?

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:38 am

I grew up with Kai. I was on vacation in Germany when my cousins had Burst Limit for PS3. I didn't really play it though. When we came back in the fall of 2010. I went downstairs to watch 4kids on tv, when I saw Dragon Ball Z Kai. It was the one where Nappa and Venegta were planting the Saibamen. Then, in March 2011, I went to Virginia during Spring Break I saw Episode 63 of Kai. (Fun Fact: That was the last Yamamoto episode on tv, because the show went on a 2 month hiatus before they got the Kikuchi episodes.) My cousin had the Kid Bui Funimation Singles, then I got confused. Then me and my cousin were arguing for Z and Kai. Then I was on Nicktoons.com a lot of the time then I hit the hiatus point. I needed more Kai! So I started watching the Japaneese version (Illegally. I was 7 then) and I loved it. I still watched On 4kids and Nicktoons.com I also watched DBZ Free the future, and the other world tournament saga. Then Nicktoons showed the movies. Still love the movie US opening, then they got GT... Then Buu Kai, then Battle of Gods with"Bills", then vortex then I watched a lot more JP, Then the trailer for that new movie and the worst wish and watched the Baby Saga on Nicktoons, I can still hear buy calling out "Hercule" before he fused with Uub. I started to fade away from dragon ball, occasionally searching for buu Kai English sometimes. Then this year, I came back in, watched resurrection f, all of Funi dragon Ball, all of JP Kai,All of super, except for the FnF saga, watched fusion reborn in Japanese and English, GT In English with the Japanese music, and the rest is history.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

404FILENOTFOUND
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 404FILENOTFOUND » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:54 pm

I think I have an interesting one. I got into Dragon Ball Z through some videos of the Japanese audio with English fansubs that my older brother had burned through a CD in the early 2000s. It had old music videos such as that one with when worlds collide and Fusion Reborn with another video just being a clip of Goku teaching Goten and Trunks the fusion dance. There was more but I can't remember :/

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Harmony Gold dub of DB. Though it was only a couple of episodes and that spliced movie. After that a few episodes of the Funi DB dub, but it was the DBZ dub with the Ocean cast when I really got into it. Or more so that's the version that actually got popular so was available.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:07 pm

dario03 wrote:Harmony Gold dub of DB. Though it was only a couple of episodes and that spliced movie. After that a few episodes of the Funi DB dub, but it was the DBZ dub with the Ocean cast when I really got into it. Or more so that's the version that actually got popular so was available.
Wow, I cant believe the extraordinary circumstances required for this.

ゴクウブラック

Post by ゴクウブラック » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:15 pm

It's amazing hearing how you guys got into the series

Something about first exposure stories just make me smile y'know?
Hey i'm just a guy that loves DBZ!

Feel free to add my facebook account ( I mostly roleplay there )
hope to become friends with all of you!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:18 pm

Japanese with subs mixed with DBZ Abridged...long before that was the over 9000 meme and Super Mario Bros Z... didn't really get into Dragon Ball proper until a couple years ago...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:28 pm

I got into Ocean when it started airing on Toonami many moons ago. haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:53 pm

LatAm dub of DBZ, I believe it was the filler episode of Gohan training in the Saiyan Arc where he meets an abandoned robot, this was back in 2003 via Cartoon Network.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:26 pm

OMG that's so cute I love that episode. I have always liked you but I love you now!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:17 pm

It was more than likely the Latin American dub during the late 90's

Initially, I saw the commercials for the show but eventually saw a few episodes from different sagas, raging from when Goku was little to when he grew up. The earliest ones I can remember were probably when the Z-Fighters were being beat up by Android 17 and 18, Future Trunks killing Frieza, and WereMonkey Vegeta crushing Goku. I don't remember the exact order in which I saw these episodes.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:58 am

ゴクウブラック wrote:It's amazing hearing how you guys got into the series

Something about first exposure stories just make me smile y'know?
I remember when I used to go on Dragon Ball forums back in 2001-2005 that it was way different on what version people would start with. I remember a lot of people said that they saw the series in Japanese first before the English dub while others say the Ocean Voice cast dub from 1996-1998. I remember most of them where fans long before I was and I always felt embarrass by it at the time. The fan sub era fans seem to die out by 2006 and you rarely see them now these days.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:22 am

simtek34 wrote:I grew up with Kai. I was on vacation in Germany when my cousins had Burst Limit for PS3. I didn't really play it though. When we came back in the fall of 2010. I went downstairs to watch 4kids on tv, when I saw Dragon Ball Z Kai. It was the one where Nappa and Venegta were planting the Saibamen. Then, in March 2011, I went to Virginia during Spring Break I saw Episode 63 of Kai. (Fun Fact: That was the last Yamamoto episode on tv, because the show went on a 2 month hiatus before they got the Kikuchi episodes.) My cousin had the Kid Bui Funimation Singles, then I got confused. Then me and my cousin were arguing for Z and Kai. Then I was on Nicktoons.com a lot of the time then I hit the hiatus point. I needed more Kai! So I started watching the Japaneese version (Illegally. I was 7 then) and I loved it. I still watched On 4kids and Nicktoons.com I also watched DBZ Free the future, and the other world tournament saga. Then Nicktoons showed the movies. Still love the movie US opening, then they got GT... Then Buu Kai, then Battle of Gods with"Bills", then vortex then I watched a lot more JP, Then the trailer for that new movie and the worst wish and watched the Baby Saga on Nicktoons, I can still hear buy calling out "Hercule" before he fused with Uub. I started to fade away from dragon ball, occasionally searching for buu Kai English sometimes. Then this year, I came back in, watched resurrection f, all of Funi dragon Ball, all of JP Kai,All of super, except for the FnF saga, watched fusion reborn in Japanese and English, GT In English with the Japanese music, and the rest is history.
I just want to say, it's cool to see younger fans with such a different introduction into the series than most of us in the twenty-something age range got. Especially one that had you seeking out the Japanese version so quickly (not to mention it was actually easily available to you!).

It'll be wild to see this generation of casual U.S. fans come back to the series in a few years.
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:The 2008 JSAT special is what got me into DB. I loved the Kikuchi score so much that I decided I need to watch this just for the music. Then I started from the beginning thanks to my brother or else I would've also skipped the first half of the series like many fans do. Within 2-3 eps I fell in love with Son Gokuu's character and rest is history. Everything in JPN(original) version not to mention.

- Travis
While not quite the experience of a casual viewer in any decade of the series' history in the U.S., I also really enjoy hearing about people who were recently exposed to it and watched the entire thing in Japanese in chronological order. You're actually the only other person I know of who's had this experience, and the other is someone I personally introduced the series to and watched it with.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:36 am

I too was introduced through Kai on nicktoons. Then it was GT eng dub, then Dragonball manga (viz), then Boo arc via DVD, I bounced all over the place until i experienced everything in some form.

DBS916
Regular

Post by DBS916 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:47 am

I was introduced to the Funimation dub of Dragon Ball Z thanks to Toonami. Back then I was shocked to see to it because how fast paced and all the martial arts portrayed within the show. That's when I feel in love with the show.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:00 pm

I was introduced through the Funimation dub back in 1999 on Toonami in the US. Pretty sure it was the popular Funi dub that a lot of American fans are accustomed to, but it had JUST transitioned into that dub from the Ocean dub.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:08 pm

I only remember seeing Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z for the first time on Cartoon Network too, but I hate it how the FCC decided to slowly take away all the shows worth watching on television and left us with poorly-made programming that forced me to pretty much stop watching TV almost completely for years now.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:21 pm

I started with FUNimation's dub of the original Dragon Ball in May 2015. Still watching now (I'm on the Other World Tournament of Z)
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu