Favorite Vocal Performances?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Favorite Vocal Performances?

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:01 am

This one could be fun, I think. The Dragon Ball anime is full of wonderful voice actors, and these actors have provided so many superb performances over the years. What are some of your favorite pieces of voice acting in the series?

If I were to make a list it would be a mile long, but I'll start the conversation with a few obvious ones:
Kusao's Super Saiyan Trunks transformation.
Nozawa's Super Saiyan 2 Gohan transformation.
Yeah, both of these are really fantastic screams. That Gohan scream is one of my favorite Nozawa screams, and that's saying something!

This one is pretty random and it's more of a me thing, but Furukawa and Wakamoto having a conversation in their prime is just amazing.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Re: Favorite Vocal Performances?

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:09 am

Some of my favorites are

- Roshi's Kamehameha to stop the fire in Gyumao's castle. Miyauchi was phenomenal especially his delivery.

-Whenever Nakao maniacally laughs as Freeza it sends chills down my spine.

-Nozawa's scream in all 3 transformations is amazing.

-Hirotaka Sizuoki's Kikoho in the 22nd TB and against 2nd form Cell was mind blowing. I love it to death.

- Travis

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:34 am

Any of Nozawa or modern Schemmel's screams.

Also any of Nakao or Ayre's lines as Freeza.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:59 am

Goku reunites with his Grandpa.
Turtle Hermit has his last stand against Piccolo Daimao.
Vegeta is in disbelief that low-level trash is harming him. I particularly like his expressions of pain here.
Vegeta and Freeza face off, Vegeta with bravery, Freeza in broken composure. The Kai version of this in the English adaption is also well done.
Goku explodes with anger.
Gohan and Cell have wildly different tones as Gohan calmly blows away his Kamehameha. I forgot that the Narrator takes Cell's line from the manga. That's a tad disappointing.

I think I'm getting carried away, so I'll leave it at that. Searching for the clips I want is also a bother. I skipped a lot of the moments I wanted to share, but YouTube isn't the greatest platform for this, short of uploading myself.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:00 am

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:30 am

Anything from Nozawa, Wakamoto, Horikawa and Nakao is fantastic in any regard. Also, Schemmel since Kai and Ayre's performance's as Freeza have been simply wonderful.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:09 pm

Tanaka mourning Goku's death at the hands of Raditz and Piccolo is raw and painful. Anything Naoki Tatsuta says as Oolong is funny.

EDIT: Aw, damn, Tanaka mourning Goku's supposed death at the 21st Budokai is also great; screaming "murder!" at Jackie Chun with his stone-like expression(in the anime, the tournaments take place over the course of a few days instead of one whole day like the manga, so all this is happening at sunset; there's a certain ambiance created as a result). Kuririn knows how to mourn!

I guess the title match between Goku and Jackie Chun has to be at the end of the day, even in the manga, if the moon is out... But you don't really get that full effect in black-and-white.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:15 pm

I don't think I have a favorite, but recently Bardock's line/scream here has really stuck with me as a fantastic performance.

Also Freeza's "IT HURTS!!" following Goku's 20x Kamehameha.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:14 pm

Doctor. wrote:I don't think I have a favorite, but recently Bardock's line/scream here has really stuck with me as a fantastic performance.

Also Freeza's "IT HURTS!!" following Goku's 20x Kamehameha.
Yeah, Nozawa almost ends up sounding like a wild animal in that one, it's pretty great!

Anytime Nakao throws a temper tantrum as Freeza it's superb. He has some of the best breakdowns.
B wrote:Tanaka mourning Goku's death at the hands of Raditz and Piccolo is raw and painful. Anything Naoki Tatsuta says as Oolong is funny.

EDIT: Aw, damn, Tanaka mourning Goku's supposed death at the 21st Budokai is also great; screaming "murder!" at Jackie Chun with his stone-like expression(in the anime, the tournaments take place over the course of a few days instead of one whole day like the manga, so all this is happening at sunset; there's a certain ambiance created as a result). Kuririn knows how to mourn!

I guess the title match between Goku and Jackie Chun has to be at the end of the day, even in the manga, if the moon is out... But you don't really get that full effect in black-and-white.
Tanaka's got a lot of gems. I never really thought about it, but she really does do fantastic in mourning scenes! And almost every other scene for that matter. :P

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Dub wise Sean's I am speach definitely 100% that sends chills down me every time I watch.

Sub wise Nozawa as Black all lines especially the recent episode she crushed it. Holy crap have I underestimated her all these years!

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:17 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Anything from Nozawa, Wakamoto, Horikawa and Nakao is fantastic in any regard. Also, Schemmel since Kai and Ayre's performance's as Freeza have been simply wonderful.
Norio Wakamoto FTW!

Koichi Yamadera as Beerus, & Morita (Tidus!) as Whis. Hikaru Midorikawa (he's like the Jack Angel of Japanese VO, & still working!)

Also, I have no clue how, but Peter Mayhew in DBGT's dub. Wow.

& Troy Baker, Travis Willingham, & Laura Bailey, in the opposite order. I still can't believe that, to this day, we have someone of the caliber of Laura Bailey making reprisals.

* Also, it was pretty cool to hear LA dubbing actors like Tom Wyner, Steve Blum, Wendee Lee, Barbara Goodson, in the HG dub & a game dub.

* Finally, while I love Scott McNeil's Piccolo, I'd have much, much preferred him as Cell, if it were possible.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Eric Legrand can really pull off the maniacal and arrogant aspects of Vegeta terrifically. The man laughs and screams amazingly. Seriously. Though, him screaming in the booth while recording BOG was probably one of the moments where I really felt a VA being the character.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:32 pm

Also, am I the only one that thinks Phillipe Ariotti does an AWESOME PICCOLO!!! Seriously, the man's awesome and probably nails the rough part of him the best imo. He's my favorite right behind Ryo Horikawa. Seriously, he does not get enough love.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:42 pm

One of my favorite recent performance's has been Nozawa's Black. The way she says 'subarashii' is great.

My favorites in general are Nozawa's meteor combo against Piccolo in the 23rd Budokai and Ryo Horikawa's Vegeta speech before he went SSJ and the actual SSJ transformation.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:51 pm

ENGLISH
Sean Schemmel - His Goku was a wonderful mix of goofy and badass.

Christopher Sabat - He voiced Vegeta, Piccolo, Shenron and Yamcha, all in distinctly different voices.

Meredith McCoy - She voiced the menacing and hot Android 18, and made both sides of Lunch enjoyable.

Mike McFarland (Master Roshi) - he made Master Roshi a very lovable pervert.

Sonny Strait (Krillin)
Cynthia Cranz (Chi-Chi)
Pauline Newstone (Frieza)
Richard Newman (Capt Ginyu)
Eric Vale (Trunks)

JAPANESE
Masako Nozawa - a great and classic voice for Goku, Gohan, Goten (maybe) and Black Goku

Ryo Horikawa - he was able to make the anti-heroic jerk Vegeta a charismatic and appealing character.

Miki Ito - She voiced the menacing and hot Android 18.

Takeshi Kusao – his voice as young and old Trunks is wonderful.

Toshio Furukawa (Piccolo)
Mami Koyama (Lunch, Arale Norimaki)
Ryusei Nakao (Frieza)
Norio Wakamoto (Cell)
Eiko Yamada (Mai)
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Vados's voice is SO MUCH SEXY! The first time I saw....She is amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM3wqXq4j2I
It's Yuriko Yamaguchi
Champa's voice was really cool, but they changed after this...
Vados Sama!

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:11 pm

I really loved this scene in Kai

Great work from Christopher Sabat and particularly Laura Bailey who does the portion of kid Vegeta.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:24 pm

Gotta go with Ian James Corlette's Goku with this one. More particularly, I like any time he had to deliver a line that had to be punched home. Whenever he was emphasizing something, it was always great. "Look, this is my home and these are my friends, so it doesn't matter what you say I am! My name is Goku and I live here. Now leave us alone!" was great. Things like that. Otherwise, anything kid Goku, kid Gohan, or kid Goten in the Japanese version. Nozawa was excellent as the Son kids. I liked her early work for Goku too, just not really liking the latest stuff. Japanese Piccolo is also great.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:58 am

Besides the obvious (Nozawa, Horikawa, and Nakao), Koichi Yamadera as Beerus is probably one of the best performers in Dragon Ball today. Hope they give Beerus more stuff to do later on for him to do more stuff. I also really fond of Hirotaka Suzuoki's Tenshinhan and Kōhei Miyauchi's Muten-roshi. And, back to Nozawa again, while I think she's great as Goku....her evil characters are just her best voices. She's so twisted, sophisticated and smug as Black. It's amazing. Also Wakamoto's performance in Z as Cell and anything from Daisuke Gouri.

On the English side, Scott McNeil is still my favorite Piccolo. And Chris Rager's Mr. Satan is still the best dub voice.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:44 pm

ConfusedPhantom wrote:Besides the obvious (Nozawa, Horikawa, and Nakao), Koichi Yamadera as Beerus is probably one of the best performers in Dragon Ball today. Hope they give Beerus more stuff to do later on for him to do more stuff. I also really fond of Hirotaka Suzuoki's Tenshinhan and Kōhei Miyauchi's Muten-roshi. And, back to Nozawa again, while I think she's great as Goku....her evil characters are just her best voices. She's so twisted, sophisticated and smug as Black. It's amazing. Also Wakamoto's performance in Z as Cell and anything from Daisuke Gouri.

On the English side, Scott McNeil is still my favorite Piccolo. And Chris Rager's Mr. Satan is still the best dub voice.
You mean in terms of accuracy, or just a great voice?