Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
User avatar
Michelle91
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 15819
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by Michelle91 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:35 am

20 years ago today on September 13th, DBZ first air in the US. Not sure how many people saw DBZ before it air on CN in 1998, but it would be cool to hear stories of people who first saw DBZ in 1996. I didn't know what Dragon Ball was until 1997, but I also remember seeing bits of DBZ before I saw a random episode on Toonami in 1998. DBZ did have a major impact on the anime industry in the US and did introduced many people to anime for the last 20 years. Personally I still enjoy the 1996-1998 dub with the Ocean voice actors. It makes me feel very nostalgic with the voice acting and music.
She/Her
Profile Pic: Girl Laharl from Disgaea

DB1984
Banned
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:07 pm

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by DB1984 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:50 am

Some clips:

A collection of Ocean Title Cards with really effective 90's CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyhP7F_Weno

Tenshinhan, the three-eyed-Cowboy, thinks he's Piccolo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebaO6aoCj2A

Think Tenshinhan's third eye helps him see better? Think again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4ghsv04V0

Oh, so they're not really dead; they're just going on a trip to another dimension. Got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BffZ0vjMH2I

What? Don't you mean the Helicopter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Bbu7oGgcY

So Vegeta is religious after all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fhN4DiHlU4

And let's end it with this undying legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 935
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:34 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by Kakacarrottop » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:46 am

I'm sure most people aren't even aware of this milestone, since the average fan these days considers that dub to be a Canadian production that just happened to air on American Toonami before FUNimation "took over" and got the license from Ocean/Saban/Pioneer/whoever you want to scapegoat. Overall i think it was a pretty solid dub in terms of acting and music, especially when you take into consideration how terrible some dubs from that early 90s era were. It came off as way more professional than FUNi's later in-house stuff that immediately followed it.

I also really wish there were more DBZ syndication recordings floating around online, like promos or tapings of episodes from 96-98. So far the only stuff i've seen online is this collection of bizarre bumpers by Saban.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

User avatar
LordCrumb
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1050
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:32 am

DB1984 wrote:Some clips:

A collection of Ocean Title Cards with really effective 90's CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyhP7F_Weno

Tenshinhan, the three-eyed-Cowboy, thinks he's Piccolo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebaO6aoCj2A

Think Tenshinhan's third eye helps him see better? Think again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4ghsv04V0

Oh, so they're not really dead; they're just going on a trip to another dimension. Got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BffZ0vjMH2I

What? Don't you mean the Helicopter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Bbu7oGgcY

So Vegeta is religious after all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fhN4DiHlU4

And let's end it with this undying legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik
So in other words, just your typical anti-funimation post that was completely unnecessary.



I don't remember the initial release date for New Zealand.. I vaguely recall of it being on 'Cartoon Network' through school chums at the time, but I didn't really start watching it until the very early 2000s. It was probably the only show I actually walked home faster to make sure I caught it, as it was on at some stupid time like 3:30pm (school finished at 3:00pm). I remember the original English voice actors (Ocean), and then the change over to the current cast.. it was very strange hearing a different actor for Goku. The change ended up being for the good though, and the current cast is fabulous.

I do remember waiting for Goku to go Super Saiyan.. which was a real tease here because before it happened, they went right back to the first episode and re-ran what they had already aired. Same thing happened before Trunks came onto the scene too. Was so bloody annoying.

DBZ mania hit pretty soon afterwards, and the voice actors for Vegeta and Goku would come over to NZ for the local pop culture convention. I got their autograph one time on a poster, but that has long since been lost.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20509
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:01 am

I didn't see the first 13 episodes of DB when it first was released, but I did see DBZ when it was first broadcasted. Waiting every weekend for it to air was difficult for an 11 year old kid.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:12 pm
Location: Zambia, Southern Africa

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:21 am

Yay! :clap:
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

User avatar
MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5821
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czechia
Contact:

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:03 am

DB1984 wrote:Some clips:

A collection of Ocean Title Cards with really effective 90's CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyhP7F_Weno

Tenshinhan, the three-eyed-Cowboy, thinks he's Piccolo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebaO6aoCj2A

Think Tenshinhan's third eye helps him see better? Think again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4ghsv04V0

Oh, so they're not really dead; they're just going on a trip to another dimension. Got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BffZ0vjMH2I

What? Don't you mean the Helicopter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Bbu7oGgcY

So Vegeta is religious after all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fhN4DiHlU4

And let's end it with this undying legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik
Was it done in Word?
FighterZ, Street Fighter 6, Mortal Kombat: Funky_Strudel
PS5: Dynamixx88
Trust me, I'm millenial and a designer.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 17865
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:55 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:20 years ago today on September 13th, DBZ first air in the US.
I'm not quite sure how this date propagated around so much. The 13th was a Friday in 1996; Dragon Ball Z aired on the weekends, and as such, the earliest date would have been that Saturday, the 14th. I don't know if some random affiliates aired it early on the 13th, but digging around some alt.fan.dragonball and rec.arts.misc.anime posts this last week, everyone's indeed looking to the 14th on their local networks as the earliest listed air date.
LordCrumb wrote:So in other words, just your typical anti-funimation post that was completely unnecessary.
Why do you get defensive and immediately jump to this conclusion? I pretty much adore this first pass of the dub, and I think it's important to recognize these quirks and can revel in their absurdity while simultaneously enjoying them. Simply noting something does not have to inherently mean "dissing it". In these 20 years of reflection going on, I would hope people can be adults and understand this.

Anyway, can't help but plug our latest podcast (basically an online radio show that we've been doing for 10+ years), where we review the first episode ("The Arrival of Raditz") and talk about all sorts of things from that time.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: April 2026 |] ::

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10315
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:14 pm

The title cards were really awesome course some where more inventive than others like the Saibaman and Time one but yeah that's one thing I wish the Japanese did or FUNi carried over.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6422
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by Cipher » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:18 pm

DB1984 wrote:So Vegeta is religious after all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fhN4DiHlU4
"Too bad it's Sunday" is probably the most hysterical death cover-up line of the entire syndicated run. Vegeta is apparently intimately familiar with Earth's weekly calendar and its adoption of religious practices.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20509
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The title cards were really awesome course some where more inventive than others like the Saibaman and Time one but yeah that's one thing I wish the Japanese did or FUNi carried over.
There's one with a shot of Planet Namek and sparkly things coming off it. It looks like the Genki Dama energy going into space.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 17865
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:22 pm

In all these years, I never would have made the connection about Sunday being a day when people were at church, and therefore not in the buildings. I always just took it as "it's the weekend, so people aren't at the office." I guess both interpretations work just fine.

Piccolo citing David and Goliath is what always weirded me out.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: April 2026 |] ::

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20509
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:24 pm

VegettoEX wrote:In all these years, I never would have made the connection about Sunday being a day when people were at church, and therefore not in the buildings. I always just took it as "it's the weekend, so people aren't at the office." I guess both interpretations work just fine.

Piccolo citing David and Goliath is what always weirded me out.
Also, set aside every being in the universe knowing some common language, how did Vegeta know about the weekends?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z in America.

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:In all these years, I never would have made the connection about Sunday being a day when people were at church, and therefore not in the buildings. I always just took it as "it's the weekend, so people aren't at the office." I guess both interpretations work just fine.

Piccolo citing David and Goliath is what always weirded me out.
Really? I'm always assumed that was the implication, since we (in America, at least) were in a more verbally restrictive, openly Christian Culture at the time this aired.

At least that's how it was where I grew up, which doesn't say much, since I lived in the middle of nowhere.
Retired.

Post Reply