Goku's Gi orange or red?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Goku's Gi orange or red?

Post by genjosanzo8 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:54 pm

if you look this old commercial, goku's gi is orange
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPee5JOnbJA
but in kai i see it red

which one is the true color?

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Goku's Gi orange or red?

Post by Cetra » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:55 pm

In most cases it is coloured orange but I totally can understand why you would think it is red because multiple times in the anime it was colored either I'm red or a very "reddish" orange.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:57 pm

Oh that's where the image of Gohan, Goten and Trunks in a swimming pool with red eyes comes from, that has been confusing me a lot recently :lol:

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Goku's gi is intended to be a yellowish orange, like the robes that Xiaolin monks wear. However, the anime, particularly the first one, colored it red. I might be mistaken, but I believe even Toriyama was somewhat annoyed by this.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Akira Toriyama wrote:For the colors of the dōgi, the motif is naturally the color of the robes [worn by] Chinese monks, such as the Shaolin. The fact that it became red in the anime was always something I was a bit dissatisfied with.
As stated here. Shaolin robes are orange.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:13 pm

It's only red in Dragon Ball. In Kai's footage, it's clearly orange.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:18 pm

It's meant to be orange like in the Full Color releases and in Kai.

When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Depending on the time frame, his gi red in Dragon Ball and orange in Dragon Ball Z. This is true for the anime at least by looking at the original animation cels.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:17 pm

Yellow orange. In the manga Kibito likens it to the color of the kerria rose.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:06 pm

In nearly all of Toriyama's colored drawings, as well as most episodes of Kai, with its slight color adjustments, and as indicated by Gohan's dialogue to Kibito, the gi is supposed to be a light orange. In the original Dragon Ball anime, it's nearly red, and in Z it's a much darker shade of orange than Toriyama typically goes for (partially due to his materials, but also by intent).

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:28 am

Here's another anime comparison:

Dragon Ball (it's from the season set, and there was a yellow tint which made reds look orange, so I corrected that):

Z/Kai:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:12 am

thanks a lot for your answer...so i think originally it was a dark orange reddish and with tint, saturation etc seems red . i was allways wondering that and why the color change from one source to another

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:58 am

In terms of the original TV series, it totally depends on the levels of saturation/hue on a particular release. The Orange Bricks and DB Boxes tend to have yellow, pink and green tints, which makes it appear orange. On older pre-Dragon Box releases/broadcasts it usually looks red. FUNi's 1997-2006 digibeta releases in particular had a lot of saturation which naturally made all the colours seem more red-ish.

This comparison by VegettoEX does a good job showcasing the colour differences between the old digibeta stuff and the OBs/Dragon Boxes.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:45 am

Later In the Anime it's red, but it changed in yellow/orange when Goku turns Super Saiyan.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:29 pm

shinmaru wrote:Later In the Anime it's red, but it changed in yellow/orange when Goku turns Super Saiyan.
I never understood why the gi would suddenly change colour like that when Goku transforms. Just seemed so unnecessary.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:09 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
shinmaru wrote:Later In the Anime it's red, but it changed in yellow/orange when Goku turns Super Saiyan.
I never understood why the gi would suddenly change colour like that when Goku transforms. Just seemed so unnecessary.
It's meant to depict Super Saiyan illuminating his figure. Compare how colors appear with a brightened light source and in natural daylight, for a rough example.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:00 pm

Again, it's only red in Dragon Ball. In Z it's always orange (though not a bright, yellow orange like the manga), and it doesn't "change" when he's a Super Saiyan, his entire palette lights up to simulate glowing (which I miss in Super), as Nejishiki mentioned.
genjosanzo8 wrote:thanks a lot for your answer...so i think originally it was a dark orange reddish and with tint, saturation etc seems red . i was allways wondering that and why the color change from one source to another
Yeah, the hue can change depending on the source. In Dragon Ball, it's supposed to be red, and FUNi's masters have a yellow tint that makes all red (like blood and such) look more orange, so his gi looks almost orange in their footage, but the Dragon Box footage for the original series is pushed too far in the other direction, and it looks more magenta than red there.

But the actual colors according to the cels (and Kai) are red in Dragon Ball, and orange in Z.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I never understood why the gi would suddenly change colour like that when Goku transforms. Just seemed so unnecessary.
As Nejishiki said, it's to convey illumination, but I want to add that I particularly love its application in GT, where Goku's outfit goes from being blue and yellow to basically violet and orange.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:08 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Again, it's only red in Dragon Ball. In Z it's always orange (though not a bright, yellow orange like the manga), and it doesn't "change" when he's a Super Saiyan, his entire palette lights up to simulate glowing (which I miss in Super), as Nejishiki mentioned.
For my eyes it changed to yellow and sometimes to bright orange when Goku goes SS.
It even stays like that without the aura surrounding Goku. You know what I mean. "Change" "lights up" all the same in my book.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:48 am

by watching some old kei's sample of his broadcast video i see this and even with the tint it is orange , i really think it is a very reddish orange and can explain why it became light orange in super saiyan