Is there anything you like better in the dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Is there anything you like better in the dub?

Post by BrollysKin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:22 am

I like how everyones voices are deeper in the dub, not so high pitched.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:32 am

"The Dub" is kind of a vague term. There are many dubs all over the world for many languages, so it would be nice to, uh, specify which one you speak of.

However, I can easily gather that you are referring to the FUNImation Dub.

I liked Scott McNeils Piccolo better than the original Japanese Voice. That's the only thing I can think of that I, at this point, like better from the FUNI dub (and, ironically, it's from a set of episodes that is being redubbed.)

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:42 am

There is nothing about the dub that I prefer over the Japanese, well except for that one dialogue change that happens between Doctor Briefs and Goku when he goes to see if the Saiyajin spacepod is done being restored. Poor Goku's eager to take off and wonders what in the world could it be that Buruma's father has left to do since the ship looks pretty much ready. In the original it's that he hasn't installed a stereo system yet, but in the dub, they changed it to a cappuchino machine. I just laugh every time I hear Ian Corlett feaking about who he doesn't need any cappuchino and Dr. Briefs saying, "Well you say that now, but what happens when you have to wake without a breakfast drink to start your day?" Yes I'm weird like that. >>
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:53 am

I liked how there were a few nicknames in the dub I watch, keeping in mind I'm a Gohan fan.

In the original, the most I hear Gohan called is "Gohan-chan" by ChiChi but in the dubbed english, I love how Goku will refer to him as "little man" and Krillin with refer to him as "little buddy." I'm a sucker for cutesty stuff and I think that's kind of sweet....but hey, that's me, being gohan-bias again...
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:20 am

Yeah, I'd have to say there was plenty of dialogue during the pioneer dub which I found hilarious and probably more enjoyable than that of the original version (Hokey Pokey, oh boy...). As for the Funi dub, pfft. No.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinMetroid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:25 am

I think the scene in the Trunks Special where Trunks walks up to Gohan then goes Super Saiyan was really well done. The Japanese version is decent but Trunks' VA just blows me away on this. Eric Vale... Or Eric Johnson... Not sure which one he's going by right now...

(Interestingly, I sent the podcast an audio question asking the three hosts their opinion on this very topic a few days ago...)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:29 am

Mr. Announcer wrote:Yeah, I'd have to say there was plenty of dialogue during the pioneer dub which I found hilarious and probably more enjoyable than that of the original version (Hokey Pokey, oh boy...). As for the Funi dub, pfft. No.
Lmao...the ending to that gave a good laugh.

I have to agree...there are times in the original Season 1 and 2 dubs that just...blow me away. One even got recognition from VegettoEX on an older podcast - "You wont escape...MY WRATH!!!" (Brian Drummond).

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Re: Is there anything you like better in the dub?

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:51 am

BrollysKin wrote:I like how everyones voices are deeper in the dub, not so high pitched.
Quite personally the only voices that were so high pitched (in terms of males) were particulary done by Masako Nozawa (ala The Son Family), everything else sounds just about perfect to me. I really don't like the "deeper" voices.

There's really not much that I like from the dub, but I'll pick out one VA that really stayed with me in terms of memory to the dub. Daemon Clarke as Cell.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:10 pm

Well, my personal favorite FUNi dub moment was Goku's speech to Vegeta to persuade him to fuse. The JP version was just like "We can become stronger!" but the FUNi one was more heartfelt... I even have part of the speech as my signature :lol:!

I tracked down the complete speech here (submitted by yours truly :wink:).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:14 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Well, my personal favorite FUNi dub moment was Goku's speech to Vegeta to persuade him to fuse. The JP version was just like "We can become stronger!" but the FUNi one was more heartfelt... I even have part of the speech as my signature :lol:!

I agree. I liked that bit, too.

Also, Dameon Clarke is an awesome VA.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:15 pm

I liked some of the music in the Funimation Dub. Admittedly, the fact that there is too much of it in some places where there SHOULD be silence for eerie atmosphere it true. However, there are a few places where there is silence in the original that the music added by Funimation really seemed to fit, or thier music fit the mod better than some of the recycled themes from dragonball that didn't really fit that scene in Dragonball Z in the Japanese version.

I am not sure what the actual names of the two themes I am thinking of are called. So I will describe as best I can. What I call the "Vegeta Theme" the music that plays in scenes that predominately feature Vegeta doing something. The scene where he is under Babidi's influence and killing innocents to taunt Son into fighting. Then Kaioshin tries to stop Son from fighting. He lifts his hand and threatens to blast the Lord of lords out of the way if he tries to interfere. That music fit the scene and Vegeta's cruelty well I felt.

It also fits the scene back when Android #19 is about to suck the life out of Son Goku. Vegeta flies in and kicks him off then makes his proud speech and kicks Son Goku out of his way as well. The music, I felt, fit there very well too.

The other theme is used when Piccolo is fighting Imperfect Cell and Android #17. I think it fits those scenes well.

As far as dialog changes, there are a few I like over the original, but a few that agitate me that they deviate too far from the original idea. Trunks saga, Gohan asks Piccolo why he chose to stay on earth and not travel to New Namek with the other namekians. Piccolo says that sometimes connections between people and places run deeper than where they came from or what color thier skin is. Something to that effect that seemed fairly touching. I don't think the original dialog was quite so deep there if I remember correctly.

The other way around, after Trunks leaves and they are talking about the androids, Bulma says they should go kill Gero pre-emptively. Goku rejects the idea. It is what Krillin says in the original that is much more perceptive and intellgent than the babble he spouts in the dub. He tells Bulma that if Goku, Piccolo, and Vegeta do not have a common enemy that they would very soon revert to fighting one another. They should have had him say the same thing in the dub. I hadn't really thought about it like that until I watched the Subtitles on. Krillin was exactly right. Vegeta still had an ax to grind with Goku, and Piccolo wasn't exactly comfortable with the idea of either saiyan around hindering his plans as well. Piccolo didn't totally bury the hatchet and become friends with Goku until they trained together for the androids.

It can go both ways, there are aspects of both the original and the dub that I like better. To solve the problem of deciding what version to watch when, I watch the dub when viewing with friends, and the original with subtitles whenever I watch alone. That way, I can enjoy both to the full extent.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:02 pm

Adult Gohan's voice in the Ocean Group dub. It wasn't scruffy, like Kyle Hebert's, and he sounded softer because of that, more of the way Masako Nozawa portryed him in the Japanese version.

I also liked Cell's Ocean voice (I haven't seen almost all of the FUNi dub). It was closer to Norio Wakamoto's; more suave, but more sinister. It just really matched his appearance. Dameon Clarke was good, but compared to the Ocean Cell... meh.

Chibi Trunks's Ocean voice was really good, as well. It wasn't nearly as high-pitched as Laura Bailey's, and he actually sounded like a mischievous 8 year-old, not a woman trying really hard to sound male. I sometimes wonder if they actually did hire a kid for Chibi Trunks.

Can you tell that I hate the Ocean Group? :lol:
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:08 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Adult Gohan's voice in the Ocean Group dub. It wasn't scruffy, like Kyle Hebert's, and he sounded softer because of that, more of the way Masako Nozawa portryed him in the Japanese version.

I also liked Cell's Ocean voice (I haven't seen almost all of the FUNi dub). It was closer to Norio Wakamoto's; more suave, but more sinister. It just really matched his appearance. Dameon Clarke was good, but compared to the Ocean Cell... meh.

Chibi Trunks's Ocean voice was really good, as well. It wasn't nearly as high-pitched as Laura Bailey's, and he actually sounded like a mischievous 8 year-old, not a woman trying really hard to sound male. I sometimes wonder if they actually did hire a kid for Chibi Trunks.

Can you tell that I hate the Ocean Group? :lol:
I had no idea that YTV was aired in Penguin Village...or is Penguin Village part of Canada?!

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:08 pm

I would've said nothing but then I saw movie seven's dub AKA Goku getting punched in the nuts. That moment is so amazing in the dub when compared to the original. :lol:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:39 pm

After falling in love with the original series, there are many aspects of FUNi's adaption that I appreciate.

I really enjoy Bruce Faulconer's work. He designs his music to really take an active role with the characters or scenes in the story. There are certain pieces that I recall in the Goku/Freeza battle that can really take your away mentally and move you emotionally; it's almost like something out of Carl Sagan's Cosmos series. However it was when Season Four started up that Faulconer really hit it out of the park. The themes became much more involved and totally set the attitude for the show.

Some of my favorites include the Androids' creepy horror movie-like themes, and the techno style that was used for Cell, as well as the Kid Buu music.

Another aspect of FUNimation's I like is the quirky comedy and one-liners they inject into the show. I think it really helps give the dub personality and a familiarity that separates it from the original. Plus it makes me believe that the actors and writers are having a good time doing the series. And any running jokes that they provide are always good.

I like most all of the humor that comes from Roshi and Krillin, and their actors play a significant role in that. I also like Vegeta's "Excuse me, Mr.Hotpants" line from the Freeza arc, as well as the conversations about a Saiyan's hair growth in the Cell saga where Goku remarks "I just wish I could do something about these split ends". That kind of thing makes me laugh.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:12 pm

Gohan's scene when he shows his anger against Dr. Wheelo in Movie 2 was better in the dub on the Pioneer-released DVD, in my opinion. In fact, same with him vs. Garlic Jr. near the end of Movie 1 too (Pioneer one, not UUE)
Last edited by tarsonis on Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:39 pm

I'd say I prefer FUNi's voices. They're just what I came to like DbZ with, and it's hard for me to imagine them any different. That'd be my like for the dub, I guess.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:03 pm

I really enjoyed Funi's entire take on "Bulma gives Vegeta a pink shirt".
And then when Vegeta comments on Goku's odd clothing he pokes fun back saying something like "At least its not pink.".
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:18 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Well, my personal favorite FUNi dub moment was Goku's speech to Vegeta to persuade him to fuse. The JP version was just like "We can become stronger!" but the FUNi one was more heartfelt... I even have part of the speech as my signature :lol:!

I also thought of your quote when I saw this topic. I truly wish that was a part of the original script, because it's such an amazing speech.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:56 pm

I like a lot of the comedic lines like, "I'm not a candy, I'm a jawbreaker!" and Trunks and Goten writing their names with their pee. And of course, "Ginyu Transformation". That should have played in the redub when Vegeta got hit by the Spirit Bomb.