ocean super? ( just an idea)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

ocean super? ( just an idea)

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:12 pm

We have ideas as to why ocean kai didnt get picked up and funi seems focused on super. Do you think an ocean super would be possible? I would love to see it and the fact another english dub being made in the US (which is interesting in its self) had me thinking. That and I'd love to see drummond in the black saga

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Re: ocean super? ( just an idea)

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:15 pm

Who would air (and fund) this? The same Canadian and Dutch broadcasters that didn't want Kai? The same UK broadcaster that took Funimation's version and reportedly have 0 interest in Super?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:11 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Who would air (and fund) this? The same Canadian and Dutch broadcasters that didn't want Kai? The same UK broadcaster that took Funimation's version and reportedly have 0 interest in Super?
I have no idea maybe toonami asia if this new dub fails? Lol in all honesty they should try hulu canada or netflix? Is there a crunchyroll canada?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:04 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Who would air (and fund) this? The same Canadian and Dutch broadcasters that didn't want Kai? The same UK broadcaster that took Funimation's version and reportedly have 0 interest in Super?
I have no idea maybe toonami asia if this new dub fails? Lol in all honesty they should try hulu canada or netflix? Is there a crunchyroll canada?
Problem is FUNi have the complete license of Super in Cananda so if Super was available on those platforms it will be the FUNi dub.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Problem is FUNi have the complete license of Super in Cananda so if Super was available on those platforms it will be the FUNi dub.
I think FUNi's license in Canada means DVD releases would be the FUNi dub (Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that there are DVDs of FUNi's releases in Canada) so a TV Broadcast of Ocean Dub is possible but very unlikely (more unlikely than Ocean Kai seeing the light of day)
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:24 pm

thomas1up wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
I think FUNi's license in Canada means DVD releases would be the FUNi dub (Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that there are DVDs of FUNi's releases in Canada) so a TV Broadcast of Ocean Dub is possible but very unlikely (more unlikely than Ocean Kai seeing the light of day)
FUNi's announcement said it was for broadcast and merchandise opportunities too aswell as all home media platforms.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:44 pm

As much as I'd love to see an Ocean dub of Super it doesn't seem likely at this stage because of roadblocks caused by the still hoarded Kai 1.0 dub, both because TOEI don't give the Super licence to companies that have dubbed only Kai 1.0, and obviously the money that went into licensing, dubbing, rescoring and mixing those 98 Kai episodes is far too much for Ocean to continue unless they can make a return on what they've already done, and uninterested TV networks will do nothing to help that.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi's announcement said it was for broadcast and merchandise opportunities too aswell as all home media platforms.
It's hard to say Funimation didn't hold those rights for Kai. Their initial press release was far from specific about what they obtained.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:As much as I'd love to see an Ocean dub of Super it doesn't seem likely at this stage because of roadblocks caused by the still hoarded Kai 1.0 dub, both because TOEI don't give the Super licence to companies that have dubbed only Kai 1.0, and obviously the money that went into licensing, dubbing, rescoring and mixing those 98 Kai episodes is far too much for Ocean to continue unless they can make a return on what they've already done, and uninterested TV networks will do nothing to help that.
Portugal never got a dub of Kai in general and yet they were the first European market to get Super. :crazy:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:45 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi's announcement said it was for broadcast and merchandise opportunities too aswell as all home media platforms.
It's hard to say Funimation didn't hold those rights for Kai. Their initial press release was far from specific about what they obtained.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:As much as I'd love to see an Ocean dub of Super it doesn't seem likely at this stage because of roadblocks caused by the still hoarded Kai 1.0 dub, both because TOEI don't give the Super licence to companies that have dubbed only Kai 1.0, and obviously the money that went into licensing, dubbing, rescoring and mixing those 98 Kai episodes is far too much for Ocean to continue unless they can make a return on what they've already done, and uninterested TV networks will do nothing to help that.
Portugal never got a dub of Kai in general and yet they were the first European market to get Super. :crazy:
The criteria appears to be either you dubbed all of Kai, or none of it in order to secure Super.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:23 pm

The real problem is that since Ocean dubbed part of Kai are obligated to finish dubbing it before they can acquire Super. As DBZ_Lee explained its an all or nothing scenario when it comes to license holders and Kai being a precursor to Super. Portugal could skip ahead to Super because they never licensed Kai, the same would be true for Ocean if they never got Kai. It's ironic given Kirbopher's recent revelation the Kai Ocean dub is more than likely not coming out, as it may have been better off in some respects if Ocean never dubbed Kai because then without the obligation to finish it they would have no problem getting Super. An Ocean Super dub may have been more favourable to Canadian broadcasters than Kai since the former is much more dependent on heavy merchandising.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:26 am

The funny thing about Portugal is that it actually got the first 98 episodes of Kai on TV ... in a subtitled broadcast. The Final Chapters is still MIA, as far as I know.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:11 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:

The real problem is that since Ocean dubbed part of Kai are obligated to finish dubbing it before they can acquire Super. As DBZ_Lee explained its an all or nothing scenario when it comes to license holders and Kai being a precursor to Super. Portugal could skip ahead to Super because they never licensed Kai, the same would be true for Ocean if they never got Kai. It's ironic given Kirbopher's recent revelation the Kai Ocean dub is more than likely not coming out, as it may have been better off in some respects if Ocean never dubbed Kai because then without the obligation to finish it they would have no problem getting Super. An Ocean Super dub may have been more favourable to Canadian broadcasters than Kai since the former is much more dependent on heavy merchandising.

Thats a real shame too considering Toei had the UK go with funi :/

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:02 pm

I'd love an Ocean dub of Super, but it seems unlikely.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:50 am

Yeah and then introducing our beloved Army Theme!!! xD