Roshi over Yamcha, will this be the new norm?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Roshi over Yamcha, will this be the new norm?

Post by precita » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:19 am

It seems like Roshi is once again being chosen over Yamcha for the next Super arc, similar to Return of F. Back then I liked Roshi coming back to fight and I assumed it was for nostalgic purposes but I wish Yamcha was there too. Roshi beating some of Freeza's men was believeable because most of them were incredibly weak.

But now its happening again. Even worse, its right after Yamcha has gotten some spotlight again. But it seems like they don't want him part of the action anymore which makes no sense. On all of Super's openings/endings they continually show Yamcha alongside the other fighters...yet in the actual episodes he's not fighting alongside them.

So why do they do that? And why is this happening twice in a row?

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Roshi over Yamcha, will this be the new norm?

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:27 am

I'm sick of Yamcha and Chaozu being protected from stuff they used to do back in Dragon Ball up until mid-DBZ.
But with the character being best known for being weak and "that dude who got cratere'd lulz", then I understand where Toei is coming from.

But I really want to see Yamcha back in action as well, but I know that will never happen.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:27 am

Think, do you actually want Yamcha to fight, only to get humiliated again..
After all the spot light he received, I would rather not have his name sullied once more..

Roshi fighting by going buff is pretty much my favorite transformation and fighting style, it looks awesome and we get to see actual techniques instead of the haaaaaaaaraaaaaaa fest going on..
The super powerful puches become boring after a while..

Not saying Yamcha shouldn't be there, but not instead of roshi, 17 shouldn't have been there of all people, just to keep Yamcha away they brought 17 back, we haven't seen him in ages.. at least roshi was always there and rof he proved he is considered better than Yamcha at handling fighting
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:46 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Think, do you actually want Yamcha to fight, only to get humiliated again..
After all the spot light he received, I would rather not have his name sullied once more..

Roshi fighting by going buff is pretty much my favorite transformation and fighting style, it looks awesome and we get to see actual techniques instead of the haaaaaaaaraaaaaaa fest going on..
The super powerful puches become boring after a while..

Not saying Yamcha shouldn't be there, but not instead of roshi, 17 shouldn't have been there of all people, just to keep Yamcha away they brought 17 back, we haven't seen him in ages.. at least roshi was always there and rof he proved he is considered better than Yamcha at handling fighting
Well if they're going to have him become a punching bag for the lulz and get crater'd again...then I guess you're right.
I'm still happy about Tenshinhan, Roshi, Kuririn, Lapis, Lazuli, Gohan and Piccolo though :D

But still sad about Yamcha not being in it....but if all they could have done was make fun of him like in the baseball episode.
Then maybe it was best for him to stay in the farm or bleachers..... :(

YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:49 am

AnzuMazaki wrote:I'm sick of Yamcha and Chaozu being protected from stuff they used to do back in Dragon Ball up until mid-DBZ.
But with the character being best known for being weak and "that dude who got cratere'd lulz", then I understand where Toei is coming from.

But I really want to see Yamcha back in action as well, but I know that will never happen.
Toriyama is writing the new story, not Toei. Toriyama unfortunately doesn't give a fuck about Yamcha.
I think Toei still see Yamcha as a Z-warrior, he's part of the group that are flying at the end of the opening and he's also standing with the group in the uhm, 3rd (?) ending.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:00 am

Jaetinh wrote:
AnzuMazaki wrote:I'm sick of Yamcha and Chaozu being protected from stuff they used to do back in Dragon Ball up until mid-DBZ.

Toriyama is writing the new story, not Toei. Toriyama unfortunately doesn't give a fuck about Yamcha.
I think Toei still see Yamcha as a Z-warrior, he's part of the group that are flying at the end of the opening and he's also standing with the group in the uhm, 3rd (?) ending.
Toriyama really should start caring about Yamcha...I'm glad Toei included him in the openings and endings but the fact that Toriyama excluded him is not fair at all.
He was more than some human who dated Vegeta's wife, he was a Z-fighter as well, in spite of all the failures he's went through.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:56 am

Yamcha and Chaozu are really nothing characters, I never cared for them in Z and they never really had much of a role in Z in the first place, so I don't understand the anger of them not being part of the team. If you like Yamcha go read the new manga, if you like Chaozu, well I don't understand how anyone can like Chaozu thre nothing appealing about the character.
I'm actually glad that Roshi has taken Yamcha's spot, I always felt it was a missed opportunity to just leave him out of most of the fighting in Z.

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:33 am

It doesn't make any sense, Muten Roshi is way below Yamcha & Chaozu level, the old timmer can't even fly. Both Yamcha & Chaozu trained with Kami & Kaio, Yamcha trained till the Cell games and Chaozu always trains with Tenshinhan.

Chaozu along with Ten were able to avoid Super Buu's genoicide attack, I seriously doubt Roshi could do that, he hasn't enough agility to escape so many ki blasts.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:18 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Think, do you actually want Yamcha to fight, only to get humiliated again..
Humiliation comes with the territory. Vegeta gets slapped around all the time, no one is telling him stay behind and let Goku and Future Trunks do all the work. Piccolo always gets slapped around. Tenshinhan has lost a lot of fights. Krillin may have lost more fights than Yamcha. Master Roshi is lucky, but best believe he can't stand up to the same blast that Chaozu could tank. It's a weak excuse to claim you don't want someone getting beat up, when everyone gets beat up as a staple-it's shonen. I mean, even Gohan got torn up in RoF, no one ever says he should stay back.

Let Yamcha and Chaozu fight. If they get messed up, they get messed up. But it's a fallacy to say keep them out so they don't get hurt, when everyone gets hurt.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:25 am

FoolsGil wrote:
Humiliation comes with the territory. Vegeta gets slapped around all the time, no one is telling him stay behind and let Goku and Future Trunks do all the work. Piccolo always gets slapped around. Tenshinhan has lost a lot of fights. Krillin has lost a lot of fights. Master Roshi is lucky, but best believe he can't stand up to the same blast that Chaozu could tank. It's a weak excuse to claim you don't want someone getting beat up, when everyone gets beat up as a staple-it's shonen,
Haha, Yamcha is already out of all this, Trying to drag him down in it again for the sole purpose of getting beat down is not very appealing..
The only thing I don't want happening is fans disrespecting Yamcha yet again after they just started respecting him..
When anyone else fails no one bats an eye, Yamcha screws up everyone loses their minds..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:59 pm

SSJ YUSUKE wrote:Yamcha and Chaozu are really nothing characters, I never cared for them in Z and they never really had much of a role in Z in the first place, so I don't understand the anger of them not being part of the team. If you like Yamcha go read the new manga, if you like Chaozu, well I don't understand how anyone can like Chaozu thre nothing appealing about the character.
I'm actually glad that Roshi has taken Yamcha's spot, I always felt it was a missed opportunity to just leave him out of most of the fighting in Z.
Yamcha literally has the most amount of personality among the main cast, a long backstory where we've seen him develop and had just as many character moments in DBZ as the other humans.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:02 pm

I personally find Roshi a much more fun and interesting character than Yamcha in both abilities and personality, so I'm perfectly okay with this. Besides, Roshi did absolutely nothing of any importance after the King Piccolo arc, even in the filler of DB or Z. Yamcha at least had that bone throne towards him in Z, so I'm glad that one of the original characters form the old-school era of Dragon Ball is returning to prominence. He fucking deserves it.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:09 pm

I think Roshi is much more of a badass than yamcha. I also like his perverted side too. So for me, I rather have Roshi.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:13 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I personally find Roshi a much more fun and interesting character than Yamcha in both abilities and personality, so I'm perfectly okay with this. Besides, Roshi did absolutely nothing of any importance after the King Piccolo arc, even in the filler of DB or Z. Yamcha at least had that bone throne towards him in Z, so I'm glad that one of the original characters form the old-school era of Dragon Ball is returning to prominence. He fucking deserves it.
The point is Roshi retired because the younger generation surpassed him so quickly. Seeing him have a one-off return in the Freeza movie was fine for nostalgic or fanservice reasons, but to see this continually happen makes no sense

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:29 pm

I want both of them and they should change it to eleven participants.
It surely can't make that much of a difference.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:44 pm

Maybe one of the universal Fighters can be a Baseball and they need Yamcha to fight him.

But I do like Roshi when he is serious. So I have no qualms about him coming along. I grieved for Yamacha a long time ago. It's a shame, but it is what it is.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:12 pm

Among all the z fighters in the entire cast, yamcha and chiaotzu have the most loses. They have done very little in terms of story and i think the only time yamcha has done anything of use is a movie that i cant even remember and when he cut goku's tail, though that may be a movie.

Roshi is just awesome, does it make sense of course not, but who cares? Power scaling hasnt made sense since yamcha, tien and krillin surpassed goku in the saiyan saga in 1 year by doing the same training he did for 3.

Yamcha is a joke who is best for slice of life episodes which is where he shines best

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Totamo wrote:Among all the z fighters in the entire cast, yamcha and chiaotzu have the most loses.
Yamcha literally only has 2 losses in all of DBZ. To the Saibaman, and if you count it, Dr. Gero punching a hole through him. Even then the latter wasn't even a fight since Gero surprised him.

Yamcha and all the others got beat up by the Cell Jr.'s, but he was still able to help out against Cell. Yamcha also never fought Buu even in anime filler.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:33 pm

precita wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I personally find Roshi a much more fun and interesting character than Yamcha in both abilities and personality, so I'm perfectly okay with this. Besides, Roshi did absolutely nothing of any importance after the King Piccolo arc, even in the filler of DB or Z. Yamcha at least had that bone throne towards him in Z, so I'm glad that one of the original characters form the old-school era of Dragon Ball is returning to prominence. He fucking deserves it.
The point is Roshi retired because the younger generation surpassed him so quickly. Seeing him have a one-off return in the Freeza movie was fine for nostalgic or fanservice reasons, but to see this continually happen makes no sense
Why does it make no sense? If Roshi wants to come out of retirement and fight, he can damn well do so.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:17 pm

I don't mind Master Roshi fighting, but I hate how TOEI has been edging Yamcha (and Chiaotzu) out of recent battles. At least against the Cell Jrs., it shows that when stuff REALLY hits the fan, Yamcha can be VERY competent.