Master Roshi as a prominent fighter

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Master Roshi as a prominent fighter

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:47 am

It's pretty interesting that now Master Roshi (and Tien) have risen to become prominent fighters in the DB universe, being able to take on alien beings. They haven't been this prominent since the DB saga when they were competing in the Tournaments.

It should be awesome to see how the old sensei of DB manages to take on cosmic warriors from another universe. He should have some cool new never-seen-before techniques that he picked up in his long life, and should be great to see.

And if some of the fighters are beautiful women it'd be funny to see him fuck up his fights. :P
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Re: Master Roshi as a prominent fighter

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:07 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:It's pretty interesting that now Master Roshi (and Tien) have risen to become prominent fighters in the DB universe, being able to take on alien beings. They haven't been this prominent since the DB saga when they were competing in the Tournaments.

It should be awesome to see how the old sensei of DB manages to take on cosmic warriors from another universe. He should have some cool new never-seen-before techniques that he picked up in his long life, and should be great to see.

And if some of the fighters are beautiful women it'd be funny to see him fuck up his fights. :P
He definitely will go against a woman I also expect Vegeta and Krillin to face women

Just seeing Roshi and Tien fighting in any situation at this stage of the series will be great no matter what.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:09 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote: And if some of the fighters are beautiful women it'd be funny to see him fuck up his fights. :P
If roshi knows what the stakes are, I doubt he will go for the booty
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:43 pm

Tien has always been prominent though, he helped fight the saiyans, Cell, and at least attempted to fight Buu.
But it is nice to see Roshi again, although at the cost of Goten & Trunks. :(

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:14 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:If Roshi knows what the stakes are, I doubt he will go for the booty
Come on, it's not Roshi if he doesn't do something perverted.

And even in Dream 9, he tried to grope Nami.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:30 pm

I love that Master Roshi is becoming a prominent fighter again. The new generation of Dragon Ball fans need to be reminded of just was a great fighter is is/was, and what he can bring to the table other than the "pervy old man" gimmick.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:13 pm

Its too bad Roshi does not make sense. He's weaker than King Piccolo, maybe Radditz level if we're being generous.

How can a guy weaker or on par with Radditz be able to fight other characters?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:46 am

Every character was selected for a resson we will just gave to wait what for though. They won't be used for nothing as this is the universal survival arc.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:07 am

In-story wise I'm not sure they'll be a special reason Roshi decides to participate. He knows he'll be severely outclassed. I can't think of a reason he'd join.

Its just that Toriyama seems nostalgic for him and is trying to involve him more.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:42 pm

Master Roshi is one of my favourite characters of all time, but I'm still a little saddened there wasn't room for Yamcha. An outing with all the turtle school students and their master would have been potentially a ton of fun. Hell, Yamcha and Roshi's dynamic isn't really explored which is honestly a pity; you'd think Roshi would be asking the only singleton student to take him out to meet girls more.

That said, I'm intrigued how they're planning to use Roshi and to a lesser extent Tenshinhan and Krillin in this tournament. Maybe we'll finally do away with power=everything and the Earthling's inherit skill as martial artists will be able to trump some stronger opponents? It'd make fights a lot more interesting than "this guy has the bigger power level so he's gonna win". Watching someone use their opponents strength against them seems like such a natural martial arts trope and yet Dragonball rarely touches upon it.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:42 pm

I don't get why people think they will be useless. Power that surpasses or rivals Gods is supposed to be extremely rare within all 12 universe. It's likely each universe has less than a handful of people on that level. It's possible each universe is rounded off "weakly" like that.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:10 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:I don't get why people think they will be useless. Power that surpasses or rivals Gods is supposed to be extremely rare within all 12 universe. It's likely each universe has less than a handful of people on that level. It's possible each universe is rounded off "weakly" like that.
Tien and Roshi fell off the power charts long before GoDs.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:14 am

Simere wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:I don't get why people think they will be useless. Power that surpasses or rivals Gods is supposed to be extremely rare within all 12 universe. It's likely each universe has less than a handful of people on that level. It's possible each universe is rounded off "weakly" like that.
Tien and Roshi fell off the power charts long before GoDs.
That is probably why this arc will be a comeback for many of the fighters.