Opinion and discussion thread on Akira Toriyama.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Opinion and discussion thread on Akira Toriyama.

Post by keyz05 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Post your opinions and discussions on what you think about the main writer/artist of the series. It can range from how he accepts his series popularity and to his newer plans on DragonBall Super. So, feel free to post whatever you like about him!

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Re: Opinion and discussion thread on Akira Toriyama.

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:44 pm

He is a honest mangaka who accepts that he is lazy and doesn't plan ahead and trolls people for fun. I like that quality of his. He is at his best when he writes and draws silly stuff and at his worst when he tries to tackle complex themes like time travel and shit.

At his prime, his drawings were amazing. The way he drew each panel and the amount of effort he put into it does show that while he maybe lazy, he puts everything into his work when required.

I think Toriyama is was and always will be a gag manga artist at heart and that's what I like most about him. As a battle series creator, he is okay. I don't like him that much.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Well, his work is the reason why we are all here. That's enough said. Other than that, I haven't met him, so I wouldn't know. But his work on Dragon Ball has definitely changed my life. If it didn't, I wouldn't be here. So, I'm definitely appreciative of that.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:39 pm

I honestly hope that he finally remembers something. Well at the very least Toei will remind him.
But my opinion on the man, out of all the series I've read of his Sand land and Dragon ball, i've only enjoyed one. Because Sand land represents the absolute worst, of the worst, of what he is capable of writing. It is boring dull, it's a large desert paraded by some carboard cut outs masquerading as people.

And I realize that the cell Arc, is nowhere near as bad, as that. And I'm thankful, that in dragon ball even at his very worst. It's still better than Sand land

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:45 pm

He does what he wants and that is exactly what the creator of a fictional piece should.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:47 pm

The world would be a different place without him. Seriously, his existence shaped the world we are in.

Marugoto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marugoto » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:48 pm

He was a great artist. I don't like his current work and art style to be honest. In terms of story telling, he's at his best when he works with an editor who's not afraid to creatively challenge him.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:49 pm

He's really the kind of person who has specific style of writing, and even when times change and society evolves, his somewhat antiquated and old-school fashion of presenting a narrative remains the same. While I do wish he would adapt a more planning style approach to writing stories because while he thrives of improvisational writing, it can sometime lead to issues with continuity and can outright even create plotholes. But at the same, some his best work is often produced though that style of writing, so, I guess more power to him and I hope he can provide more stories for years to come. One thing that have evolved though is his art style, to the point where it's almost jarring. But even with the drastic change is how he draws, his art-style still remains extremely appealing.

Personally, I love the fact that Toriyama is just contributing to franchise again. Some of it has been great (Jaco, BOG, Beerus, Whis, SSJ God), decent (Resurrection F, Golden Freeza) and pretty forgettable (Dragon Ball Minus, Gine). But just the fact that the creator of Dragon Ball is taking the helm of the franchise, after so many years absent from Dragon Ball... it's pretty surreal. Especially consider he turned down a truck load of money from Bandai to create a new series a few years back. You can he's doing it for the love of the franchise.

Akira Toriyama is a the man. 8)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:09 am

I just want to say I love his recent designs for Dragon Ball Super and I also like his current art style.
The artworks he provided for the front and the back of Super Exciting Guide look very good, especially the muscles look very proportionate and the characters look more like fighters and less like bodybuilders. Not that I disliked his old style, I am still in love with his artstyle from the beginning of the androids arc (since Future Trunks' first appearance) to the end of Cell Games.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:43 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:He is a honest mangaka who accepts that he is lazy and doesn't plan ahead and trolls people for fun. I like that quality of his. He is at his best when he writes and draws silly stuff and at his worst when he tries to tackle complex themes like time travel and shit.

At his prime, his drawings were amazing. The way he drew each panel and the amount of effort he put into it does show that while he maybe lazy, he puts everything into his work when required.

I think Toriyama is was and always will be a gag manga artist at heart and that's what I like most about him. As a battle series creator, he is okay. I don't like him that much.
I agree with this except for the fact that Toriyama is at his best when he has a dedicated editor to drive him to better production and focus his concepts and at his worse when he is left as the unquestioned and infallible God of storytelling while only drawing up vague plot points.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:48 am

TheMikado wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:He is a honest mangaka who accepts that he is lazy and doesn't plan ahead and trolls people for fun. I like that quality of his. He is at his best when he writes and draws silly stuff and at his worst when he tries to tackle complex themes like time travel and shit.

I agree with this except for the fact that Toriyama is at his best when he has a dedicated editor to drive him to better production and focus his concepts and at his worse when he is left as the unquestioned and infallible God of storytelling while only drawing up vague plot points.
Like George Lucas.
at his worst when he tries to tackle complex themes like time travel and shit.
How many time travel stories can you name where they don't run into those sort of plot holes?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:23 pm

One of the best if not the best action manga choreographers and makes unquie great characters.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:38 pm

DB for the last 10+ years has become a part of my daily life, weather it's listening to its music, watching clips on the internet or just talking to friends and people here about it.

It's the only story that makes me think about writing and the only franchise I'd write a fan story about.

Toriyama's original story had great stories, character designs & was overall a really fun story for anyone, regardless of how old they were or ehre they lived. Z in particular is my all time favorite story.

BOG was a great way to revive the franchise and it alongside his other stories showed that he can still tell good stories.

DB led to the creation of my other 2 favorite anime, Naruto and One Piece and they alongside DB are the reason me and countless others are anime fans today.

Thank you Toriyama sensi for changing the entertainment world and having such a big impact on your fans.
Lord Beerus wrote:You can he's doing it for the love of the franchise.
And it shows, you could tell from the Buu arc in the manga that he was tired but at the same time he gave it his all and then some to give the franchise the conclusion it deserved which is something a lot of authors fail at.

Same thing with his current stories, he wasn't even asked to take part in them but he decided to anyway to prevent another DB evolution and I wouldn't be surprised if he stays on longer than he wants just to keep the franchise's reputation safe.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:He's really the kind of person who has specific style of writing, and even when times change and society evolves, his somewhat antiquated and old-school fashion of presenting a narrative remains the same. While I do wish he would adapt a more planning style approach to writing stories because while he thrives of improvisational writing, it can sometime lead to issues with continuity and can outright even create plotholes. But at the same, some his best work is often produced though that style of writing, so, I guess more power to him and I hope he can provide more stories for years to come. One thing that have evolved though is his art style, to the point where it's almost jarring. But even with the drastic change is how he draws, his art-style still remains extremely appealing.

Personally, I love the fact that Toriyama is just contributing to franchise again. Some of it has been great (Jaco, BOG, Beerus, Whis, SSJ God), decent (Resurrection F, Golden Freeza) and pretty forgettable (Dragon Ball Minus, Gine). But just the fact that the creator of Dragon Ball is taking the helm of the franchise, after so many years absent from Dragon Ball... it's pretty surreal. Especially consider he turned down a truck load of money from Bandai to create a new series a few years back. You can he's doing it for the love of the franchise.

Akira Toriyama is a the man. 8)
I'd still want him to have a proper shot on Minus. It's always too short to be anything significant or interesting.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Akira Toriyama is ranked pretty high on my list of Great Human Beings, Their Occupations, and Their Contributions To Society (though Shunsuke Kikuchi is ranked higher because I'm a musician, not an artist, and Kikuchi has had more influence on me). However, I feel like in DBZ Toriyama started to get a bit lazy in his writing and kept mostly the same plot formula for each arc. Additionally, I am offended by some of the manga's dated portrayals (Mr Popo and General Blue), though I realize that the manga was written in the 1980s where worldviews like that were common. In all, though, I'm a huge fan of Akira Toriyama and his work because it's unique in many ways and he created a series which I will probably love all my life.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:46 pm

One word: Mastermind
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:17 am

I dislike current Akira Toriyama's writing style, I prefer the old him of the manga because things made more sense from an in-universe perspective. I like how he's honest with himself, and is shamelessly lazy, I adore that about him. I also like how he tackles irony in general, like making small guys strong, or having an immortal like Zamasu use a mortal's body despite hating them (which I still don't excuse because of execution, though I like the idea in concept). His art is great, and even though I detest Super, the character designs are still great imo; the introduction of the new GoD and angel in today's V-Jump looked like classic Toriyama art. I like his characters as well, they're fun and interesting and lovable. Still my favorite mangaka and Japanese artist, despite how frustrated I am with and how poor I think Super is.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:08 am

TheMikado wrote:

I agree with this except for the fact that Toriyama is at his best when he has a dedicated editor to [b]drive him to better production and focus his concepts[/b] and at his worse when he is left as the unquestioned and infallible God of storytelling while only drawing up vague plot points.
Wat! These 2 sentences contradict each other so badly.

If Toriyama is at his best when someone is editing his work, then simply drawing up plot points should put this stuff far above previous work as those are way easier to edit You just have to connect the dots in the best way possible. If you can't make the best out of a plot outline. Thats on you.

Toriyama is a gag writer and he is definitely at his best when he is not trying to be serious, he says it himself I only want to entertain people, nothing more. have you read his many one shots. There full of creativity, action and comedy. Very lighthearted stuff and entertaining.

The man ain't flawless, but he has definitely great when he is in his natural element.

Case in point: Jaco vs Dragon Ball Minus. One was a fun little thing, the other was a serious backstory.

Guess which one came out better.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:09 am

A unique man that has touched the lives of millions with his work, up to this point mangakas even puts in a lil trait of Goku in their main characters.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Totamo wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

I agree with this except for the fact that Toriyama is at his best when he has a dedicated editor to [b]drive him to better production and focus his concepts[/b] and at his worse when he is left as the unquestioned and infallible God of storytelling while only drawing up vague plot points.
Wat! These 2 sentences contradict each other so badly.

If Toriyama is at his best when someone is editing his work, then simply drawing up plot points should put this stuff far above previous work as those are way easier to edit You just have to connect the dots in the best way possible. If you can't make the best out of a plot outline. Thats on you.

Toriyama is a gag writer and he is definitely at his best when he is not trying to be serious, he says it himself I only want to entertain people, nothing more. have you read his many one shots. There full of creativity, action and comedy. Very lighthearted stuff and entertaining.

The man ain't flawless, but he has definitely great when he is in his natural element.

Case in point: Jaco vs Dragon Ball Minus. One was a fun little thing, the other was a serious backstory.

Guess which one came out better.
I fail to see the contradiction. Toriyama's work is better when he has an editor to work with. I personally feel its worse in terms of quality and cohesiveness when there limited back and forth exchange from an editor.
I fail to see the problem with those statements or how they contradict one another.