Frieza is really killing it since his return?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kishido
Banned

Frieza is really killing it since his return?

Post by Kishido » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Who agrees? He wasn't that good in RoF but ever since his return he really is just amazing. From his interaction with Goku over his attitude. Just awesome

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Frieza is really killing it since his return?

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:44 pm

That's what people get for underestimating The Emperor :twisted:
I remember being one of these who defended his return this arc, and actually prefered him participating over Buu. For various reasons, one of which is a great personality, which Buu wouldn't be able to pull.
Last edited by Xeogran on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:45 pm

He's one of the best things about this arc so far.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:47 pm

The small part this episode where he just says I'm off to enjoy myself too and just shoots 2 random ki blasts while giggling...had me lolng hard for some reason XD.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:48 pm

I'm mostly curious what Freeza will do towards the end or after the tournament. There's some hints that he wants to overthrow Beerus.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:07 pm

I absolutely despise Freeza I'm so fucking tired of him I wish they'd stop bringing this god damned character back to life let him sit in hell six feet under where I never have to see or hear about him again.

...But all that being said, I actually like what they're doing with him so far. His writing has been fantastic, probably some of the best writing his character has ever had. I hope his plot with Frost is something interesting because I think a generic backstabbing team-up on Goku or something would be really boring and a detriment to his overall character if he tries to betray Goku and then just gets fucked again for the zillionth time. On the other hand, if Frost tried to get rid of Hit as well and they had a 2v2, that could be pretty cool and interesting to see.

So yeah, I'm excited to see where his character goes. When the leaks first came out about him I thought it would be an utter disaster and I had a feeling it would be the thing that killed this arc, but so far it's actually made it a lot more interesting and fun.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:19 pm

A character can never be destroyed beyond repair, and freeza is a shining example of that..

Not true for a person though, once you let em know you burned their dress they will never look at you the same, even after you pour water on them to stop the fire..
Talk about ungrateful..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:26 pm

Frieza has been absolutely fantastic. Even in the latest episode where he gets about 10 seconds of screen time, he's an enjoyable character. Everyone runs head first into battle, while Frieza takes an intimidating walk towards center stage like an apex predator. It's easy to see how evil Frieza is when compared to pure hearted characters, but even around those that are malicious and sinister, he shows himself do be a different animal.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:34 pm

Th guy has been great. The writers has done a great job making me invested in Freeza as much as I'm invested in Goku and Gohan.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Asura wrote:I absolutely despise Freeza .
You despise Freeza in general, even when he first appeared in Namek? I always find it interesting people have hate for some of the most popular villains in the series. I understand if you don't like him continually returning, but in his original run he was great.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Well, that's how it is with villains in an alliance with heroes.

However, it's not like Frieza is becoming an anti-hero; he's still a scumbag with his own plans in mind and I can't wait to see where this goes with TWO Freeza's.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:14 pm

precita wrote:
Asura wrote:I absolutely despise Freeza .
You despise Freeza in general, even when he first appeared in Namek? I always find it interesting people have hate for some of the most popular villains in the series. I understand if you don't like him continually returning, but in his original run he was great.
Nah, of course his original run in Namek was great. Goku vs Freeza is my favorite fight in the entire series. But how the character was handled afterwards was mostly horrible. He was a good way to introduce Trunks, but him and King Cold were sort of a complete waste since they were one-shotted. Then we have the RoF movie and the RoF saga, both of which I think are horrible (although one is borderline unwatchable) and basically, the attempts to make Freeza relevant again for the sake of merchandise had completely destroyed the character for me. There's only so many times you can do the same shtick over and over again before it becomes old. Luckily they've at least made him and the events surrounding him interesting this time around.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Freeza's been handled so well this arc that I can't complain much about them bringing him back a third time.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Nope. He shouldn't be here. I'm so sick of him that no matter how they handle his inclusion I still hate him being here. And replacing Buu too? Inexcusable. Unacceptable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:26 pm

I've done a complete 180 on having Frieza return. There's always a type of cautious suspense whenever he's shown on screen now. I just never know when he'll turn on his teammates. He's such a wildcard because I don't know what he'll do next. I do enjoy unpredictability so I'm all for Frieza now
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:32 pm

precita wrote:I'm mostly curious what Freeza will do towards the end or after the tournament. There's some hints that he wants to overthrow Beerus.
I'm curious aswell, I know this is probably wishful fanboy wanking, but I think it would be kinda awesome if Freeza killed Beerus.
Then Zeno could appoint Freeza as new universe 7 God of Destruction. Mind you I'm 99.9% sure it most likey won't happen, as Beerus is another highly popular character.
Hell I LOVE Beerus, but Freeza atleast doing some sneak attack with some energy of destruction would be pretty neat imo.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm

There were a million and one ways they could have fucked this up. I mean, it was bad enough that Freeza returned, as I was really not looking forward to the prospect of him being brought back from the dead for another narrative spin centered around him. He jobbed out in humiliating fashion against Future Trunks and when he was officially brought back in Resurrection F, they royally botch that. So my tolerance was really being tested to the fucking extreme when I found out that Freeza was coming back once more. It didn't get any better when I found out he would be replacing Majin Boo on the team for what was the essentially the tournament to decide the fate of their universe. Especially with how much they were hyping Majin Boo up for the Tournament Of Power. It just felt like unnecessary swerve in the narrative for the sake of it.

So the fact that in his screentime so far they've managed to characterize Freeza so damn well and create such a unique dynamic relationship between himself, Goku Vegeta and the rest of the central cast, and by that virtue, raise the intrigue of how the tournament will unfold, speaks volumes for how well written he has been. Especially since Super's greatest flaw has been having consistent characterization. They took story trope (a villain/antagonist being brought back to life) that was really old hat, especially in the context of Dragon Ball, and manage to turn it into something exciting and fresh. That deserves a hell of a lot of praise. Especially for a show like Super which has unfortunate tendency to drop the ball in some narrative scenarios with lot of potential.

Freeza has been the star of the show since he came back for the Universal Survival arc.

I never ever thought I say that sentence.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:00 pm

I'll admit, I hated the idea of Frieza coming back again.

Narratively, having Frieza on your team is like handing Jason Vorhees a machette and then going to have teenage sex. You're going to get backstabbed. Hard. And it didn't even make sense, since there were a few other options around; put Buu in Whis' weird time vortex to speed up his hibernation, heck; have Yamcha(who'd at least agree to use team work) train for three days and he'd probably be as ready as Roshi or Tien are, or fetch Future Trunks once more from the other timeline. He's still part of Universe 7!

Outside of the in universe leap of logic, it seemed like a last ditch attempt to save the RoF arc from being irrelevant garbage to Super's over arching story. A desperate cashgrab, potentially too...

...but Frieza, in the few episodes he's been in thus far this arc, has easily eclipsed everyone else including Android 17's(pretty successful) series return, Master Roshi's(your mileage may vary) major battling return, Krillin getting his groove back and showcasing the importance of techniques and tactics, and even the return of Ultimate Gohan.

His interactions with Goku have been on point, he's still the same blood thirsty monster he was way back in the Namekian saga, and I am REALLY REALLY hoping they don't change him from that.

He's made Vegeta and Hit's rivalry with Goku look quite frankly lame and I honestly can't see how Jiren could possibly be a more interesting rival opponent than Frieza right now. Hell, I'm not even slightly interested in Goku fighting Jiren, but I'm hyped as hell to see what Frieza is going to do next. Two months ago I wouldn't believe I'd be saying such a thing, but here we are.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:06 pm

For me, this is the first time he's actually shined. In the Namek arc he was just powerful, Mecha-Frieza was a bit more entertaining and RoF did him no favours. Here? Fucking badass.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:Not true for a person though, once you let em know you burned their dress they will never look at you the same, even after you pour water on them to stop the fire..
Talk about ungrateful..
Damn it, Cindy! I told you, that dress was a sin against Fashion. I DID THE WORLD A FAVOUR! Let it go, Cindy, it's been five years!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017