Goku & Freeza's Five-Minute Battle!

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superstar
Banned

Goku & Freeza's Five-Minute Battle!

Post by superstar » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:05 am

Wow, I just got done reading the manga, Freeza and Goku fought at Super Speeds for a whole five minutes, and even after the fight Goku was fast enough to try and search around Namek for a way to escape.

How fast do you have to be to accomplish this?

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:10 am

Lightspeed :roll:
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:14 am

It probably wasn't really five minutes. Freeza estimated the amount of time...it could have simply been longer than what he estimated.

EDIT: And lol at BrollysKin's comment.

superstar
Banned

Post by superstar » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:22 am

Saiyan wrote:It probably wasn't really five minutes. Freeza estimated the amount of time...it could have simply been longer than what he estimated.
Uh... Freeza did not give an estimation and Goku confirms that five minutes is more than enough time.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/5/29/ ... zafive.gif

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhatTheDarn » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:38 am

The main theories seem to be that either Freeza meant five minutes "Namek Time" or that they were just fighting really, really fast. It seems to me that that fight lasting 5 minutes is believable in the manga, but they really should have changed it in the anime.
Last edited by WhatTheDarn on Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:21 am

I doubt Freeza uses Earth time. He hadn't even been there untill he arives on Earth when Trunks shows up.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:56 am

I'm thinking Furiza just guessed five minutes. Even if it was five minutes, it probably could have worked for the manga. They should have changed it for the anime.

IMO, considering how many episodes they were fighting, 5 hours would have worked perfectly... :roll:

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:13 am

A five hour long fight? Jeez, Holy shit! I'm sorry but that just wouldn't work Ahaha. The best theory would be that Frieza just made a quick estimate nothing more, he also stated that he 'held back' too much of his power when he blasted the planet's core. The quick estimate was obviously not accurate, and so the fight dragged on. End of story.

Drunken Master
Regular

Post by Drunken Master » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:04 am

BrollysKin wrote:Lightspeed :roll:
Ha ha, good one. Oh man, I loled.
AKA [b]Pope Blitzkrieg XVI[/b], [b]Mr. Shades-Internet McCool[/b]

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:35 am

five hour long fight
minutes dude. 5 minutes. :roll:
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:38 am

Maybe this is just one of those cases where Toriyama-sensei forgot something yet again. :lol:

8)
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:27 pm

Didn't Freeza make a comment in the anime about the planet lasting longer than he expected?

At least I remember something like that watching the dub and it didn't seem like something FUNi pulled out of their arses.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:40 pm

I've said it once, others said it in this thread, and I'll say it again. It made sense in the Manga, not even indulging in the idea of "super speed" fighting. Even so, Freeza does make a comment saying the planet has lasted longer than he expected, but should have no more than 2 or 3 minutes left (I believe this is when they start the final round of their battle, in which Goku finally takes the advantage and eventually quits due to Freeza burning out his Ki).

During the scene when Cell self-destructs, the anime changes the countdown to be much longer than the manga because they stretch it out a bit. This was probably the lesson they leanred from their mistake made with the Freeza vs. Goku fight.

It's an Anime flaw that should just be overlooked because it's still entertaining (well...maybe not those episodes with that animation of horrible...ugh....ness....).

And the idea that Freeza had a different standard of what a "minute" is...haha, that is just absurd. I don't need to explain why.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:03 pm

I'm willing to believe the theory that Freeza has a different concept of time than that of Earthlings.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:01 pm

Didn't Toriyama himself admit he made it 5 minutes so he could be a jerk?

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:29 pm

Majin Buu wrote:I'm willing to believe the theory that Freeza has a different concept of time than that of Earthlings.
If there is never any indication of such at all whatsoever in the series, what reason is there to believe it?
Caster Troy wrote:Didn't Toriyama himself admit he made it 5 minutes so he could be a jerk?
No. Toriyama-sensei didn't do things "just to be a jerk". Heck, the entire Chibi Boo arc happened solely because he let fans push him around. And he never had anything against the Anime or any negative will against it. He appreciated and respected Toei animation.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:24 am

Guys seriously, who cares? It took how long it took. Neither of them had internal clocks or something.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:28 am

Or, as I've said countless times over the years in various places and conversations where this comes up: Freeza BLUFFED Goku and failed. Problem solved, so called "plot hole" explained. 8)

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:10 pm

Akira wrote:Or, as I've said countless times over the years in various places and conversations where this comes up: Freeza BLUFFED Goku and failed. Problem solved, so called "plot hole" explained. 8)

*points*

I like this explanation. Quite frankly it makes the most sense. Saying that Freeza has a different concept of time doesn't make any sense. It's pretty much a universal thing anyway.
Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.

Son_GokouSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son_GokouSSJ4 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:36 pm

Akira wrote:Or, as I've said countless times over the years in various places and conversations where this comes up: Freeza BLUFFED Goku and failed. Problem solved, so called "plot hole" explained. 8)
It's obvious that it was a bluff...what was he supposed to say?!
'Come on you space monkey! We have at least 5 more hours for you to kick my ass any way you want!'
He was just trying to gain himself some time, because it's obvious that he knew deep inside, that he was no match for Goku.
But things didn't go like he had planned...and BOOM!
And about the 'different concept of time' thing...please...spare me!
ORA SONGOKOU DA!