Why don't we get any Christmas episodes in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Why don't we get any Christmas episodes in Dragon Ball?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:06 am

Merry Christmas eve, everyone. And since it's Christmas eve, I've always wondered to myself, why don't we ever get any Christmas episodes in Dragon Ball, especially in Super? You think, after the Future Trunks Arc, which ended in November, we would have a Christmas filler episode, where we see the characters settle down and, enjoy Christmas, but no, we get some stupid Hit filler arc that made no sense. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. But, still, what do you guys think? Do you think we should get a Christmas episode in Super? Why do you think we don't get those kind of episodes? Hope you have fantastic Christmas yourselves.
Caulifla best girl! :)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why don't we get any Christmas episodes in Dragon Ball?

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:38 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Merry Christmas eve, everyone. And since it's Christmas eve, I've always wondered to myself, why don't we ever get any Christmas episodes in Dragon Ball, especially in Super? You think, after the Future Trunks Arc, which ended in November, we would have a Christmas filler episode, where we see the characters settle down and, enjoy Christmas, but no, we get some stupid Hit filler arc that made no sense. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. But, still, what do you guys think? Do you think we should get a Christmas episode in Super? Why do you think we don't get those kind of episodes? Hope you have fantastic Christmas yourselves.
Perhaps it's because most of Japan is not Christian and thus not really celebrated.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:39 am

Our world's countries/religions/customs/holidays don't exist in the dragon ball world.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:48 pm

While Christmas doesn't exist in Dragon World (kind of like how no other real religions do, which is what Christmas is based on), it does make me wonder why Dragon World never has anything to celebrate. It could be anything -- King Day in honor of their king, Earth Day in honor of the anniversary that the aliens (Saiyans) didn't actually destroy the planet, Satan Day in honor of the anniversary of Mr. Satan defeating Cell, Spiritual Day in honor of that time where a voice spoke to everyone on Earth to lend their energy to defeat a monster whom they don't really recall but know existed.

While no real life holiday can be celebrated in Dragon Ball, there could still be a festive filler episode at least.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:59 pm

I would love it if the Christmas episode was replaced with a 'Satan Day' episode, but international parties would probably blanch at the idea. It's also important to remember that a lot of Japanese series go on break this time of the day, so that off-sets things, too.

Besides, the Christmas episode is more of a secluded western thing.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:02 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I would love it if the Christmas episode was replaced with a 'Satan Day' episode, but international parties would probably blanch at the idea. It's also important to remember that a lot of Japanese series go on break this time of the day, so that off-sets things, too.

Doesn't have to be Satan Day, could be World Peace Day lol

Also, I'm not suggesting that these episodes air during Christmas or even in the season, but it would be cool for them to expand Dragon World to acknowledge that they have holidays. And give it some weird tradition too.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:12 pm

sangofe wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Merry Christmas eve, everyone. And since it's Christmas eve, I've always wondered to myself, why don't we ever get any Christmas episodes in Dragon Ball, especially in Super? You think, after the Future Trunks Arc, which ended in November, we would have a Christmas filler episode, where we see the characters settle down and, enjoy Christmas, but no, we get some stupid Hit filler arc that made no sense. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. But, still, what do you guys think? Do you think we should get a Christmas episode in Super? Why do you think we don't get those kind of episodes? Hope you have fantastic Christmas yourselves.
Perhaps it's because most of Japan is not Christian and thus not really celebrated.
While true that Japan only has a teeny tiny Christian population, they do celebrate Christmas. Just, for the most part, without the religious ties. Its more about being with family and loved ones. They do exchange presents and even have Christmas trees. You can even see it in quite a few slice of life series.

But shounen series, like Dragon Ball, doesn't really fit that narrative. Or takes place in an alternate reality (like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, etc).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:34 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I would love it if the Christmas episode was replaced with a 'Satan Day' episode, but international parties would probably blanch at the idea. It's also important to remember that a lot of Japanese series go on break this time of the day, so that off-sets things, too.

Doesn't have to be Satan Day, could be World Peace Day lol

Also, I'm not suggesting that these episodes air during Christmas or even in the season, but it would be cool for them to expand Dragon World to acknowledge that they have holidays. And give it some weird tradition too.
'Satan Day' is funnier, though, and feels more like something Toriyama would do, since it's so poisonous.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:15 pm

I think Christmas themed episodes are more of an unofficial Western tradition than it is a Japanese custom.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:22 pm

Despite the Christmas artwork that pops up (DB and non-DB), it's not really a Japanese custom, it's more a commercial holiday.

That said, Merry Christmas everyone on Kanzenshuu!
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:48 pm

You mean Freeza day?, yeah i guess that we could (currently) get one of those.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Christianity exists in the Dragon World. When Puar and Upa fought Dracula Man, Upa took the shape of a crucifix to defeat him. In the anime, the words "Jesus Christ!" go across the screen when this happens.

And even then, in the US at least, the "Christian" aspect of Christmas is hardly ever the focus in my experience. It's an extremely commercialized thing here.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:20 pm

What do you guys mean, when you say "Oh, it's a commercialized thing" "It's not a Japanese custom"?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:25 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:What do you guys mean, when you say "Oh, it's a commercialized thing" "It's not a Japanese custom"?
Excuses that mean nothing. Tons of Anime series have gotten Christmas episodes, and that includes this year too.

We however have Tournament of Power now, so there's no place for it. They should have included one last year, but oh well. Maybe in 2018..?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Toei does Christmas episodes for Precure every year. It's obviously the commercial aspect, but they do it. Today's episode was this year's Christmas episode.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:51 pm

In Japan, Christmas is more romantic and lovey Dovey time for couples. So its anathema to Toriyama and Dragon Ball. Sorry.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:02 am

There's that fan fiction where Santa Claus shows up and it turns out he was a saiyan sent to Earth thousands of years ago, and now he wants to destroy the Dragon Team for being so naughty and almost getting the world destroyed.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:18 am

Zephyr wrote:Christianity exists in the Dragon World. When Puar and Upa fought Dracula Man, Upa took the shape of a crucifix to defeat him. In the anime, the words "Jesus Christ!" go across the screen when this happens.

And even then, in the US at least, the "Christian" aspect of Christmas is hardly ever the focus in my experience. It's an extremely commercialized thing here.
No, that's because one of Dracula's weak points is the crucifix. So to bring that up to say Christianity exists isn't really valid in my book. And the word Jesus obviously was for the comedy effect.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:42 am

I said the only non Oh, it's a commercialized thing" "It's not a Japanese custom" response. I demand an answer GUS!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:24 am

sangofe wrote:No, that's because one of Dracula's weak points is the crucifix. So to bring that up to say Christianity exists isn't really valid in my book. And the word Jesus obviously was for the comedy effect.
It's one of Dracula's weak points because it is sacred/holy/divine, because it is a Christian symbol. And if that can exist and work without Christianity, then Christmas can exist and be celebrated without Christianity.