AT liking Funimation's version?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

AT liking Funimation's version?

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:41 pm

I read somewhere people talking that AT actually likes the Funimation(like me) and they quoted this
''The american version (funimations Dragonball Z dub) is exactly how I imagined dragon ball in my head as I was writing it'' - Akria Toriyama interview from 2003
Thoughts? Do you think he liked it a lot or could care less.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: AT liking Funimation's version?

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:45 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I read somewhere people talking that AT actually likes the Funimation(like me) and they quoted this
''The american version (funimations Dragonball Z dub) is exactly how I imagined dragon ball in my head as I was writing it'' - Akria Toriyama interview from 2003
Is there an official link to the interview?

I pretty much thought that he likely has never seen it up until now. Not sure if he'd approve of the old Funimation dialogue.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:48 pm

I don't know I just seen someone post that from Facebook and I was like what? :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:51 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I read somewhere people talking that AT actually likes the Funimation(like me) and they quoted this
I dont know if I saw it on facebook but I vagely remeber somthing like this. I'm gonna look for it. If he approved some of the changes Id see him watching it since he was apperently strict about it (according to viz). I wonder if he liked falconers music?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 pm

Come on man. Even as a dub fan, that's clearly the fakest shit I've ever seen.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:02 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Come on man. Even as a dub fan, that's clearly the fakest shit I've ever seen.
I'm also a huge fan of the Japanese version as well but it just struck me as odd that someone would put interview from 2003 lol knowing that it could easily be disprovedd lol
#1 Paikuhan fan!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:09 am

Hopefully the 2003 article dates from April 1st.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:16 am

KBABZ wrote:Hopefully the 2003 article dates from April 1st.
LOL i've found no such article of what they're talking about lol
#1 Paikuhan fan!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:33 am

Its really bugging me because it sounds like I heard it before. I'm gonna go on wayback machine... maybe it was on one of the old sites

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:39 am

Remember Toriyama disliking TOEI's mere "expressive fillers" as exxagerated battle screams

Funi literally made DragonBall into one of those Marvel/DC superhero series ripping off the classic Journey to the West soul

High chances of AT's interview bein a farce

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:43 am

Back in ye olden days, there were fan sites that wrote fake interviews with AT. Why? I have no idea. But, I recall reading an entire "interview" where supposedly he said that Super Saiyan 3 Goku was the strongest character by the end of DBZ. I believe it was on Pojo, but I could be wrong. I was informed that the interview was a fake.

It doesn't make any sense that AT would credit the dub as the way he envisioned it. First of all, he has been quoted as saying that after he heard Nozawa's Goku performance, he since imagined her voice for the character when writing for him. So there's that. Then, there's the little matter that if Toei more or less used the dialog that he wrote in the manga and Funimation changed a lot of the dialog, it would contradict such a statement. I'm sorry, but that just sounds like a hilarious fabrication.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:48 am

I couldn't see that interview being legit, and I say this as a huge fan of the dub. If anything I think the fact Toriyama was unhappy with the way TOEI made Goku more of a superhero would make it highly unlikely for him to praise that being taken a step further, which, as we all know Funimation did in the old dub.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:40 am

This is not real and should not be given any mental real estate.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:19 am

VegettoEX wrote:This is not real and should not be given any mental real estate.
Considering that several people in this thread, myself included, seem to recall reading this quote / article some time back, I'd say you can't just dismiss it as "not being real". I'm not imagining things here.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 am

Dub fan here, too, but my brain's hurting from reading that. Probably some HARDCORE DEEBEEZEE fan trying to justify his point of view. Toriyama's most likely never heard the dub. He most likely barely even kept up with the Japanese version.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:55 am

MrTennek wrote:Considering that several people in this thread, myself included, seem to recall reading this quote / article some time back, I'd say you can't just dismiss it as "not being real". I'm not imagining things here.
The only time Toriyama "imagined in his head" was when talking about Nozawa as voice for Goku.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 am

MrTennek wrote:Considering that several people in this thread, myself included, seem to recall reading this quote / article some time back, I'd say you can't just dismiss it as "not being real". I'm not imagining things here.
Yeah, except you run into a couple of problems -- the first being that nobody can actually link to it, the second being that it's more of a "I could have sworn I read that!" instead of anyone actually remembering that they did, and the third, and most important one, being that there's a history of fake AT interviews that date back to the early 2000s. And whadd'ya know? That's when this dates back to, never to be stated again. Coincidence?

Other than that, it just seems preposterous. I swear to you, that I have an easier time believing the Funi exec when he claims that Toei said that their Blu-ray season footage looks "OMG the way it's truly meant to look as if the perfect version of the series came to life!" than I have of believing that those words ever came out of AT's mouth. I'd be completely shocked if he ever even saw it. And someone on here said that AT was strict with the series, so he could've seen it... Yeah, that's why he allowed his work to be shared with a company that he publicly criticized as changing the main character too much. He's not strict with anything. Toei created a whole series and over a dozen movies that didn't even ask so much as AT's opinion -- I think that AT being "strict" with the series pretty much gets taken off the table.

Anyway, it's fake. A fake quote written by some fan in the late 90s-early 00s, trying to counteract the backlash that the dub was getting. And if not, then surely somebody, somewhere could link to it, and have it be something other than some weird, obscure, sketchy site or message board.

Until then, you can't use "But others said they saw it somewhere once upon a time" as proof of its legitimacy.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:29 am

See also: "I know for a fact that Toriyama said he wanted to end it with Freeza. I can't put my finger on it right now, but it's definitely a thing he said."

(To be clear, this is not a thing that was ever said, and in fact, Toriyama's attitude was quite the contrary while actively working on that arc.)

At Kanzenshuu, we don't make sweeping generalizations about Toriyama interviews and quotes without the knowledge to back it up. We have internal lists documenting each and every public interview and resource available. It's slightly easier to make than you would otherwise think, if only because Toriyama is such a recluse and doesn't give much in the way of public statements that aren't heavily advertised and noted through Shueisha themselves.

Anyway, this is a thing that was never real and continues not to be real and there's really nothing to say about a thing that is not real.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 am

That's a non sequitur. The amount of people who read or heard it has no bearing on the veracity of the quote itself. It's false. If a lot of people read/heard it, then a lot of people read/heard a falsehood.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:39 pm

I think you should read this (don't worry - it's only four sentences):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berenstai ... _confusion

How would Toriyama even have been able to watch FUNi's DBZ? It's not like FUNi had his address to send them to him. And he doesn't know English... And why would he import them?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."