What if the ToP ends with a tie?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

levnekaethian

What if the ToP ends with a tie?

Post by levnekaethian » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:05 am

Is it possible that the ToP could end in a tie? Let's say Jiren takes it down to the wire with UI Goku (after eliminating Vegeta and No. 17), Goku runs out of stamina and is knocked out as the time limit elapses. Jiren believes he's won but he's forgotten about Frieza who has been hiding all along and the tournament ends in a tie. A tie would imply that the show would return in some form at some point - next year, next decade, whatever - I was just entertaining the idea of how insane it would be to have an end to the tournament but to leave the future of the show wide open with a possible wish from Frieza and Jiren coming. Xeno could just allow both universes to survive in a tie.

That all, of course, assumes there can be a tie and Xeno allows a tie.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What if the ToP ends with a tie?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:31 am

They wouldn’t leave anything on a cliffhanger like that

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:34 pm

A tie with the two universes remaining, or the "most impressive" winning would be the best scenario, at least for me. Anyway, i doubt that this will happen, and whatever happens will be rushed (as we already know from the spoilers of ep 128 and 129).

Also i don't think that they will leave an open end. I personally doubt that Dragon Ball will come anytime soon as an anime, and probably they will leave with the EoZ and the cliffhanger that has been eternal since then and leave it as it is.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:29 pm

I'm still asking why people hypotize endings different from EoZ, when Toyotaro confirmed months ago that we all know how Super will ends, connecting with Z ending

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 pm

MrBlackFox wrote:I'm still asking why people hypotize endings different from EoZ, when Toyotaro confirmed months ago that we all know how Super will ends, connecting with Z ending
With Pan going Super Saiyan 4 on her second birthday!

They're not called the "Terrible Twos" for nothing.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 pm

MrBlackFox wrote:I'm still asking why people hypotize endings different from EoZ, when Toyotaro confirmed months ago that we all know how Super will ends, connecting with Z ending
Really? Tell us where please
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:20 pm

prince212 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was an interview at Napoli Comiccon last year. He said "The goal is for Dragon Ball Super to reach the end of the Dragon Ball manga, which is the last episode that is 10 years after Buu’s death. The story goes where Dragon Ball ends, but you know, even Akira Toriyama did not know the end of Dragon Ball when he started, and we do not always think about where we want to go … "

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:33 am

End of Z will stay the same in all the major ways

Goku will leave with uub to train

Also just for general info pan vs Goten is anime filler and not in the manga

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:38 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
prince212 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was an interview at Napoli Comiccon last year. He said "The goal is for Dragon Ball Super to reach the end of the Dragon Ball manga, which is the last episode that is 10 years after Buu’s death. The story goes where Dragon Ball ends, but you know, even Akira Toriyama did not know the end of Dragon Ball when he started, and we do not always think about where we want to go … "
Thank you , yes I found that interview in Italian language and its translated close to that , like natural and coherent end as the original story
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

levnekaethian

Post by levnekaethian » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:16 am

Just because the ToP ends doesn't mean Super itself may be done forever. It may come back, it may not. So it may be ending (which would mean it would end up linking up to the final DBZ episode) or it may continue after a long hiatus.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:05 pm

It would be interesting to see Goku and Jiren stalemate... definitely.

But only one of them would get to make the wish... as it goes to whoever the Zenos see as the best warrior.

So it'll more than likely go to Goku because they'll think UI Goku is the "COOLEST!" :lol:
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:15 pm

If they continue the trend of Goku never winning a tournament, its likely he will be knocked out with Jiren. And given what we know

[spoiler]17 appears to be gone this week, or at the very least out of commission. Vegeta makes his leave in 128, with Goku reawakening UI and the insuing rematch[/spoiler]

Time will tell what shall happen

levnekaethian

Post by levnekaethian » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:05 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:If they continue the trend of Goku never winning a tournament, its likely he will be knocked out with Jiren. And given what we know

[spoiler]17 appears to be gone this week, or at the very least out of commission. Vegeta makes his leave in 128, with Goku reawakening UI and the insuing rematch[/spoiler]

Time will tell what shall happen
In addition to the other spoilers for 129... I think Super is over after this and something different might come next year.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:02 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:If they continue the trend of Goku never winning a tournament, its likely he will be knocked out with Jiren. And given what we know
Goku won the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament against Piccolo...

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:39 am

A few months back I also suggested the idea of a draw. It received a lukewarm responce, mostly stemming from the idea that Goku has been deprived of any weighty victories over main antagonists for too long and that he needs a solid victory under his belt against one. We hardly ever see fights that end decisively with a draw, though. Gohan vs Lavender and Yamcha vs Saibaman are the only two that I can of think off the top of my hand. Personally, I would appreciate it for its relative originality. Goku winning this fight comes across as being too expected, if you ask me, and for him to lose would only play to the stereotype that's developed since Super began. But a draw between Goku and Jiren doesn't necessarily mean the same as a draw for the entire tournament. If things were to end like that on a broader note then I guess both universes might be spared -- either both or neither surviving competitors could be given access to the Super Dragon Balls.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:22 am

shadowmaria wrote:

That's his only one out of how many tournaments?

He lost his first to Roshi
He lost his second to Tien
He won the 23rd (but I thought no one was around to witness since the battle destroyed pretty much everything)
He gave up his fight against Cell
Tied with Pikkon in Other World
Left the tournament and was disqualified during both the Buu Arc and EoZ with Uub
Gave up against Hit in the U6/U7 tournament
And even GT saw him pushed out of the ring when he was distracted

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:30 pm

MKCSTEALTH wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:

That's his only one out of how many tournaments?

He lost his first to Roshi
He lost his second to Tien
He won the 23rd (but I thought no one was around to witness since the battle destroyed pretty much everything)
He gave up his fight against Cell
Tied with Pikkon in Other World
Left the tournament and was disqualified during both the Buu Arc and EoZ with Uub
Gave up against Hit in the U6/U7 tournament
And even GT saw him pushed out of the ring when he was distracted
That was kind of the point though

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 pm

I actually think it's more likely it ends with a tie after Goku and Jiren fight for a long time, neither of them eliminate each other and time ends, letting them both survive. I don't honestly see Goku winning this time, I think it'll either be a tie or Jiren will win and have to wish everybody back. There was a spoiler I saw somewhere that Jiren will reveal his wish soon, but IDK if it's real or not.

After how they've built up how strong Jiren is, it would be kind of strange IMO for Goku to win. When Goku masters Ultra Instinct, I expect him to be about equal or slightly below Jiren's max power. It would be ridiculous to me if Goku just stomps Jiren after transforming, and honestly kind of disappointing. There are strong indications to me that they are starting to rush the ending though so it's possible they'll go the predictable route Goku will just transform and stomp.