Erasing or Spectating for Eliminated Universes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Erasing or Spectating for Eliminated Universes?

Post by KingKaash » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:04 pm

It's hit me a few times but after watching Episode 129 with Ultra Instinct it really hit me. Part of me wishes that all the other Universes weren't erased until the end so they could see the spectacle of Goku vs Jiren. I could imagine Champa freaking out at the sight of Ultra Instinct or Caulifla saying that she would be the next to achieve UI or Helles and Ribrianne commenting how beautiful UI is. Now I was a guy that complained about Ep 129 having to much audience talk but it'd be refreshing to see others than Krillin say some things. So having all 60 other fighters and their respective Kais and GoDs just being in complete awe would be pretty cool. To me, the bigger the crowd, the more hyped the fight is. A downfall of this would be drawing this many characters in the stands for the animators.

On the other hand, the erasing of the eliminated Universes brought some of the more touching scenes of the ToP and served to display how serious the penalty for losing is. Without the erasures happening right away, maybe the ToP would lack tension throughout.

So what would you prefer: Spectate & erase at the end or erase right after total elimination?
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Re: Erasing or Spectating for Eliminated Universes?

Post by ToshioWrites » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:21 pm

KingKaash wrote: On the other hand, the erasing of the eliminated Universes brought some of the more touching scenes of the ToP and served to display how serious the penalty for losing is. Without the erasures happening right away, maybe the ToP would lack tension throughout.

I mean we already know they are just gonna revive them with the SDB, its been brought up in show multiple times so I don't think this arc has had even fake tension However to your original point I would have loved to see the reactions from the universes that have now been erased. Mostly from the GoDs, Sidra freaking out at Goku's power at the exhibition matches was one of my fave parts of that whole thing and I can't imagine how he'd react to Goku and Jiren

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:40 pm

Their commentary is valuable, and so is their erasure, so I'd do a hybrid: have one or two stragglers from the universes remain on stage, and then as Goku vs Jiren progressed they'd get knocked out from the fallout. Having universes be erased as the backdrop of their fight sounds ideal in a lot of ways to me, in particular how it would help drive home the point of only the fight mattering.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:39 am

Simere wrote:Their commentary is valuable, and so is their erasure, so I'd do a hybrid: have one or two stragglers from the universes remain on stage, and then as Goku vs Jiren progressed they'd get knocked out from the fallout. Having universes be erased as the backdrop of their fight sounds ideal in a lot of ways to me, in particular how it would help drive home the point of only the fight mattering.
I think leaving beaten down fighters from other Universes in the corner (a la Frieza) would be a good way to keep everyone around and have them fall out as the arena breaks, so I like that idea. But my only question is how do you handle the Zenos doing their erasing while Goku and Jiren are having the fight of their life? Each of those are high impact moments that should be solely focused on in their own time.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:33 am

KingKaash wrote:
Simere wrote:Their commentary is valuable, and so is their erasure, so I'd do a hybrid: have one or two stragglers from the universes remain on stage, and then as Goku vs Jiren progressed they'd get knocked out from the fallout. Having universes be erased as the backdrop of their fight sounds ideal in a lot of ways to me, in particular how it would help drive home the point of only the fight mattering.
I think leaving beaten down fighters from other Universes in the corner (a la Frieza) would be a good way to keep everyone around and have them fall out as the arena breaks, so I like that idea. But my only question is how do you handle the Zenos doing their erasing while Goku and Jiren are having the fight of their life? Each of those are high impact moments that should be solely focused on in their own time.
Personally, I think only one extended, dramatic erasure is needed. U9's was good. After having seen that they'll be immediately erased upon defeat, I'd have it be just that: summary and unceremonious erasure. For drawing out the emotion I'd instead emphasize the brief shock right before they realize their impending doom, and the mounting helplessness and terror in those remaining, or whatever they may be feeling. I'm no director, but I think a lot of the useless commentary the fight has been having could be used for this purpose.

And through it all the focus should be kept on Goku; all of that turmoil and uncertainty in the periphery fading away into nothing as he loses and finds himself in the only thing that matters. Like I said, that seems to be the driving theme of this arc and I want to make that as clear as possible.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:38 am

Simere wrote:
KingKaash wrote:
Personally, I think only one extended, dramatic erasure is needed. U9's was good. After having seen that they'll be immediately erased upon defeat, I'd have it be just that: summary and unceremonious erasure. For drawing out the emotion I'd instead emphasize the brief shock right before they realize their impending doom, and the mounting helplessness and terror in those remaining, or whatever they may be feeling. I'm no director, but I think a lot of the useless commentary the fight has been having could be used for this purpose.

And through it all the focus should be kept on Goku; all of that turmoil and uncertainty in the periphery fading away into nothing as he loses and finds himself in the only thing that matters. Like I said, that seems to be the driving theme of this arc and I want to make that as clear as possible.
Ok that's what I thought. Yes a extended, dramatic erasure would be best. And I agree that the excessive commentary time could've been used better.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:53 am

There was a lot of good moments that were made with erasure, like Universe 10 and Gohan seeing the Obuni's locket of his family, it was one of the few emotional parts of the show for me.

Erase every universe except 6 because I miss seeing my boy Hit. 8)
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:40 am

Logania wrote:There was a lot of good moments that were made with erasure, like Universe 10 and Gohan seeing the Obuni's locket of his family, it was one of the few emotional parts of the show for me.

Erase every universe except 6 because I miss seeing my boy Hit. 8)
Don't worry, Hit is safe and sound in his pocket dimension. 17 is there too, so he's got company
Get Fucked, C_unt