I'm not watching the dub on Toonami anymore (my reasoning)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

I'm not watching the dub on Toonami anymore (my reasoning)

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:15 pm

This isn't one of "those" posts I despise where people criticize the dub for no good reason, or compare it to the past dub quality when it has far surpassed it at this point. I'm just saying this because I'm not the type who can wait each week for just ONE episode to air. In this day and age, I'd rather binge the whole thing or at least a home release 13-episodes of it, or something like that. When Cartoon Network and Nicktoons aired DB, they aired 2-4 episodes a week from what I remember, so it's ridiculous that we only get one now (in a day and age where that should be less of the norm when the dub has the benefit of having access to more episodes than the sub did). And that's not to say I don't appreciate the dub because I'm glad we have it and I should be thankful we have it at all.

I just miss the days when multiple episodes aired during the week on television instead of just once. It also feels like home releases come out slower now for some reason due to the digital age? And because of that, the dub takes longer to come out. Maybe, it's just me. Anyway, I'm just going to start waiting for the home releases. Unlike most fans, I haven't watched all of the sub (especially for the Goku Black and ToP Arc) so I want to experience the rest of it through the dub at my own pace, instead of submitting myself to Toonami's schedule. And since Super's ending in Japan, I can get my DB fill with the dub while waiting for the 2018 movie and potential new series. I'm only going to check out dub debut voices like Caulifla and Kale, but that's it.

Figured with the absence of a new DBS this week, I might as well post this. I'm ready for the "I don't care" and "This is pointless" replies.

EDIT: And I know Japan airs one episode a week also, but that's Japan. They HAVE to for production reasons, but we shouldn't have that same problem - especially when CN and Nicktoons worked around that due to Funimation's access of a wider variety of the Z/Kai episodes.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Re: I'm not watching the dub on Toonami anymore (my reasoning)

Post by MrTennek » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 pm

You're right, this is pretty pointless...The Japanese version also airs one episode per week (one episode per TWO weeks, as it is currently), so I don't understand the argument here?...

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:27 pm

MrTennek wrote:You're right, this is pretty pointless...The Japanese version also airs one episode per week (one episode per TWO weeks, as it is currently), so I don't understand the argument here?...
Yeah, that's the Japanese version though. When Cartoon Network aired Z originally, they aired 4 NEW episodes Monday-Thursday. Then, Nicktoons aired 2 NEW Kai episodes a week Wednesday-Thursday I believe. Sure, Z had already finished in Japan when Funimation started dubbing it, but Kai aired simultaneously with Japan's version on Nicktoons and STILL aired two episodes a week on Nicktoons. In fact, for the debut of Kai on Nicktoons: EIGHT EPISODES AIRED DURING THE FIRST WEEK!!! TWO NEW EPISODES EACH DAY FOR FOUR DAYS AND IT WAS GLORIOUS.

My greatest fear with Super being on Toonami is that we would lose the CN and Nicktoons practice and we have. Sure, it basically still airs on Cartoon Network, but it's not exactly airing there if you get what I mean and as a result, IT AIRS ONE DAY A WEEK, ONLY ON THAT ONE DAY. I hope Toonami can return to that multiple episode practice one day, but if not - I'm sticking to only buying the dub home releases and binging it on my own. My own personal preference, that's all.

EDIT: And when Kai aired on Nicktoons, it had only been ONE YEAR since it aired in Japan and it still managed EIGHT EPISODES and DOUBLE PREMIERES per week!!! Super airs one year and a HALF on Toonami after Japan and only manages this "once-a-week bs"? Yeah, I'm done with Toonami. Home release for the dub all the way.

thezander

Post by thezander » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Well they did do 2 episodes a day but from what I remember the separate timeslots played at different points in the series not continuous.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:27 pm

mecha3000 wrote:
MrTennek wrote:You're right, this is pretty pointless...The Japanese version also airs one episode per week (one episode per TWO weeks, as it is currently), so I don't understand the argument here?...
Yeah, that's the Japanese version though. When Cartoon Network aired Z originally, they aired 4 NEW episodes Monday-Thursday. Then, Nicktoons aired 2 NEW Kai episodes a week Wednesday-Thursday I believe. Sure, Z had already finished in Japan when Funimation started dubbing it, but Kai aired simultaneously with Japan's version on Nicktoons and STILL aired two episodes a week on Nicktoons. In fact, for the debut of Kai on Nicktoons: EIGHT EPISODES AIRED DURING THE FIRST WEEK!!! TWO NEW EPISODES EACH DAY FOR FOUR DAYS AND IT WAS GLORIOUS.

My greatest fear with Super being on Toonami is that we would lose the CN and Nicktoons practice and we have. Sure, it basically still airs on Cartoon Network, but it's not exactly airing there if you get what I mean and as a result, IT AIRS ONE DAY A WEEK, ONLY ON THAT ONE DAY. I hope Toonami can return to that multiple episode practice one day, but if not - I'm sticking to only buying the dub home releases and binging it on my own. My own personal preference, that's all.

EDIT: And when Kai aired on Nicktoons, it had only been ONE YEAR since it aired in Japan and it still managed EIGHT EPISODES and DOUBLE PREMIERES per week!!! Super airs one year and a HALF on Toonami after Japan and only manages this "once-a-week bs"? Yeah, I'm done with Toonami. Home release for the dub all the way.
4 "new"?

Not so much. By the time Funimation/Toonami got a hold of them, DBZ had since ended in Japan, and had been through a couple different Dubs in English already. And a lot of the 4 episodes, were repeats.

Honestly, kids these days have no patience. Now get off my lawn!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:28 am

Dub Premieres. Those are indeed new.

Also while I do understand you mecha. I'm sad it has come to this. I hope one day Toonami gets a weekday expansion. I really do.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:45 am

Same here, I haven't watched anything apart from small clips on youtube after the BOG arc. I'm used to watching entire arcs all at once so I'm just waiting for the home releases to watch the rest as I think I'll enjoy Super more watching it that way.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.