Which came first?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Which came first?

Post by Dayspring » Sun May 02, 2004 3:53 pm

I know Bardock anime came before manga chapter, but when were they released?
Also, same question applies to Trunks specials.

Thanks.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun May 02, 2004 6:02 pm

All i know is that the Trunks special was aired right before the cell games stareted

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Which came first?

Post by Adamant » Sun May 02, 2004 7:14 pm

Dayspring wrote:I know Bardock anime came before manga chapter, but when were they released?

Thanks.
The Bardock special aired at some point during the fight against the Ginyu Tokusentai, as far as I remember.
There was never a manga chapter, but Freeza did have a flashback to his battle with Bardock when he first saw Goku.

The Trunks special is at the end of vol. 33 (I think) of the manga. I believe that was when it was published.
As for the anime version, no idea. Some time later.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Which came first?

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun May 02, 2004 7:26 pm

Dayspring wrote:I know Bardock anime came before manga chapter, but when were they released?
The Bardock special aired on Wednesday, 17 October 1990, at 7:00 pm (it preempted the regular run of the TV show). The character Bardock, along with his team, was designed by Akira Toriyama with additional help from Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru. However, Bardock did not show up in the manga until the middle of volume 26 (whose chapters came from Weekly Jump 1990 #51 to 1991 #11). This would mean that Bardock made his manga debut in mid-February of 1991, four months after he appeared in the anime! So here, it was Toriyama who borrowed from the anime, and not vice-versa.

The situation for the Trunks special, however, is reversed. The special manga chapter, "TRUNKS THE STORY – Tatta Hitori no Senshi" ("Trunks, the Story: Lone Warrior") appeared in Weekly Jump 1992 #36/37, putting it in August of that year. However, the TV special didn't air until 24 February 1993, showing that this was a strict case of the anime expanding on the manga.

So... there you have it. 8)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun May 02, 2004 7:32 pm

Which exact episodes are those between?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun May 02, 2004 7:55 pm

Thanks Julian! (And to the others who answered me. My question wasn't clear. I wanted an answer like Julian's)
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun May 02, 2004 7:58 pm

But Julian, in the manga, doesnt Toriyama only show a pic of Bardock in a thought bubble when Freeza thought he recognized Goku? So really, Toriyama only borrowed the character design wich he probably contributed to anyway.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sun May 02, 2004 8:08 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:But Julian, in the manga, doesnt Toriyama only show a pic of Bardock in a thought bubble when Freeza thought he recognized Goku? So really, Toriyama only borrowed the character design wich he probably contributed to anyway.
I think he meant that Toriyama had designed the characters for the anime special before he did the manga mention. Like how Toriyama also did several GT designs.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun May 02, 2004 8:10 pm

PsyLiam wrote:Which exact episodes are those between?
The Bardock special aired between episodes 63 and 64 (although there was a two week hiatus between episode 63 and the Special). The Trunks special aired between episodes 175 and 176.

As for the Trunks special chapter, it appeared between chapters 386 and 387 (the first two chapters of Tankôbon #33).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun May 02, 2004 8:17 pm

As for the Trunks special chapter, it appeared between chapters 386 and 387 (the first two chapters of Tankôbon #33).
O_o
Odd that the french manga would alter that. In my version the Trunks Special was the dead last chapter of volume 33, right after Satan gets smacked by Cell. Then all of the Cell Games (Satan was just an intro battle!) takes place in 34, including the first chapter of SSJ2 Gohan as the last chapter.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun May 02, 2004 9:41 pm

Dayspring wrote:
O_o
Odd that the french manga would alter that. In my version the Trunks Special was the dead last chapter of volume 33, right after Satan gets smacked by Cell. Then all of the Cell Games (Satan was just an intro battle!) takes place in 34, including the first chapter of SSJ2 Gohan as the last chapter.
It was at the end of the Japanese volume 33, as well. Since it's a special chapter (and doesn't contribute to the linear story, which is all-important in shônen manga), they just threw it into the end of that volume. (Shôjo manga, by contrast, often have flashback sequences that interrupt the flow of the story; I may be overgeneralizing in saying this, but I have a feeling that girls are a little less impatient in getting "right to the action" than boys, and will thus tolerate a little more character development as a consequence.)

What's even more bizarre is that for the kanzenban, they waited until volume 34 to put it in, so that it's after the end of the series. Very weird. :?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun May 02, 2004 10:20 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
PsyLiam wrote:Which exact episodes are those between?
The Bardock special aired between episodes 63 and 64 (although there was a two week hiatus between episode 63 and the Special). The Trunks special aired between episodes 175 and 176.
Cool. And, er, which episodes are those again?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun May 02, 2004 10:42 pm

What's even more bizarre is that for the kanzenban, they waited until volume 34 to put it in, so that it's after the end of the series. Very weird
Indeed. I could understand were it originally was: build suspense for Cell games; I could understand putting it after Trunks kills his timeline's Cell: add a bonus chapter and fill up a 6-yr gap in the story. I could even understand before King Cold comes to earth: add a sense of linearity to Trunks' progression.

But after everything? Wierd. Very wierd.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun May 02, 2004 10:59 pm

Well, technically it dosen't happen until after everything else... so maybe that's why?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 03, 2004 12:25 am

Nope nope! It would take place BETWEEN end of Boo and 28th budoukai. Trunks is 13 or 4 at the beginning of the chapter.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon May 03, 2004 1:08 am

Dayspring wrote:Nope nope! It would take place BETWEEN end of Boo and 28th budoukai. Trunks is 13 or 4 at the beginning of the chapter.
Er... well if he was 4 it would have had to have been before Buu. :twisted: :P

Now, as for 13. Yeah, I guess you'd be right there... but you don't really expect them to interupt the chapter, do you?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 03, 2004 9:58 pm

Er... well if he was 4 it would have had to have been before Buu.
Ah shaddap. :P