Lost Edited English Dubbed Scenes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MazinOmniFan95

Lost Edited English Dubbed Scenes

Post by MazinOmniFan95 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:10 am

I’ve been on the hunt for years now looking high and low for the Dragon Ball Edited dub, looking on YouTube, Archive and ebay for clips from the old tapes. I am curious as to any one here know were I could find the edited scenes. I consider myself to be a historian for lost media and I have exhausted my resources to seek it. I know we as Dragon Ball fans out there always want to see the full episodes, chapters or films in their original Uncut form and some have called the Edited dub watered down from the original. But to me it’s the work that had to be put in to appease the American censors of the 90s - 00s; what they had to change, or add in. It’s interesting to me and it’s a point of nostalgia for some out there who wish to see it. The scenes I’ve been looking for are in the General Blue Saga, Fortuneteller Baba Saga, King Piccolo Saga and Fusion Saga. Also on the same topic I’ve also been looking for the edited Yu Yu Hakusho scenes as well especially from the Chapter Black Arc. Just wondering if anyone has any clips of these.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Lost Edited English Dubbed Scenes

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:37 am

MazinOmniFan95 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:10 am I’ve been on the hunt for years now looking high and low for the Dragon Ball Edited dub, looking on YouTube, Archive and ebay for clips from the old tapes. I am curious as to any one here know were I could find the edited scenes.
You could always try ebay for the edited vhs

and some have called the Edited dub watered down from the original.
To be fair, the uncut dub is watered down from the original.

But to me it’s the work that had to be put in to appease the American censors of the 90s - 00s; what they had to change, or add in..

The funny (Funi?) thing is quite often a number of things changed from the uncut dub to the edited dub weren’t even that necessary since it was already watered down

MazinOmniFan95

Post by MazinOmniFan95 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:43 pm

I have tried eBay multiple times and they either don't have the early Dragon Ball Tapes, only DBZ Tapes and if they do have them & it's a few hundred dollars, or have been outbid.

There were key scenes I'm looking for; Fortuneteller Baba Saga (the scene where Master Roshi hands Krillin a can of tomato soup, instead of what we've already saw in the uncut), King Piccolo Saga (scenes with Tambourine's hit list, Roshi vs King Piccolo), & from Yu Yu Hakusho - Chapter Black Arc (Yusuke vs. The Doctor, Kurama vs. Gourmet ~ the reveal of the Elder Toguro, & Yusuke vs. Sensui ~ the scenes with Kazuya).

With Dragon Ball Z & GT they could edit stuff and no-one would see the difference on first watch, the edited Dragon Ball Dub was handled like the airings of Dragon Ball Z Kai on Nicktoons, or the 4kids dubs of One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh!. Yu Yu Hakusho was especially part of these cuts.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:32 pm

MazinOmniFan95 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:43 pm I have tried eBay multiple times and they either don't have the early Dragon Ball Tapes, only DBZ Tapes and if they do have them & it's a few hundred dollars, or have been outbid.

There were key scenes I'm looking for; Fortuneteller Baba Saga (the scene where Master Roshi hands Krillin a can of tomato soup, instead of what we've already saw in the uncut), King Piccolo Saga (scenes with Tambourine's hit list, Roshi vs King Piccolo), & from Yu Yu Hakusho - Chapter Black Arc (Yusuke vs. The Doctor, Kurama vs. Gourmet ~ the reveal of the Elder Toguro, & Yusuke vs. Sensui ~ the scenes with Kazuya).

With Dragon Ball Z & GT they could edit stuff and no-one would see the difference on first watch, the edited Dragon Ball Dub was handled like the airings of Dragon Ball Z Kai on Nicktoons, or the 4kids dubs of One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh!. Yu Yu Hakusho was especially part of these cuts.
DB was handled quite well by Nicktoons and I DISAGREE that its equal to the 4kids One Piece dub. Heck even 4kids DBZ kai wasnt like 4kids One Piece!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:37 am The funny (Funi?) thing is quite often a number of things changed from the uncut dub to the edited dub weren’t even that necessary since it was already watered down
As MistareFusion/GafferTape pointed out, stuff like that was possibly done to try and give people who don’t care for the Japanese version more of an incentive to go out and buy the uncut DVDs.

FUNimation in general had a weird attitude regarding the kind of language they were willing to use in their Dragon Ball dubs. Their dub of YYH has every swear word short of an f-bomb in it, but then the older Dragon Ball dubs often have the characters saying things like “Darn you!” That makes their dub of Movie 7 pretty jarring, since it has #13 saying things like “I’m here to kill your ass!” At this point though, they basically treat Dragon Ball like a TV-14 property.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:40 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:25 pm

As MistareFusion/GafferTape pointed out, stuff like that was possibly done to try and give people who don’t care for the Japanese version more of an incentive to go out and buy the uncut DVDs.

Fans don’t need to care about the Japanese version to want to go out and buy something labeled “uncut” Chris Psaros theory that Funimation lightened up already tame dialog to make the tame uncut dub seem edgier by comparison makes the most sense to me. “That’s right we use the word butt and occasionally kill in uncut DBZ!!!!”
FUNimation in general had a weird attitude regarding the kind of language they were willing to use in their Dragon Ball dubs. Their dub of YYH has every swear word short of an f-bomb in it, but then the older Dragon Ball dubs often have the characters saying things like “Darn you!” That makes their dub of Movie 7 pretty jarring, since it has #13 saying things like “I’m here to kill your ass!” At this point though, they basically treat Dragon Ball like a TV-14 property.
Well yeah Funimation was never really consistent with this sort of thing. The edited season 3 Z dub uses the word God at least 3 times and then pretty much never again until Battle of Gods. They go out of their way to remove usage of the word hell in the UUE redub of Z movie 1 and 2 and carefully avoid uttering any mention of hell when Goku’s in the otherworld but then throw some hell and bastards by the Namek portion.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:37 am The funny (Funi?) thing is quite often a number of things changed from the uncut dub to the edited dub weren’t even that necessary since it was already watered down

It wasn't until the Ultimate Uncut redub IIRC that the writers even really started using curse words like damn, piss and so on in the scripts though that was done more selectively here and there to play up the "uncut" aspect and also due to airing on CN's late night schedule back in 2005 around or along with the Adult Swim stuff.

Kai's dub really amped it up a notch language wise, even having some more bastards in there though it appears that was as intense with the cursing as they could go. No F or S-bombs though!!!
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MazinOmniFan95

Post by MazinOmniFan95 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:43 pm

DB was handled quite well by Nicktoons and I DISAGREE that its equal to the 4kids One Piece dub. Heck even 4kids DBZ kai wasnt like 4kids One Piece!
[/quote]

Understandable that Nicktoons handled it better, but back when Kai was on Nicktoons I had vhs recorded all of them and even had frequented saved a cut comparison DBZKAI Nicktoons edit site. There were key scenes that Nicktoons just flat out refused to keep compared to the old Toonami version when FUNimation finally took over during the Ginyu Saga that aired around the same time 10 years prior, scenes I’m referring too are; (Krillin’s death by Frieza, Trunks slicing Frieza into several pieces, Dr. Gero and Android 19’s Terror on that island, Android 17 killing Dr, Gero, Imperfect Cell absorbing various human and Perfect Cell’s destruction) and Cartoon Network aired all these scenes with minor cuts, that why I compared it to the 4kids dubs.

All I’m trying to do is preserve and see the history of the cuts that were made, these edits were meticulously sometimes back then, I mean in Japan then and now they can air all these scenes in Dragon Ball without fear of being censored, but in American as it has always been it has to be watered down to make the Animated DC shows more violent and the thought that parents think anime is more violent than American Comics.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:02 pm

MazinOmniFan95 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:43 pmcompared to the old Toonami version when FUNimation finally took over. during the Ginyu Saga that aired around the same time 10 years prior,
Funimation was in charge from the very beginning back when they first started dubbing the original Dragon Ball with BLT in 95. They just had a more lax censorship body to answer to for season 3 of Z onwards.
scenes I’m referring too are; (Krillin’s death by Frieza,
Krillin’s death in the Toonami edit of Z and the Nicktoons edit of Kai are the same. His chest expanding is removed but otherwise they keep him exploding. The CW version edit changes it so he disappears into a puff of smoke
, I mean in Japan then and now they can air all these scenes in Dragon Ball without fear of being censored,
I mean Kai was censored from Z because standards have changed in Japan and some movie re-releases apparently removed characters flipping each other off so I’m not sure about that.

but in American as it has always been it has to be watered down to make the Animated DC shows more violent and the thought that parents think anime is more violent than American Comics.
That’s not it at all and that’s such a weird claim to make.

Hell, the Cartoon Network edit of DBZ and Sailor Moon S and SuperS got away with way more than Teen Titans from 2003.

MazinOmniFan95

Post by MazinOmniFan95 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:22 pm

“That’s not it at all and that’s such a weird claim to make.

Hell, the Cartoon Network edit of DBZ and Sailor Moon S and SuperS got away with way more than Teen Titans from 2003.
[/quote]

I didn’t explain more into but it’s really directed at the Batman Animated Series, Superman Animated Series, Batman Beyond and Justice League. Those shows were aired right next to DBZ bounce off to make it seem more violent and as we all know American moms complained that Pokémon and Dragon Ball were so violent and had no positive message but they let their kids watch The DC Shows that had same level of violence minus the blood, hell Their own show Powerpuff Girls got the wrath as well. I didn’t mean for this to get off-topic but to explain where I come from on this, just looking for the edits.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:33 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:40 pm

Fans don’t need to care about the Japanese version to want to go out and buy something labeled “uncut” Chris Psaros theory that Funimation lightened up already tame dialog to make the tame uncut dub seem edgier by comparison makes the most sense to me. “That’s right we use the word butt and occasionally kill in uncut DBZ!!!!”
Well yeah Funimation was never really consistent with this sort of thing. The edited season 3 Z dub uses the word God at least 3 times and then pretty much never again until Battle of Gods. They go out of their way to remove usage of the word hell in the UUE redub of Z movie 1 and 2 and carefully avoid uttering any mention of hell when Goku’s in the otherworld but then throw some hell and bastards by the Namek portion.
The word “hell” actually is used in the in-house dub of Movie 2.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:38 pm

MazinOmniFan95 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:22 pm

I didn’t explain more into but it’s really directed at the Batman Animated Series, Superman Animated Series, Batman Beyond and Justice League. Those shows were aired right next to DBZ bounce off to make it seem more violent and as we all know American moms complained that Pokémon and Dragon Ball were so violent and had no positive message but they let their kids watch The DC Shows that had same level of violence minus the blood, hell Their own show Powerpuff Girls got the wrath as well. I didn’t mean for this to get off-topic but to explain where I come from on this, just looking for the edits.
Again no you’re really really reaching

MazinOmniFan95

Post by MazinOmniFan95 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:18 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:38 pm
MazinOmniFan95 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:22 pm

Again no you’re really really reaching
But doesn’t hit some nostalgia to see those episodes like that and not think it wasn’t some fever dream and think about the times watching it. Reaching is one thing but on YouTube there’s DBZ fan called “Anime Moments Resurrected” whose channel has put clips from the Edited dub from the VHS tapes and Cartoon Network.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:37 pm

MazinOmniFan95 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:43 pm I have tried eBay multiple times and they either don't have the early Dragon Ball Tapes, only DBZ Tapes and if they do have them & it's a few hundred dollars, or have been outbid.

There were key scenes I'm looking for; Fortuneteller Baba Saga (the scene where Master Roshi hands Krillin a can of tomato soup, instead of what we've already saw in the uncut), King Piccolo Saga (scenes with Tambourine's hit list, Roshi vs King Piccolo)
As someone who has tried to collect all the tapes for years, I don't recall ever seeing any of the Baba tapes having edited versions. The "latest" one I ever recall seeing is one of the Commander Red tapes. I kind of leads me to believe that they may have stopped putting out edited versions by then since they stopped producing VHS tapes all together very soon after, with only the first tape of the (terribly named) "Tien Shinhan Saga" to come out. So trying to find anything during the Piccolo stuff is impossible as those don't exist.

Your only hope may be tracking down home recordings of the broadcasts, as people trying to sell their own recordings of TV shows on eBay does seem to be something that is becoming more frequent from what I've noticed.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:21 pm

Son Gara wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:37 pm

There were key scenes I'm looking for; Fortuneteller Baba Saga (the scene where Master Roshi hands Krillin a can of tomato soup, instead of what we've already saw in the uncut), King Piccolo Saga (scenes with Tambourine's hit list, Roshi vs King Piccolo)
As someone who has tried to collect all the tapes for years, I don't recall ever seeing any of the Baba tapes having edited versions. The "latest" one I ever recall seeing is one of the Commander Red tapes. I kind of leads me to believe that they may have stopped putting out edited versions by then since they stopped producing VHS tapes all together very soon after, with only the first tape of the (terribly named) "Tien Shinhan Saga" to come out. So trying to find anything during the Piccolo stuff is impossible as those don't exist.

Your only hope may be tracking down home recordings of the broadcasts, as people trying to sell their own recordings of TV shows on eBay does seem to be something that is becoming more frequent from what I've noticed.
AFAIK, i believe the video release of OG DB indeed completely stopped after the first Tien/22nd Budokai tape as FUNi basically were phasing out VHS releases of the franchise in favor of the concurrent DVD sets after a certain point. The edited Cell Games volumes in the Z collection only got a few releases (about four or so) in before that was abruptly stopped and never completed unlike the uncut set.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MazinOmniFan95

Post by MazinOmniFan95 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:24 pm

Son Gara wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:37 pm

Thank you for your help, much appreciated. I almost all the Dragon Ball tapes before Z for years and I have only one that is edited; “Red Ribbon Army - White’s Last Stand”. The edited tapes you mentioned about the Fortuneteller Baba saga ones being edited, I found them on eBay a few months ago “very shocked” some sold separately for over $300 and a set for close to $1000, and years ago when I got the old tapes primarily at f.y.e. and Suncoast the tapes that were edited had cost about $10 dollars more (I actually saw the edited Baba Tapes there and the spine showed Baba telling Goku’s fortune, showing the final dragon ball) and rarely on a good day you could find the edited tapes for cheap at Blockbuster Video or Toys R Us. I have also been looking for the recordings on eBay and always either get outbid, price is too high or they just don’t put the 2001 - 2005 broadcasts on there, (there’s a glut of 1995 - 1999 recordings or adult swim recordings without any anime).

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:32 pm

MazinOmniFan95 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:24 pm Thank you for your help, much appreciated. I almost all the Dragon Ball tapes before Z for years and I have only one that is edited; “Red Ribbon Army - White’s Last Stand”. The edited tapes you mentioned about the Fortuneteller Baba saga ones being edited, I found them on eBay a few months ago “very shocked” some sold separately for over $300 and a set for close to $1000, and years ago when I got the old tapes primarily at f.y.e. and Suncoast the tapes that were edited had cost about $10 dollars more (I actually saw the edited Baba Tapes there and the spine showed Baba telling Goku’s fortune, showing the final dragon ball) and rarely on a good day you could find the edited tapes for cheap at Blockbuster Video or Toys R Us. I have also been looking for the recordings on eBay and always either get outbid, price is too high or they just don’t put the 2001 - 2005 broadcasts on there, (there’s a glut of 1995 - 1999 recordings or adult swim recordings without any anime).
No problem. Now that you mention it I do remember seeing that spine art image somewhere before. If you have a Twitter I would suggest following people like FutureGohanSSJ2, Forgotten Dragon Ball, and Fumicom. They are way more knowledgeable than me when it comes to obscure DB releases and lost/rare media in general. Joining a VHS or retro anime group on Facebook or Reddit might be useful too. Other than that I would suggest keep hitting up thrift stores, garage sales, conventions, etc., as often as you can when you can (current pandemic situation aside).
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim