The potential of a GT Sequel

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

The potential of a GT Sequel

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:58 am

Would you like one to be made in the future ? How would you like it to be ? One thing they could do is have it set directly after Goku leaves with Shenron, and have it follow 3 different stories: Goku's story taking place wherever he went with Shenron, Vegeta's story set on earth and space, & Piccolo's story set in the afterlife and Demon realm. This way things will always remain fresh and the writers will be able to explore very different parts of the dragon world from different perspectives. Following GT's 100 year time skip everyone's assumed to be dead, so the writers can still do whatever they want without worrying about contradicting anything or being forced to play it safe. As long as Pan survives things will line up perfectly. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The potential of a GT Sequel

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:00 am

I mean... we did.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:37 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:58 am Would you like one to be made in the future ? How would you like it to be ? One thing they could do is have it set directly after Goku leaves with Shenron, and have it follow 3 different stories: Goku's story taking place wherever he went with Shenron, Vegeta's story set on earth and space, & Piccolo's story set in the afterlife and Demon realm. This way things will always remain fresh and the writers will be able to explore very different parts of the dragon world from different perspectives. Following GT's 100 year time skip everyone's assumed to be dead, so the writers can still do whatever they want without worrying about contradicting anything or being forced to play it safe. As long as Pan survives things will line up perfectly. :lol:
Search for:
Dragon Ball GT: A Hero's Legacy
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:25 am

A GT sequel is what they should have done in the first place, I would simply melt into tears of joy if tomorrow I find out they are actually making it. There's a lot of potential; I've been thinking ideas for a long time, and yours are amazing (I'm actually hyped just by reading them).

The new series could either feature the old cast in a new light or start fresh from a blank slate, as in a "soft reboot". Either way I see a lot of possibilities, so many options.

Unfortunately, there's one chance in a million that they will decide to make it. :cry: Damn, why did you give me hope? :evil:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:33 am

Kinda spoilers if you didn't already know:

We have an official manga continuation in the Dragon Ball GT world that wrapped up five years ago by the person who's currently in charge of producing the other official continuation of the story at the moment.

Learn more I guess...? Website guide page / podcast episode.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:07 am

anubisj wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:25 am A GT sequel is what they should have done in the first place, I would simply melt into tears of joy if tomorrow I find out they are actually making it. There's a lot of potential; I've been thinking ideas for a long time, and yours are amazing (I'm actually hyped just by reading them).

The new series could either feature the old cast in a new light or start fresh from a blank slate, as in a "soft reboot". Either way I see a lot of possibilities, so many options.

Unfortunately, there's one chance in a million that they will decide to make it. :cry: Damn, why did you give me hope? :evil:
Fans have suggested so many more interesting roads the franchise could've taken instead of what we're currently getting. The best thing about a GT sequel set before the 100 year time skip is the potential of using all these characters in vastly different situations than people are used to seeing. One of the issues fans have with modern DB is Goku taking all the spotlight for himself, and characters like Piccolo being pushed aside, but with how things were set up before the time skip, those are issues that won't be present.

I'm definitely going to check out the manga VegettoEX linked. :thumbup:

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:19 am

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:33 am Kinda spoilers if you didn't already know:

We have an official manga continuation in the Dragon Ball GT world that wrapped up five years ago by the person who's currently in charge of producing the other official continuation of the story at the moment.

Learn more I guess...? Website guide page / podcast episode.
Looks nice, but it is still Heroes, in the end, not a full-blown, anime/manga continuation series. But I didn't know about its existence, so thank you.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:51 am

anubisj wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:19 am Looks nice, but it is still Heroes, in the end, not a full-blown, anime/manga continuation series. But I didn't know about its existence, so thank you.
I mean, it is Heroes, but it's also repurposed (probably solely on Toyotaro's whims?) as a full-blown, straight-up, sadly unfinished after-GT series, making good on a post-Goku, post-Dragon Balls world in which ordinary people have to find ways to be DB-style heroes. (Hey, that's the title!)

I think it kind of had the perfect way into a GT follow-up that is also respectful of GT's ending, and would love to see it revisited some day, even if the window to leverage a promotional series for that purpose has kind of passed. They're probably never going to greenlight Victory Misson: the passion project if it can't also be Victory Mission: the promotional vehicle at the same time.

But anyway, yes. There is one official post-GT manga, in a kind of stealth-sequel way. (If I recall correctly, the "revelation" of its continuity occurs in Chapter 9 or 10.)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:47 am

I used to imagine a GT sequel being a story that focuses on Goku Jr.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:06 am

Given the finality of GT’s ending I don’t really see a point of a sequel.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:06 am Given the finality of GT’s ending I don’t really see a point of a sequel.
Now that's the biggest problem. Seeing a sequel would be cool, with Pan getting SSJ, Vegeta mastering SSJ4 and having another opportunity to use it, it all sounds so good, but it would ruin such good ending as well. Entire Shadow Dragons arc plot being the final arc is one thing, but Goku leaving with Shenron and taking away dragon balls for 100 years is what we consider a definitive ending. I liked what Toyotaro, still known as Toyble, did in his AF fanmanga, with Goku hanging out with shadow dragons in their realm, it was sweet, but even such idea of Goku only watching over everything from another realm takes away entire mystery of GT's ending.

Perhaps they could release one movie after GT and come with similar thing they did in second Broly movie or Bojack movie where Goku's ghost appears for a short moment at the final fight to aid his friends. But a full sequel without Goku wouldn't work. DB can't work without Goku. Imagine already not-so-well received Buu Saga if Goku never appeared in it. It's just not the same thing. And while i liked Goku Jr. a lot, i don't think people would want a full series about him, even if he looked like Goku and had his name - that's still a different character.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:16 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:06 pmIt would ruin such good ending as well. Entire Shadow Dragons arc plot being the final arc is one thing, but Goku leaving with Shenron and taking away dragon balls for 100 years is what we consider a definitive ending.

A full sequel without Goku wouldn't work. DB can't work without Goku.
This is definitely a hard point to argue against.

Goku would be in it, he'd just be having adventures separate from those taking place on earth, just as Piccolo would have his own in the afterlife and demon realm.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:53 pm

Cipher wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:51 am
anubisj wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:19 am Looks nice, but it is still Heroes, in the end, not a full-blown, anime/manga continuation series. But I didn't know about its existence, so thank you.
I mean, it is Heroes, but it's also repurposed (probably solely on Toyotaro's whims?) as a full-blown, straight-up, sadly unfinished after-GT series, making good on a post-Goku, post-Dragon Balls world in which ordinary people have to find ways to be DB-style heroes. (Hey, that's the title!)

I think it kind of had the perfect way into a GT follow-up that is also respectful of GT's ending, and would love to see it revisited some day, even if the window to leverage a promotional series for that purpose has kind of passed. They're probably never going to greenlight Victory Misson: the passion project if it can't also be Victory Mission: the promotional vehicle at the same time.

But anyway, yes. There is one official post-GT manga, in a kind of stealth-sequel way. (If I recall correctly, the "revelation" of its continuity occurs in Chapter 9 or 10.)
Well, yeah, it is certainly a sequel...

But (big but here), as you say, it is a repurposed sequel, not promoted, as far as I know, as the GT sequel.

I like Heroes, but only as a concept/design provider, not interested in a GT sequel based on the Heroes premise of getting every character that has existed or can potentially exist together in a sort of virtual world. I would love a GT anime/manga continuation taken seriously, though.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:29 pm

If GT did had a sequel, it would have happen a long time ago. It would probably have Goku Jr, Vegeta Jr, and Pakku as the main characters with Goku as the supporting role. GT does have a bad stigma attach to it, so a sequel will likely never happen. I feel like Toei having Toriyama remaking GT is more likely because they will find a way to still use SSj4 somehow.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:38 pm

I enjoyed Toyble's AF, although I never got to read the end of it.

I would like to see AF tweaked a little bit (Xicor looks awful to me and his backstory never sat well with me either), buuuut SS5 oh no, OH NO. If the prize is the introduction of SS5 (specially THAT SS5), then I'm happy visiting GT's grave every now and then.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:59 pm

Aside from Heroes, there is also Xenoverse, which takes place chronologically after the events of GT and takes them as part of its continuity. However, much like Heroes, the diegesis takes place in isolated locations of the past, rather than presenting a fully realized post-GT world.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Eh, I'd rather more Super content, or a Galactic Patrol spin off, but I'd watch a GT sequel if they made one other than Heroes. They could do some interesting things with Goku Jr.

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:00 am

I would rather have a GT remake than a Sequel

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:08 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:58 am Would you like one to be made in the future ? How would you like it to be ? One thing they could do is have it set directly after Goku leaves with Shenron, and have it follow 3 different stories: Goku's story taking place wherever he went with Shenron, Vegeta's story set on earth and space, & Piccolo's story set in the afterlife and Demon realm. This way things will always remain fresh and the writers will be able to explore very different parts of the dragon world from different perspectives. Following GT's 100 year time skip everyone's assumed to be dead, so the writers can still do whatever they want without worrying about contradicting anything or being forced to play it safe. As long as Pan survives things will line up perfectly. :lol:
Yeah that 100 year time skip can serve as a perfect point to start a fresh new story. However, beyond whatever you think of GT, it's impossible to say that the name alone does not carries a bad reputation, like a mark of shame. Seeing how GT is still the black-sheep of the franchise, no-one would want to touch a DB project with any GT association with a 10 foot pole in all likelyhood.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:18 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:08 am Seeing how GT is still the black-sheep of the franchise, no-one would want to touch a DB project with any GT association with a 10 foot pole in all likelyhood.
Tell that to Heroes, Ssj4 is basically the face of that game.