The "revival" of Dragon Ball has been going on since 2013, when will it end?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

The "revival" of Dragon Ball has been going on since 2013, when will it end?

Post by precita » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:13 am

The Battle of Gods movie in 2013 is generally agreed upon to be the revival of modern Dragon Ball (even though we had Kai and the 2008 special before that), and it introduced Beerus and Whis to Dragon Ball lore and became major characters in all arcs going forward.

It's hard to believe, but in another 2 years it'll have officially been a decade since the "revival" era of Dragon Ball. Although we've been on a hiatus for awhile, the manga has still been going and we're getting a new movie. How much longer do you see the revival going on before it comes to a conclusion again?

Now obviously toys, merch, videogames, etc will go on forever. But just like between 1997-2012 we had barely any "new" content besides one-off specials, do you think the revival will come to an end?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: The "revival" of Dragon Ball has been going on since 2013, when will it end?

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:57 am

Never. Media mix for Dragon Ball is much better now than it was in the late 1990s.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: The "revival" of Dragon Ball has been going on since 2013, when will it end?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:15 am

I don't see it slowing down anytime soon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:16 am

I firmly believe stuff should end. Dragon Ball was 444 goddamn episodes. We've had quite enough of the damn thing.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:23 am

Are we really still in a revival era? Until just recently we haven’t had any new content coming since 2018. I guess the Super manga has been ongoing but I feel that’s pretty niche

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:35 am

I still think it'll end once it reaches EoZ. DBS is already one of the longest running manga on V-Jump which mostly consists of shorter spin-offs than the series they were based on. The DBS manga is four years away from being published as long as the original so Granolah or the following arc could be the last. We won't know until it's announced or maybe the spineart gives us a hint. There's still a mysterious yellow line that some believed might be Uub riding Nimbus.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:49 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:23 am Are we really still in a revival era? Until just recently we haven’t had any new content coming since 2018. I guess the Super manga has been ongoing but I feel that’s pretty niche
We also have Super Dragon Ball Heroes, which has an ongoing promotional anime, manga, and videogame, and is one of the most popular arcade videogames in Japan (so it's very profitable). Even though it's not canon as it wasn't written by Toriyama, it is still a source of entertainment.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:15 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:23 am Are we really still in a revival era? Until just recently we haven’t had any new content coming since 2018. I guess the Super manga has been ongoing but I feel that’s pretty niche
I mean...yeah? Despite the anime taking a break, Dragon Ball popularity and merch/game sales are still at their highest figures. It's just that the hype from 2013-2017 are no longer present.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:31 am

I'm hoping for "canon" definitive ending soon. The "main story" and it's characters suffered enough after Battle of Gods with okay stuff here and there. Dragon Ball should end and be left alone and never touched again by Toriyama (when he retires again, fandom most likely won't accept Toyotarou as the "canon" maker). DBS probably will be dragged till EoZ. I don't think they will ever go beyond original manga. They are overstuffing and milking this 10 year gap af, so eventually they are going to run out of time and place.

I'm open to spin-offs and "non-canon" material though. It could be really good and even when bad, still would be harmless because "non-canon"...
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:36 am

Probably not anytime soon. It's a different world now than in the late 90s with a much greater demand for instant gratification like what we've seen from other major franchises like Star Wars and the MCU, which despite taking some brief breaks still have plenty more in the pipeline and no end in sight. I believe once the anime is back it will have plenty to adapt with all the recent manga arcs.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:54 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:16 am I firmly believe stuff should end. Dragon Ball was 444 goddamn episodes. We've had quite enough of the damn thing.
Dragon Ball has an end. All the modern stuff is appeasing those who want more but those who don't can just enjoy the original series.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:00 pm

Until they say Super is over for good, (no manga, no new movies), it's still going on.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:25 pm

It's not going to end - Toei/Shueisha won't allow it. As long as it continues to make money they will force it to continue with a designated chosen successor to Toriyama or just continue to churn out weird spin-offs like Super DB Heroes.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:28 pm

Trouser wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:31 am I'm hoping for "canon" definitive ending soon. The "main story" and it's characters suffered enough after Battle of Gods with okay stuff here and there. Dragon Ball should end and be left alone and never touched again by Toriyama (when he retires again, fandom most likely won't accept Toyotarou as the "canon" maker). DBS probably will be dragged till EoZ. I don't think they will ever go beyond original manga. They are overstuffing and milking this 10 year gap af, so eventually they are going to run out of time and place.

I'm open to spin-offs and "non-canon" material though. It could be really good and even when bad, still would be harmless because "non-canon"...
I think that's most likely what's going to happen once Toriyama retires. Even now anything that's not in the "main continuity" involving Toriyama has been a relatively short spinoff like the Yamcha manga, SD, and Heroes. There could be more spinoffs like a short manga on V-Jump or promotional special/anime every few years but I don't see another major movie or full length anime without Toriyama or that they'll be successful without him. We're in the "hospice years" of DB like VegettoEX said.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:46 pm

That's actually why I hope Super gets a good conclusion, without Toriyama stuff will just go in GT, Heroes, the old movies, etc. territory with plotlines spiraling out of control and uninteresting villains/power ups.

Some might say we've already gotten there with Super, but I just want ONE arc set in EOZ with Trunks/Goten as adults and Oob and after that arc...the series can end again. Toriyama can retire when he's 70.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:04 pm

precita wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:46 pmwithout Toriyama stuff will just go in GT, Heroes, the old movies, etc. territory with plotlines spiraling out of control and uninteresting villains/power ups.
precita wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:46 pmwe've already gotten there with Super
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:20 pm

It will "end" whenever they release a big DB product that massively underperforms to the point of putting the franchise of rest, which is very unlikely.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:43 pm

The "revival era" is just a portion of Modern Dragon Ball. Modern Dragon Ball started several years before the "revival", though the exact number of years varies based on how you look at it (in terms of animation, Yo! Son Goku and Kai were released in 2008 and 2009, while in terms of video games, Budokai 1 was released in 2002 and broke a 5-year dry streak that started after Final Bout), and it will continue for several years after the "revival", too. The "revival" itself will probably end with Super eventually ending, I think, but other content will still continue to come out after that, like how a bonfire is still hot for a good while after the flames go out.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:39 pm

From roughly the end of 1997-2008 there was no new Dragonball material. Videogames/toys, etc are a different thing.

2008 we got just 1 special, but for the most part that was it. It was a one and done thing 10 years later. Then we got Kai, but even then it was still just DBZ spliced together. If it had all new animation like Sailor Moon Crystal then it'd be a different story, but it was just a "directors cut" of old episodes.

The revival started with Movie 14, which led to Movie 15 around 2 years later, then Super a few months after.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:54 pm

And don't forget, Hatchiyack OVA was remade in 2010. Doubt everyone even knew the original one existed, so that was a new thing for a lot of people. And then came 2011's Episode of Bardock. It would take two years for the next two materials.

So yeah, the revival technically got started in 2008 for the hardcore fans that closely follow this franchise. The revival only starts in 2013 for the general people, with a movie releasing worldwide. And since Internet was more available at that time, people probably knew about "Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman" too (which, if I'm not wrong, was also released in some countries).

2009 saw the release of Tarble OVA in manga format, so it was not totally a blank year. Also, in 2014 the world would greet Goku's mother, for better or worse... (certainly for the worse).
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~