Storing Shonen Jumps

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Storing Shonen Jumps

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:53 pm

Figured I'd start a thread for those who collect Shonen Jumps. It always perplexed me how to keep them safe (given their age). I bought some Vinyl sleeve bag/protectors and realized I can use them as a sort of Comic protector sleeve.

It worked out great!

How do you protect/display your jumps? I figure a Windowbox frame could also be a sweet way of protecting/displaying your Jumps

coola
I Live Here

Re: Storing Shonen Jumps

Post by coola » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:23 am

Each Shonen Jump have like 400 pages, right? I would love to see pictures with every Jump, that had DB chapters :o
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:02 am

These will still deteriorate. I have some from the 1980s in fair to good shape. Others have had the glue in the binding deteriorate causing the issue to literally fall apart. I had stored hundreds in my garage because I ran out of space in the house. That was a bad move as the paper absorbed the water content from the air and destroyed them. Still, even without going to extraordinary lengths, I have a few issues left. For more expensive paper goods like the many anime mags I collected starting from 1980 or so, most are still in good condition but many are having the bindings come apart as the glue aged and cracked. Other than sealing them in plastic and using a vacuum sealer, there probably isn't any real way of preserving them indefinitely...

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:16 pm

dougo13 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:02 am These will still deteriorate. I have some from the 1980s in fair to good shape. Others have had the glue in the binding deteriorate causing the issue to literally fall apart. I had stored hundreds in my garage because I ran out of space in the house. That was a bad move as the paper absorbed the water content from the air and destroyed them. Still, even without going to extraordinary lengths, I have a few issues left. For more expensive paper goods like the many anime mags I collected starting from 1980 or so, most are still in good condition but many are having the bindings come apart as the glue aged and cracked. Other than sealing them in plastic and using a vacuum sealer, there probably isn't any real way of preserving them indefinitely...

You're right 100%. I had one jump (the start of Goku and Vegeta's fight) get recked due to my house flooding which is one reason why I wanted to bag these. I have a 30's pulp magazine that is slowly falling apart even in a case.
coola wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:23 am Each Shonen Jump have like 400 pages, right? I would love to see pictures with every Jump, that had DB chapters :o
I was scanning covers at one point
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14517016@ ... 6364928260

but I stopped getting these when the Omnibuses came out (they're not 100% but close enough)