Dragon Ball and Fashion (Clothing, Accessories, etc.)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Dragon Ball and Fashion (Clothing, Accessories, etc.)

Post by MetaMoss » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:00 am

I've had a mind to make a thread about this for a couple of years now, ever since my girlfriend sent me a picture of a DBZ crop-top being sold at a Forever 21. That got me reflecting on how many different pieces of clothing and clothing-adjacent items with Dragon Ball characters on them I've owned and worn over the years. So yeah, how about a catch-all thread about all the ways a fan can express their love for this series with stuff they wear?

I've got so many stories I could tell about the stuff I've seen or owned myself, but I don't want to overload a first post with all of them. So here's one to start:

The last, say, ten years, I think every single visit I made to a shopping mall has involved me seeing some piece of Dragon Ball merch, at the very least a T-Shirt. Earlier on, Hot Topic and Spencer's were the places to go if you needed a Goku shirt, but now its seems like half of any mall I go to stocks Dragon Ball stuff. There's the fast-fashion places like the aforementioned Forever 21, the skater shops like Zumiez, and the traditional department stores like JCPenney, all with something Dragon Ball to find within. Not to mention those t-shirt screen printing stands, one of which is where I found this gem:

My favorite instance of "peak Dragon Ball" at the shopping mall I've witnessed was when I visiting my hometown's mall over these last winter holidays. I step in to a sneakerhead shop, where they sell shrink-wrapped Nikes and the like, and in the back they have a muted TV playing the Ninja Murasaki fight with subtitles. Wasn't expecting some pre-Z love in a place like that, but I was all for it.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball and Fashion (Clothing, Accessories, etc.)

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:38 pm

I don't own any clothing with Dragon Ball branding, symbols or imagery.

However, the clothes I wear at work are a deliberate nod to Goku Black, in that I wear a grey jacket, a black waistcoat, and a red sash across the waist - it's probably the most overtly 'Dragon Ball'-ish thing about my normal day-to-day life.

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:01 pm

Oh I thought this thread was gonna be about stuff like Bulma's various outfits in the series. A lot of those are really cute!

I remember owning some bootleg shirts as a kid back in the Saban Dub days. This was before DBZ merch was everywhere, so I was excited to find something.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:47 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:01 pm Oh I thought this thread was gonna be about stuff like Bulma's various outfits in the series. A lot of those are really cute!
Hey, if you want to talk Bulma outfits here, don't let me stop you. My favorite is her Namek look, especially the vest.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:26 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:38 pm However, the clothes I wear at work are a deliberate nod to Goku Black, in that I wear a grey jacket, a black waistcoat, and a red sash across the waist - it's probably the most overtly 'Dragon Ball'-ish thing about my normal day-to-day life.
Do you wear a waist-sash frequently or do you only do it with that ensemble?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:47 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:26 am
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:38 pm However, the clothes I wear at work are a deliberate nod to Goku Black, in that I wear a grey jacket, a black waistcoat, and a red sash across the waist - it's probably the most overtly 'Dragon Ball'-ish thing about my normal day-to-day life.
Do you wear a waist-sash frequently or do you only do it with that ensemble?
Only with that ensemble; but considering that that means 14 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, "frequently" also fits as a description :lol: Despite the fact that it's objectively a ridiculous personal quirk, it's surprisingly practical in some ways - warm in winter, and it works as an extra pocket.

I also own a blue sash, but figure it doesn't go with grey - I used to own a purple jacket before I wore it to death, so maybe I'll look into that again one day and make a nod to Piccolo (I won't be doing orange; I'm not Victory Uchida).

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:43 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:47 am I also own a blue sash, but figure it doesn't go with grey - I used to own a purple jacket before I wore it to death, so maybe I'll look into that again one day and make a nod to Piccolo (I won't be doing orange; I'm not Victory Uchida).
With a red and a blue one, you can then ask yourself, "Is this a manga Piccolo day or an anime Piccolo day?" :lol:

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:30 pm

I've got too many other stories to share to let this thread simply fade away, so how about my most recent ones:

Throughout my entire life, I think there's been scant few times where I didn't have a DB t-shirt somewhere in my wardrobe. The most recent lapse in me having a DB shirt available ended several months back when I picked up a shirt with this design from my local Kohl's:
I tend to wear a lot of t-shirts with my interests printed on them, but my DB ones always seem to get the most comments and enthusiasm from strangers when I'm out and about. Just this past week, I had this exchange while wearing this shirt:
Stranger: Is that a Dragon Ball Z shirt?
Me: Yes it is!
Stranger: Fuck yeah!

My current living situation places me near a Japanese grocery/general goods/book store, which means I've got a great place to look out for Dragon Ball-related merch that I won't find elsewhere. Last time I visited, I came across this:
While this thing falls more in the category of cosmetics, it is something you wear on your face, so...
Besides, just look at it.
Absolutely horrifying. I love it. How can I not share it? :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:25 am

MetaMoss wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:30 pm I've got too many other stories to share to let this thread simply fade away, so how about my most recent ones:

Throughout my entire life, I think there's been scant few times where I didn't have a DB t-shirt somewhere in my wardrobe. The most recent lapse in me having a DB shirt available ended several months back when I picked up a shirt with this design from my local Kohl's:
I tend to wear a lot of t-shirts with my interests printed on them, but my DB ones always seem to get the most comments and enthusiasm from strangers when I'm out and about. Just this past week, I had this exchange while wearing this shirt:
Stranger: Is that a Dragon Ball Z shirt?
Me: Yes it is!
Stranger: Fuck yeah!

My current living situation places me near a Japanese grocery/general goods/book store, which means I've got a great place to look out for Dragon Ball-related merch that I won't find elsewhere. Last time I visited, I came across this:
While this thing falls more in the category of cosmetics, it is something you wear on your face, so...
Besides, just look at it.
Absolutely horrifying. I love it. How can I not share it? :lol:
Total shot in the dark but you wouldn't happen to be in New York City would you?

Then again if this were the place I'm thinking of you'd be far more likely to comment on the giant Goku model in the storefront lmao.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:12 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:25 am
Total shot in the dark but you wouldn't happen to be in New York City would you?

Then again if this were the place I'm thinking of you'd be far more likely to comment on the giant Goku model in the storefront lmao.
Nope, I'm clear off in the other side of the country, near Portland. I'm eventually planning on visiting NYC, so I'd appreciate knowing where that Goku model is, though :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:23 am

MetaMoss wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:12 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:25 am

Nope, I'm clear off in the other side of the country, near Portland. I'm eventually planning on visiting NYC, so I'd appreciate knowing where that Goku model is, though :lol:
Ebisu Life Store, it's in Manhattan
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:28 am

I haven't worn DBZ clothing since the day the 90s ended, exactly in december the 31st of 1999, but... a few years ago I was sporting Black's Potara a friend of mine brought me from Japan. Wonder where I left it...

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:37 pm

I don't own too many Dragon Ball fashionable. I do own a killer Vegeta motivational t-shirt.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Snakus

Post by Snakus » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:00 am

hello guys,
If someone could help me it would be really great, I'm currently in France and I can't find a serious site that sells DBZ covers
Do you know of any sites that sell DBZ covers?

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Asin » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:32 pm

Snakus wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:00 am hello guys,
If someone could help me it would be really great, I'm currently in France and I can't find a serious site that sells DBZ covers
Do you know of any sites that sell DBZ covers?
Well, what sorts of covers? Like blankets? Because if so, I'm not sure if this is the right thread, dude. ^^;