Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 110 - GT 41, TV Special, 42-43

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 110 - GT 41, TV Special, 42-43

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:11 pm

Hello, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, and welcome to week 110 of the first Dragon Ball rewatch of the decade.

It's interesting how the Black Star and Baby arcs felt like a brave new start for Dragon Ball, then the breather tournament episode is a sort of "business as usual" reprieve, then everything after that feels like an epilogue to Dragon Ball as a whole. It's been said before that Toei knew they were making the final 24 episodes of Dragon Ball, and I think it shows.
People give the Super 17 arc shit for being fanservicey nonsense, but I think at the very least it starts off in a big, bold, dramatic fashion and while it does load up on the fanservice, it's a short arc that's quickly followed by the true finale arc of Dragon Ball. While Super has largely persisted on being nothing but fanservice, Super 17 is a 6-episode dose of it about 20 weeks out from Dragon Ball concluding, which plays well into the themes and story of these last 24 episodes.
Just my two cents.

Previous thread: Week 109 (GT 36-40)
Next thread: Week 111 (GT 44-48)

Anyway, without further ado...

Episode 485 - The Tenka’ichi Budōkai: Who Will Be Satan’s Successor? (GT episode 41)
Ocean dub title: The Number One Under the Sun Martial Arts Competition: Who is Hercule's Successor?
Funimation dub title: Curtain Call
Originally aired 12th of March 1997

Written by: Atsushi Maekawa
Episode director: Takahiro Imamura
Animation supervisor: Masayuki Uchiyama

Mr. Satan gets his groove back.

Trivia:

TV Special 3 - Goku’s Side Story! The Proof of his Courage is the Four-Star Ball (GT special)
Funimation dub title: A Hero's Legacy
Originally aired 26th of March 1997

Episode director: Yoshihiro Ueda
Animation supervisor: Akira Inagami

A very long time after a terrible monster terrorised earth, a student called Goku who is bullied at school loses his mentor and goes on a quest to use the Dragon Balls-- wait hang on that's Dragonball Evolution.
Ahem.
A very long time after a terrible monster terrorised earth, a student called Goku who is bullied at school loses his mentor and goes on a quest to use the Dragon Balls--
... Hmm.

Trivia:

Episode 486 - Die, Goku!! Strong Enemies are Resurrected from Hell (GT episode 42)
Ocean dub title: Look Out Goku! The Resurrected Enemies Escape From Hades!
Funimation dub title: A Dangerous Union
Originally aired 16th of April 1997

Episode director: Kazuhito Kikuchi
Animation supervisor: Tadayoshi Yamamuro

17 times 2 makes about 6 episodes.

Trivia:

Episode 487 - The Demon-Warriors of Hell! Cell & Freeza Are Revived (GT episode 43)
Ocean dub title: The Resurrection of the Evil Warriors Cell & Frieza.
Funimation dub title: The Resurrection of Cell and Frieza
Originally aired 23rd of April 1997

Episode director: Mitsuo Hashimoto
Animation supervisor: Noboru Koizumi

Cell and Freeza sass each other for about 20 minutes.

Trivia:

____

Trivia written by Robo. Episode summaries, airdates, and titles courtesy of Kanzenshuu's episode guide.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 110 - GT 41, TV Special, 42-43 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:26 pm

I seem to remember Hell Fighter 17 being used long before Funimation got their hands on GT

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:26 pm I seem to remember Hell Fighter 17 being used long before Funimation got their hands on GT
It's possible it was a fan term that Funi adopted, like Kid Boo or, IIRC, Ultimate Gohan. I think Majin Vegeta might also be a case of this?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:08 pm

I remember the FUNimation Dragon Ball website making a big deal out of how they got the guy who played Chewbacca to be in the special.

As a whole, the special’s fine, but it’s not difficult to see why it isn’t as well regarded as the Bardock and Trunks specials. I also find it weird that despite taking place 100 years in the future, the entire look and feel of the Goku Jr. timeline seems so much more mundane. It’s like technology regressed or something. I used to wonder what a hypothetical sequel series focused on Goku Jr. would be like, but looking back, I don’t think there would’ve been any potential.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:39 pm

Episode 41 was a good comedy episode, with just the right amount of sincerity in the Oob/Satan story. Uchiyama was actually the right choice for this kind of episode.

Thankfully, Tenshinhan's actor did not reprise his Announcer voice from the Boo Saga. I believe they got the guy from the Cell Games this time around.

Nice to see Palace back with Goten again, continuing their date from the previous episodes by going for "hamgers".

I'm glad that Tōru Furuya got something to do as Pack in the Special.

Lol at the Super 17 arc. It's all so very dumb! I laughed at Dr. Mu wandering around in Hell, with the narrator like "Remember this guy...??". Trunks showing up at the Son house beaten up was funny also. And then Mu and Gero drink wine and clink glasses in Hell!!

I didn't like Vegeta stopping my man from taking that TV in the beginning. It's like, damn, you ain't a cop now, dial it back brother!

Freeza and Cell down in Hell may be foolishness, but at least Ryūsei Nakao and Norio Wakamoto are still killing it.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:36 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:26 pm I seem to remember Hell Fighter 17 being used long before Funimation got their hands on GT
It's "Hell Fighter #17" in the original Japanese dialogue also. It's not spoken until episode 43 I believe.

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:37 pm It's possible it was a fan term that Funi adopted, like Kid Boo or, IIRC, Ultimate Gohan. I think Majin Vegeta might also be a case of this?
"Majin Vegeta" was a fan term. However, it was "Mystic Gohan" that was the fan term, not "Ultimate Gohan". Although "Ultimate Gohan" only appeared in the Daizenshuu and the video games, not within the series itself.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:06 am

The first time I heard "Majin Vegeta" was in the Budokai games. Same goes for "Kid Goku", "Teen Gohan"(for Cell Games Gohan), "Warp Kamehameha", "Final Explosion", and "Soul Punisher". Fans tend to use a lot of the game names when discussing the series.

"Ultimate Gohan" I first saw in the first Tenkaichi game, although it might go back to the fansub days? The Budokai games referred to it as "Elder Kai Unlock Ability".

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:23 am

Mystic Gohan I 100 percent remember appearing on websites well before Funimation released the Buu saga. Not entirely sure about Ultimate Gohan but I seem to remember Ultimate Buu being used as the term for Buu after absorbing Gohan.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:21 am

This is the arc where GT started to go downhill in my eyes. The previous and following arc are really good, but this arc right here really dropped the ball.
Up until episode 41 I was having a great time. The unfunny episode of the TB was... not bad I guess, I just don't care when our guys are all spectators. It's hard to care when not even the GT-senshi care.

The whole hell lab just fucks the suspend of disbelief in the ass, really. Hell is just a prison you can escape. You just have to throw your brain away, it's like a SDBH arc. Humans sensing cyborgs' ki, Enma not letting Piccolo go to hell to help, they let Goku and Paikuhan go to hell to lend a hand a few times. Goku not going SS4 and shunkanidoing back to Earth, he did so in the Bojack movie, while dead. The boring way back home they found for Goku.
Cell and Freeza looking awful and having the most boring fight possible, that ice machine thing, that old lady... yuck.

Goku got frozen like 5 times in GT. Carbonite, in hell, vs San Shinron twice... and I think again vs Omega.
I wonder why Baby wasn't brought back, I mean, Rildo came back. Is Broly the only movie character not featured in this arc? I guess Broly is part of a different timeline/universe.

It was nice to see Nappa again, and while Geets dealt with him like he should, I always wanted to see more of them, but I understand Nappa is hardly an afterthought to Vegeta.

I feel this arc would've made more sense with a different approach, without a lab in hell, without so many things. Maybe with the DBs being used for opening the portal and that being one of the last straws before they cracked.... and have this arc linked to the following.

One more thing, Enma implies he cannot do stuff because of something else going on, and then the camera goes with the DBs... so, were the DBs that opened between both worlds? weren't the 17s who opened the portal? what did Enma mean by that?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:41 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:21 amEnma not letting Piccolo go to hell to help, they let Goku and Paikuhan go to hell to lend a hand a few times.
I feel this arc would've made more sense with a different approach, without a lab in hell, without so many things. Maybe with the DBs being used for opening the portal and that being one of the last straws before they cracked.... and have this arc linked to the following.

One more thing, Enma implies he cannot do stuff because of something else going on, and then the camera goes with the DBs... so, were the DBs that opened between both worlds? weren't the 17s who opened the portal? what did Enma mean by that?
Yes, the reason why Enma could not just fix the situation so easily is because an "outside force" was interfering with the dimensions. It is heavily implied that this force was the bad karma from the cracked Dragon Balls seeping out and is meant to foreshadow and Segway into the next arc. Towards the end of the Ja'aku Ryu arc, they explicitly state this iirc. I noticed this years ago and then again just recently on a rewatch and thought it was actually clever. This is why the next arc starts immediately after the Super 17 conflict is resolved.

GT as a story is one giant saga caused by the Ultimate Dragon Balls, as it should be.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:19 pm

majin Vegeta is a term that's been around forever. Not sure about Mystic Gohan. Can't say I'm a big fan of it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:46 pm

"Mystic Gohan" grew popular enough for FUNimation to use it in 2004's Dragon Ball: Buu's Fury. People also say this term appears in a FUNimation's booklet for the Dragon Ball Z Season 9 DVD (though, for the life of me, I couldn't find any picture of it, nor do I know when it was released). It must be a term that was made up around late 1990s and early 2000s.

FUNimation is known for pleasing its English fanbase by adopting whatever names they came up with, most recently (to the best of my knowledge) with 2015's Xenoverse and its "Frost Demon" as the name of Freeza's race.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:35 pm

Just call him Ultimate Gohan. That’s as close to an official name as we’re likely to get, and it makes more sense and is less silly than Mystic Gohan.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 110 - GT 41, TV Special, 42-43

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:15 pm

Yeah Ultimate Gohan has been pretty consistent since about 2006. The first place I remember bumping into it was the Sparking American releases. Majin Vegeta goes way back possibly all the way to the gen 1 American fans maybe around the time of Hyper Dimension. I remember seeing it on the websites taking about the snes fighting games in the late 90s.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat