Why has Goku never taught anyone how to use Kaioken, Spirit Bomb, or Instant Transmission?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Why has Goku never taught anyone how to use Kaioken, Spirit Bomb, or Instant Transmission?

Post by super michael » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:36 pm

He did teach Goten/Trunks the fusion dance...Piccolo and Vegeta too.

But why not Kaioken, Spirit Bomb, or Instant Transmission? He's a martial arts master afterall?

*I got this thread from EpicRaptorMan.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Re: Why has Goku never taught anyone how to use Kaioken, Spirit Bomb, or Instant Transmission?

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:43 pm

I know how to use my language to the point I'm a novelist. I'm not able to teach you anything about grammar.
The reply is: teaching is an art. Goku is not skilled into the art of teaching. While he'll probably train Uub later in the serie, but whatever we (almost) ignore how the thing will work if not by Goku bashing an already overpowered kid (and maybe that's why he does teach him something: nothing too intellectual here).
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: Why has Goku never taught anyone how to use Kaioken, Spirit Bomb, or Instant Transmission?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:54 pm

Simple - he never had the opportunity, Uub was his first pupil technically.

And Goku sensei may be an source of great potential that another tale could explore.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:00 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:54 pm Simple - he never had the opportunity, Uub was his first pupil technically.
There was years inbetween and in the middle of the arcs where he could have just teached something, at least Kaiohken. I think he didn't not of missing chances, but missing skill into teaching - he doesn't actually understand how things works to abstract a teaching out of it.
To notice Vegeta, Gohan and Piccolo were able to teach something instead. Different aptitudes.
The best Goku did for Gohan was "Go kid, get smashed by this monster, I have faith in you... ops...".
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:19 pm

Why would he? Nobody ever asks him too.

He only teaches in the face of necessity - Gohan and Goten and Trunks as examples. Before Oob, he never really taught for sport. I'm sure he would if asked but it's not something he'll go out of his way to do if he doesn't believe it can help save the world.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:22 pm

Yuji wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:19 pm Why would he? Nobody ever asks him too.

He only teaches in the face of necessity - Gohan and Goten and Trunks as examples. Before Oob, he never really taught for sport. I'm sure he would if asked but it's not something he'll go out of his way to do if he doesn't believe it can help save the world.
I want to correct you there, Goku wanted to teach Gohan martial arts even though there was no danger. The one against Goku teaching Gohan martial arts of any kind was Chi Chi. This was mentioned when Goku was with Master Roshi, before Radtiz attack them.

So Goku is willing to teach without danger.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:04 pm

super michael wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:22 pm
Yuji wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:19 pm Why would he? Nobody ever asks him too.

I want to correct you there, Goku wanted to teach Gohan martial arts even though there was no danger. The one against Goku teaching Gohan martial arts of any kind was Chi Chi. This was mentioned when Goku was with Master Roshi, before Radtiz attack them.

So Goku is willing to teach without danger.
I think there's a difference between wanting to teach his own son full of untapped potential and training other martial artists who train almost as hard as he does and have likely reached their ceiling.

Some of the more serious characters like Piccolo and Tenshinhan would probably take it as an insult if Goku offered himself to teach them some moves out of the blue.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:00 pm

He taught none cuz each fighters got their trademark signature moves. So its unnecesary to teach them any of his

Not out of selfish reasons I assume. Likely cuz

1. Goku nver had the time (eithrr dead, train in space, Yadrat, out of commision with virus, train in HTC, again dead for 7 years like srsly😅😏)

2. Fighters pride (u bet guys like Piccolo, Vegeta or Tien wud wanna learn frm Goku)

3. Unfavourable situation ( fighters were constantly battling either constant danger (saiyans, frieza, android or prolonged peace-time like EoZ)

On a side note, most tricks like Kamehameha, Taiyo-Ken, Shi-shin no Ken seemed to have been emulated/copied/learnt by every chtcter in the series by DB. Thinkin of it now, wonder how long it would've took for any chrcter to learn Kaioken, Spirit Bomb etc

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:45 am

I think a better question is: Why hasn't King Kai taught the Kaioken or Spirit Bomb to anyone else?

Goku didn't teach anyone until Uub. I'm sure he teaches him all his abilities though.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:44 am

Peach wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:45 am I think a better question is: Why hasn't King Kai taught the Kaioken or Spirit Bomb to anyone else?

Goku didn't teach anyone until Uub. I'm sure he teaches him all his abilities though.
Kaoi didnt have time possibly. Or stakes were low (since Frieza, strongest by that time was already defeated) so Kaio wasnt as enthusiastic as he did with Goku prior to Saiyans arrival

Or Gods Kaio included were just lousy.

Goku trained for about 5-6 months, while Piccolo did for less than 1 week possibly. So...no chance

Yamcha, Tien stayed for at least 150+ days. Thats abt how long Namekian DB's to be revived. Obviously both fighters could've learnt Kaioken or GenkiDama, but as I mentioned either they lacked drive cuz Frieza was defeated or overjoyed cuz they're abt to be revived or Kaoi was complacent with his training

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:32 am

The simplest answer is that Tenshinhan and co
just aren't good enough. These attacks were supposed to be nigh-impossible to master, and Goku is a prodigy.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:12 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:32 am The simplest answer is that Tenshinhan and co
just aren't good enough. These attacks were supposed to be nigh-impossible to master, and Goku is a prodigy.
Krillin managed to harness Spirit Bomb (weakened though it maybe) & hurl it to Veggie in Saiyan Saga with lil to no training

Cell, Black & Veggie (in dbs Zamasu & Moro Arc) managed to master Instant Transmission.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:19 am

Shouldn’t you question why Kaio didn’t teach Yamucha and the others Kaio-Ken and Spirit Bomb? Anime filler would have you believe they were significantly stronger than Goku was when he finished his training with Kaio and I would think even canonically they were at least as strong as Goku when he fought Vegeta.

The real reason is, I think, Toriyama wanted Goku to have techniques unique to him. Pretty much everyone knew the Kamehameha at that point. Making Goku the only known master of those techniques gives him something special. Like Tenshinhan using kikoho and Yamucha using sokidan and Roga Fufu Ken and Krillin’s kienzan and Vegeta’s Big Bang and Final Flash and Galic Gun

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:08 pm

In-universe reason: Nobody asked Goku to teach them those abilities and techniques

Out-of-universe reason: Toriyama was more focused on figuring out how powerful the next central antagonist would be for Goku to defeat and/or fight that he neglected to think of how the supporting cast could be utilized in combat and not be interchangeable cardboard cutouts in the background because he can't be bothered to write for more than a handful of characters in any given story arc

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:48 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:19 am Shouldn’t you question why Kaio didn’t teach Yamucha and the others Kaio-Ken and Spirit Bomb? Anime filler would have you believe they were significantly stronger than Goku was when he finished his training with Kaio and I would think even canonically they were at least as strong as Goku when he fought Vegeta.
They were way stronger since they could beat the Ginyu Force.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:19 pm

Jord wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:48 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:19 am Shouldn’t you question why Kaio didn’t teach Yamucha and the others Kaio-Ken and Spirit Bomb? Anime filler would have you believe they were significantly stronger than Goku was when he finished his training with Kaio and I would think even canonically they were at least as strong as Goku when he fought Vegeta.
…..

This is why I said anime filler because that scene didn’t happen in the manga

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:45 pm

Jord wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:48 pm
...did you just skip past the anime filler part or am I having a stroke?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:55 pm

While that bit with the Ginyu Force is filler, it is true they were stronger than Goku was when they got to King Kai's place. Especially if you take into account that it took them about 2 months to get there compared to Goku's six.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:38 pm

Maybe the Earthlings' bodies just were naturally incapable of handling the strain of something like Kaio-ken.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:06 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:38 pm Maybe the Earthlings' bodies just were naturally incapable of handling the strain of something like Kaio-ken.
Valid point. Cuz Saiyans home-world Planet Vegeta had 10G similar to how Kaio's planet was. So it would facilitate Goku's growth him bein Saiyan

Doubt if human bodies would or could handle or experience long-term benefit. Rmmber how Veggie trained inside Dr. Brief's Capsule using 450G, while Yamcha could barely even...haha. maybe filler but still

Maybe its predetermined Saiyan race are gifted exclusively for battle, hence their physique are gifted to handle enormous brutal training regime & power boosts.

Humans lile Muten Roshi/Tien were gifted up until Daimou Arc😅