Pioneer Movie Trilogy box scan

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Pioneer Movie Trilogy box scan

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:10 pm

I know someone was looking for this years ago but I finally got a copy at a decent price and did some scans and cleanups

Raw scan:

Cleaned up

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Re: Pioneer Movie Trilogy box scan

Post by MrSatan2099 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:39 pm

That's awesome, thank you! Always had the singles of these so I may have to give this a try. Any material you recommend in particular for recreating them? Just glossy photo paper on cardstock?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:42 pm

God, the atmosphere of this cover is so inline with the darker visuals of these three movies. It honestly makes me wish Dragon Ball delved into this a bit more.

Great work with the clean-up, too!
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:41 pm

I love the cover art for that movie boxset. Shame it's out of print (and the Pioneer singles in general) as it would be nice for more people to be able to own it.

Great job scanning and cleaning this up, will make for some great custom DVD covers.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:46 am

MrSatan2099 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:39 pm That's awesome, thank you! Always had the singles of these so I may have to give this a try. Any material you recommend in particular for recreating them? Just glossy photo paper on cardstock?
Photopaper works well but I actually think presentation paper (a thick matte cardstock) works the best.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:02 am

That is a seamless clean up, don't mind if I use Goku as my new phone background! It took me too long to piece together that its Goku flying through the darkness to get Garlic's castle. If only Shenron emerged from the clouds below like that in the movie, it would probably jump near the top of the list of animated Shenron summonings.
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:42 pm God, the atmosphere of this cover is so inline with the darker visuals of these three movies. It honestly makes me wish Dragon Ball delved into this a bit more.
Those first three Z movies always gave me a picture of another way Dragon Ball could have gone, maybe a different mix of fantasy and sci-fi than the space pirates and Terminator the manga spent 5 years with. Or perhaps they were just so good at selling their particular environments like the primarily visual vehicles they were supposed to be that they just tricked me into thinking so. Even with Path to Power and Super Broly in the running, "Dragon Ball: The Big Movie" is always going to be Tree of Might to me. It didn't just rip off the Saiyan arc, it really blew it up to movie scale.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada