What’s the deal with them changing the way goku has to get energy for the spirit bomb.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

What’s the deal with them changing the way goku has to get energy for the spirit bomb.

Post by supersaiyamangod » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:42 pm

What’s the deal with them changing the way goku has to get energy for the spirit bomb in the buu arc compared to saiyan and freeza because he never needed people to raise their hands for their energy until the buu arc.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: What’s the deal with them changing the way goku has to get energy for the spirit bomb.

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:45 pm

I got the impression / interpreted it as that he was only soliciting energy from "the planet" (a bit vague, sure; this would include plants and such) during the Saiyan arc, whereas in the Boo arc (and GT) he's getting "extra" energy donated by willing human participants.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: What’s the deal with them changing the way goku has to get energy for the spirit bomb.

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:39 pm

Also, I think it's the amount of energy he's getting from humans. In order to get nearly all the energy people can spare, he needs them to willingly give it. Originally, he takes but a small fraction from everything.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:45 pm I got the impression / interpreted it as that he was only soliciting energy from "the planet" (a bit vague, sure; this would include plants and such) during the Saiyan arc, whereas in the Boo arc (and GT) he's getting "extra" energy donated by willing human participants.
Yeah but in the saiyan arc when krillin is holding it you see the people of earth in it so this is still kinda confusing all things considered.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:43 pm

I don't know why it would be as they state explicitly why. Vegeta was about to ask for more energy to defeat Buu, but others warn him that humans are tapped out. Taking any more energy risks death. The first Genki Dama only takes a small bit of energy from everyone so it didn't require consent.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:06 pm

I always thought the "default" genki dama borrowed energy from the planet, plants, water, etc... and not people. And the Super Genki Dama goes to town and drains dry even the stones.
It could be that the people seen on the first genki dama were for representation and not an indicator of the energy they provided.

But it could be that it takes a tiny fraction of every living thing and for the SGD it takes more than that but only if they are willing to share it. This probably makes the most sense, given that we are all living things, some more complex than others, but we all have genki.

I do wonder, did the saiyan arc Genki Dama also took some energy from Vegeta? defeated by your own energy, Geets, lol.
Freeza, too? did some fraction of Kid Buu's energy actually came back to bite him in the ass?

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:53 pm

Goku probably could have drained the people, but it was faster if they willingly gave the energy needed. And they were on a time crunch.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063