Does Goku sound manlier in the otherwise shitty Film Audio?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Does Goku sound manlier in the otherwise shitty Film Audio?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:26 pm

I always thought Goku sounded a lot manlier in the Classic Japanese DBZ show but I realized this is an unintended effect of the shitty Film Audio.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Does Goku sound manlier in the otherwise shitty Film Audio?

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:54 pm

What is manlier? What makes a man? I don't think there is a wrong answer, so I don't really know how to say one way or the other.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:20 am

If Symphony of the Night has taught me anything in life, is that man is a miserable pile of secrets.

But assuming it is more of a bravado or something that is more honourable warrior voice trope, I never really felt that Goku is still the person who likes to become strong and fight with others to test himself. Things certainly change given the situation and age. But for this case I don't really notice too much difference. Maybe a bit of a mature tone in his voice, but that may be more so Nozawa evolving with the character.

So I guess not really, is the short answer.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:33 am

In Movie 12 Nozawa pitches Goku's voice deeper than usual right after he activates Super Saiyan 3 against Janemba ("You're the first person I've had to use this on aside from Majin Buu"). She does this occasionally.

Other than that, I'm not sure what the question is referring to.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:05 am

Manlier compared to DBS? I never really payed attention, maybe a comparison video could help.