Kai coming to Hulu on July 1, 2023

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: Kai coming to Hulu on July 1, 2023

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:06 pm

DB1984 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:36 pm Besides the title card, eyecatches, and NEPs, what other Yamamoto tracks were leitmotifs of others? The ones I mentioned were leitmotifs of Dragon Soul and both 1.0 ending themes.
Personally, I think "re-arrangement" might be more fitting to use. But there probably weren't any if you can't recall them.
Especially considering the actual sources of most of the tracks.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:45 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:04 pm Already knew that this would be a botched release somehow, there was just no way around that massive scandal during the broadcast.
There was a way, and that was Ocean Kai. Not surprising Hulu didn't go that route though, since Canada isn't included.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:45 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:45 am
GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:04 pm Already knew that this would be a botched release somehow, there was just no way around that massive scandal during the broadcast.
There was a way, and that was Ocean Kai. Not surprising Hulu didn't go that route though, since Canada isn't included.
They also could have just released all of Home Video Kai or all of Nicktoons Kai instead of electing to randomly mix the two in

And Hulu probably didn't have Ocean Kai on the table because it was probably a deal they had with Crunchyroll, who wouldn't have Ocean Kai to give them even if they wanted to.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:47 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:45 amThere was a way, and that was Ocean Kai. Not surprising Hulu didn't go that route though, since Canada isn't included.
Hmm, it still hasn't seen the light of day until now, pretty much given up on it ever being a thing.
The dub side is just a mess as usual it seems...

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:57 pm

Here's a question I don't think has been asked before: Why don't they re-score Kai 1.0 with Sumitomo's compositions? Or would that have been a budget-buster?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:49 pm

DB1984 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:57 pm Here's a question I don't think has been asked before: Why don't they re-score Kai 1.0 with Sumitomo's compositions? Or would that have been a budget-buster?
It would take more than the 0 percent effort Toei wants to put in it. I doubt it would cost much to pay their music editor to insert pre-existing Sumitomo tracks into Kai 1.0 but why would they bother?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:18 pm

Small update: watching a little more, Episode 33 has the Simmons subs for the captions and I believe Episode 27 (if I remember right) has the uncut captions despite the video/audio being the edited version.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:27 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:07 pm Things I noticed:

- The audio in the opening and NEP in Episode 1 sound kinda funky, like something went wrong while re-editing/re-encoding the episode for streaming. And the episode is indeed slightly re-edited; they corrected the opening in Episode 1 using the Japanese logo (Dragon Ball Kai without the Z) to be the US logo. That was something a lot of people noted when the home release came out back in 2010.
- They used the Nicktoons TV masters for some episodes. I looked through them all because I'm a crazy person, so I can tell you it affects the following episodes: 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 27, 54, 59, 60, 61, 65, 67, 71, 73, 76, 80, 82, 88, and 97.
- While checking for which episodes used the Nicktoons masters, I noticed that the Closed Captions on Episode 37 are a subtitle translation for the Japanese track and not proper CCs for the dub (I assume the Simmons subs). There may be more examples of this; this is just the one I caught.
A bit late seeing this post, but just wanted to say thanks for the keen eye and detective work on this! I genuinely facepalmed and laughed when I read the part about Nicktoons footage being used. :lol:

I genuinely don't understand how an old TV master gets mixed in with the uncut files. Did someone not scrub/QC through the episodes before submitting to Hulu? Or does Toei/Crunchyroll just not care ? (Hint hint: the latter is more likely than one may think)

Reason #2547 why Dragon Ball is a cursed franchise.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:19 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:27 pmReason #2547 why Dragon Ball is a cursed franchise.
How long has the franchise been cursed? I'd say ever since the Ultimate Uncut Edition DVDs were suddenly and unexpectedly cancelled by Funimation.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:49 pm

DB1984 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:19 pm
theoriginalbilis wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:27 pmReason #2547 why Dragon Ball is a cursed franchise.
How long has the franchise been cursed?
The day it was licensed through nepotism

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:02 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:49 pmThe day it was licensed through nepotism
I'd be inclined to agree but then Harmony Gold of all people got their hands on the series license even before that.
Guess that was just a preview though, since amid all their more ridiculous changes, the soundtrack somehow remained as it was (far as I've seen, what with the OP's instrumental stem being dubbed over like the "Star Blazers" days).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:53 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:02 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:49 pmThe day it was licensed through nepotism
I'd be inclined to agree but then Harmony Gold of all people got their hands on the series license even before that.
Guess that was just a preview though, since amid all their more ridiculous changes, the soundtrack somehow remained as it was (far as I've seen, what with the OP's instrumental stem being dubbed over like the "Star Blazers" days).
Harmony Gold never really got anywhere with it so I can't really called it cursed. That's more of a narrowly avoided train wreck

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:11 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:53 pmHarmony Gold never really got anywhere with it so I can't really called it cursed. That's more of a narrowly avoided train wreck
Good point. They dropped it as soon as it didn't go anywhere, meanwhile FUNimation just kept on poisoning the well, one bad decision and release after the other.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:30 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:49 pm
Howdy. Do you mind explaining how nepotism plays a role in this? I generally don't know the history of Dragon Ball's releases. I always rewatched Dragon Ball via Youtube("Full Fight No Filler" was the good ole days), Hulu, and now CrunchyRoll.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:47 pm

ATA wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:30 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:49 pm

Howdy. Do you mind explaining how nepotism plays a role in this? I generally don't know the history of Dragon Ball's releases. I always rewatched Dragon Ball via Youtube("Full Fight No Filler" was the good ole days), Hulu, and now CrunchyRoll.
Funimation was able to secure the license for Dragon Ball despite being a brand new start up company with no experience with anime simply because Gen Fukanaga (Funimation founder and former CEO) was the nephew of a higher up at Toei, despite other more seasoned and deserving companies expressing interest in licensing Dragon Ball, including U.S Renditions, who were all set to get the license until Funimation swiped it from under them

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/press-archiv ... unimation/

https://youtube.com/live/atTdTl3UOzI?feature=share7

>Relevant part about 4 and half minutes in

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:47 pm Funimation was able to secure the license for Dragon Ball despite being a brand new start up company with no experience with anime simply because Gen Fukanaga (Funimation founder and former CEO) was the nephew of a higher up at Toei
And given that the (presently deceased) Nagafumi Hori was a producer at the main company, in particular on the Tokusatsu side of things rather than the animation division, one has to wonder if people like him there were also responsible for other instances of approving of Toei IP's getting remade and imported into the US (Super Sentai, initially Kamen Rider, etc). Since apparently he was in on the Funimation plot (basically what it was) from the beginning, just what is it exactly that he was thinking when he proposed this idea to his nephew? Guess we'll never know.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:36 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:01 pm , just what is it exactly that he was thinking when he proposed this idea to his nephew? Guess we'll never know.
Pretty sure he was thinking he was doing his nephew solid by helping his nephew's start-up company acquired Toei's then number 1 property.

Say what you will about Saban (the company and the person) but at least Super Sentai wasn't acquired by nepotism and the concept of dubbing over the masked action footage and refilming civilian footage with American actors dates back to 1982 when Stan Lee attempted it with Sun Vulcan before being shot down by tv networks because the show was "too violent and dumb"

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:36 pmSay what you will about Saban (the company and the person) but at least Super Sentai wasn't acquired by nepotism and the concept of dubbing over the masked action footage and refilming civilian footage with American actors dates back to 1982 when Stan Lee attempted it with Sun Vulcan before being shot down by tv networks because the show was "too violent and dumb"
That's certainly true, although it was generally the same deal for other such companies like HG, they got it the professional way (not entirely sure how legal it was for certain cases though).
I heard about the Stan Lee attempt (although I'd heard that Bioman was another such candidate), and there was already something that happened before (but sort of in reverse?) with one of his characters, Spider-man (Supaidaman) being brought into the world of Tokusatsu (and having a lasting influence on Super Sentai with Leopardon).

The thing about Funimation playing the nepotism card is even more sad because they went on to do literally the same things that everyone else who'd tried to put anime on TV before them did, really not different in any way. They got carried hard through all of their inexperience by that one IP. Under any other circumstance that wouldn't have been possible.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:31 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:36 pm
GhostEmperorX wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:01 pm , just what is it exactly that he was thinking when he proposed this idea to his nephew? Guess we'll never know.
Pretty sure he was thinking he was doing his nephew solid by helping his nephew's start-up company acquired Toei's then number 1 property.

Say what you will about Saban (the company and the person) but at least Super Sentai wasn't acquired by nepotism and the concept of dubbing over the masked action footage and refilming civilian footage with American actors dates back to 1982 when Stan Lee attempted it with Sun Vulcan before being shot down by tv networks because the show was "too violent and dumb"
No it didnt, what Stan Lee and his boss Margaret Loesch did was that they DUBBED the footage, they didnt add any new anything other than dubbing the footage and according to her removing the more controversial bits of violent footage such as human characters hitting each other instead of just the monsters. The series she tried to work with was Sun Vulcan.

Saban was the one who came up with the idea to put American actors and original footage over the sentai original. He tried with Bioman and then that got rejected... until he tried to sell it to Margaret Loesch. But by then the footage and the actors were very old and had to recast entirely. And they made MMPR with Zyuranger.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:39 pm

I peeped Kai on Hulu. Good god they really selected those Kikuchi tracks by pulling them out of a hat.