One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Post by coola » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:20 pm

First Fist of the North Star, now One Piece is getting anime remake, and by Wit Studio, i wish Dragon Ball would get proper reboot and by different studio :( https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status ... 6028930498
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:49 pm

I'm not sure why a series that is still ongoing, and refusing to leave like a strain of herpes, even needs a remake.

I go back and forth on if original Dragon Ball needs a reboot or not. On the one hand it might be nice to recommend a version of early Dragon Ball that you don't have to preface with "it was made in the 1980s" on the other hand remakes usually tend to be pretty bland and sterile as a general rule. I also don't trust Toei to hire a composer whose gonna give us a score as memorable and incomparable as Shunsuke Kikuchi's score for pre-Z Dragon Ball, I fully expect generic shonen anime soundtrack.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:26 pm

I don't get it, what is the point of One Piece getting a remake, when the anime is still on going. I can understand if the anime has reached the end or got cancelled, but that doesn't apply to One Piece.

As for Dragon Ball, they shouldn't remake it or reboot it. Imagine if the remake or reboot is inferior compared to DBS, that will be bad.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:46 pm

Lord, handing this over to WIT Studio is damning enough as it is. WIT's a top-level abuser of its employees. I hope that Toei Animation still being credited as part of the production committee is a sign that they'll be overseeing the project, still, and WIT is merely being used as a sub-animation production studio of some sort.

As for how this reflects back on Dragon Ball: One Piece and Dragon Ball are in very similar positions because they've both sort of refused to leave, and continue to use voice actors that were already leaving their primes in the 1990s when both series ended and began. I have the unfortunately feeling that the same One Piece voice cast from One Piece (1999) will continue to be used, which I think is a poor decision to make for wanting to create a 'modern' One Piece animated adaption, and I also think the same of Dragon Ball. When Dragon Ball Kai was broadcast in 2009 there was a partial recast done for side characters, and I am of the opinion that that series should have been used as an oportunity to do an entire cast recast. The patchwork manner of creating 'new' productions for these series is very silly. One Piece still being on-going at 1,088 broadcast episodes and multiple films and specials is, I think, a poor decision on part of the entire operation, and I think adding in what is essentially a second concurrent animated series that merely remakes the earlier arcs of the series is unwise at this point, especially if it's just going to carry over the baggage (cast? Musical score?) of the still-running 1999 series.

That being said, I don't even really like One Piece, so I am waiting for my inevitable curiousness over the bizareness of this situation to fade lol. If Dragon Ball should be next to receive a similar treatment, then I hope that it's done with a full clean slate.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:49 pmremakes usually tend to be pretty bland and sterile as a general rule
Anime remakes have a great track record, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Hunter X Hunter, Fruits Basket, Hellsing Ultimate, Shaman King and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure all spring to mind as generally well liked and in some cases surpassing the original.

I have an unique relationship with One Piece. It's the show I point to for the "would you still love Dragon Ball if you didn't grow up with it" question. I didn't grow up with One Piece and having seem it for the first time as an adult I enjoy it immensely but don't have the same emotional attachment to it. I've seen a good bit (161 episodes as of this point) but don't find the time to catch up or rewatch everything for the nostalgia. I hope to one day be caught up but it may not be until I'm at retirement age.

I'm excited for this remake, as like the live action show it gives me another chance to catch up with the story. If I don't make much more progress on the original anime I'll do my best to keep up with this new adaptation, as I assume it will be intended as a new entry point with improved animation and significantly less filler that lends itself to a better flowing series.

Dragon Ball definitely deserves a remake, if only as a new way for people to get into the original series. I think it would be neat if we had a remake that was just called "Dragon Ball" from Pilaf to Boo to solidify for some fans that Z is not a different story.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:56 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:06 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:49 pmremakes usually tend to be pretty bland and sterile as a general rule
Anime remakes have a great track record, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Hunter X Hunter, Fruits Basket, Hellsing Ultimate, Shaman King and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure all spring to mind as generally well liked and in some cases surpassing the original.
Fruits Basket is actually so good it's not even funny, geunine peak media, but tbh the 2019 version is actually not super interesting from a directing, animation, production level, it's very much 1 to 1 to the manga in terms of how it stages scenes and stuff, which is fine because the story is so good and the original series didn't get that far, but the 2001 series has a lot more going for it in terms of using animation as a medium to tell a story. I wouldn't call it sterile or lifeless, but I think that concern is moreso what people mean. I think 2011 HxH is like that too but I haven't seen 99 HxH or read much of the manga, just glimpses of it here and there that seemed fairly 1 to 1, though Madhouse and Togashi definitely stage things well enough to where it's not that noticeable I think.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:33 pm

The vast majority of Hunter x Hunter (2011) looks really sterile and lifeless, in my opinion. Animated adaptions have unfortunately been growing increasingly dull-looking in trying to create an inoffensive look that capture the look of the comic for a long time, unfortunately. Hunter x Hunter (1999) had a lot more gorgeous storyboarding and color design work—to say nothing of livelier animation from masters like Matsumoto Norio and Matsushima Akira.

Anime adaptions have unfortunately moved further-and-further away from the strengths of the medium. Where as in the 2000s we were getting regular event episodes overseen by the likes of Wakabayashi Atsushi and Tsuru Toshiyuki for NARUTO by the time we had gotten to the final year or two of NARUTO Shippuuden episodes like Wakabayashi's NARUTO (2002) #30 or Tsuru's #48 were few and far between. I think that it's a terrible shame to see anime adaptions getting away from those sorts of episodes. BORUTO had some big fight episodes from some of the younger generation, but those episodes weren't nearly as regular as the big episodes of NARUTO and NARUTO Shippuuden.

Studios like WIT and MAPPA are exactly what's wrong with the industry. They're creatively constricting and work their staff to the bone, without any sort of ability for the labor to push bad. I'm not exactly looking forward to this model potentially being brought about to any future productions, whether I like the original work or not.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:47 pm

Remaking an on-going show must be the epitome of capitalist greed.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:33 pm
Studios like WIT and MAPPA are exactly what's wrong with the industry. They're creatively constricting and work their staff to the bone, without any sort of ability for the labor to push bad. I'm not exactly looking forward to this model potentially being brought about to any future productions, whether I like the original work or not.
Didn't know Wit was part of that problem too, i heard about Mappa (Jujutsu Kaisen) and Cloverworks (Wonder Egg Priority) terrible working condition, but didn't know about Wit :(

I'm not familiar with One Piece too much, only read 1st volume of manga, did it go different route from manga similar to original Tokyo Mew Mew or Fruits Basket anime? If yes, remake could make sense, original still goes on, but first arcs are almost 25 year old :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:38 am

I would hardly say One Piece fans are lucky because of this. Although Dragon Ball is my favorite series, One Piece isn't far behind, its probably my 3rd or 4th favorite series. I am completely baffled by this decesion other than it's a confirmation of 2 things.

1. One Piece is coming to an end, and they are getting on top of it to remain relevant.

2.One Piece anime doesn't touch Dragon Ball in terms of popularity, and they are making a second attempt to try and bring people in, especially North America where one Piece remains niche comparatively to other series.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:52 am

coola wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:20 pm First Fist of the North Star, now One Piece is getting anime remake, and by Wit Studio, i wish Dragon Ball would get proper reboot and by different studio :( https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status ... 6028930498
I hope the Fist of the North Star remake will be 2-D animated.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:52 am

coola wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:40 pm I'm not familiar with One Piece too much, only read 1st volume of manga, did it go different route from manga similar to original Tokyo Mew Mew or Fruits Basket anime? If yes, remake could make sense, original still goes on, but first arcs are almost 25 year old :)
In like the first year the series did some minor tweaks to the order of events and changed some smaller details, but nothing massive. Later down the road it's basically a panel-for-panel adaptation.This is not an FMA situation where the first anime is wildly different from the manga. This remake mostly just seems to exist to have a new product to sell. Well, charitably one could perhaps also chalk it up to the early anime being dated enough to be potentially off-putting to kids in 2023... and also having just pretty shoddy production values all around. I seem to recall hearing that One Piece also got rushed into production back in the day? And you can kinda tell by how little actual animation there is. Whether the Wit anime ends up actually being better than Toei's series or not, looking better will be a low bar to clear.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:45 am

The One Piece remake is kind of ridiculous to me, because A. We just got that with the Live-Action, and B. The regular series is still going. What is this meant to accomplish? Sure, One Piece's pacing is shit, but they obviously could have DB-Kai'd it with even easier results due to the original footage and audio not having decayed over time (heck, Funi wouldn't need to redub it either). I guess it didn't always have the best animation, but the worst-looking stuff is from years and years in (Dressrosa is probably the ugliest arc), and the fact that they're going with WIT doesn't bode well. Aside from the whole "being a sweatshop" of it all, it seems like their projects tend to be known for rigorously-detailed animation, whereas One Piece has always excelled when it had more fluidity with simpler designs. If they still haven't figured out to just put Naoki Tate in charge of designs, the whole thing will feel comparatively pointless when One Pace still exists.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:17 am

Shaddy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:45 am Sure, One Piece's pacing is shit, but they obviously could have DB-Kai'd it with even easier results due to the original footage and audio not having decayed over time (heck, Funi wouldn't need to redub it either).
The original footage may not have decayed... But the entire East Blue arc was stored on composite masters. There exist certain extremely high-effort fan cleanups of it, but literally every official release of that arc look horrendous. And really even those fan cleanups are kind of... there's a bit of a hard limit for how much can actually be done with that material. Not to mention remaking them means no need to crop things because apparently Japanese TV standards demand that everything be widescreen these days or something. So at the very least up to the end of Skypiea, there is technically some merit to this idea. Most of that also wouldn't really benefit from a Kai style edit because really, the first 100 episodes of One Piece were mostly paced well. I think it wasn't until sometime in Skypiea that stuff started getting noticeably padded.

This is still a very weird thing to do, though. The simple fact that they're remaking it while the previous adaptation is still running is just kinda... Who approved this?

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:20 am

Yeah, it's weird that this is being announced while the original anime is still ongoing. I know One Piece is currently in its final arc, but knowing this series, it could be another couple years before the arc is actually finished- Unless they were told by Oda that the ending isn't too far away and felt confident enough based on that to announce this.

If that were the case though, it would be kinda hilarious if this was announced only for Oda to suffer a George RR Martin-esqe writing slump that stalls the series' momentum and forces the original anime into filler-only territory.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:25 am

Studio Wit is one of the better studios out there so looking forward to it.
And hey, if it disappoints we always have the original.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:35 am

Vegard Aune wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:17 am Most of that also wouldn't really benefit from a Kai style edit because really, the first 100 episodes of One Piece were mostly paced well. I think it wasn't until sometime in Skypiea that stuff started getting noticeably padded.
I am truly baffled by statements like this. Did we watch different shows

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:07 pm

I dug through some quick stats and One Piece (1999) Episode #100 adapts One Piece (1997) Chapters #163p10-19 and #164p2-16. That is dreadfully little content to have ideally covered by Episode #100. Episodes should be covering at least three chapters an episode, if not more with creative rewrites.

Heck, with the way that Dragon Ball (1984) is typically written you could easily and comfortably adapt 4-5 chapters per episode, meaning that by Episode #100 would at Chapter #400 (ending on the cliffhanger of Gokuu using his Instant Kamehame-Ha in a way that looks like he's aiming to destroy the Earth in his battle with Cell). Even then you could easily be further past that point. Hell, I'd aim to adapt up through at least Chapter #420 by Episode #104.
She/Her
bisexual milf

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:53 pm

I don't know that that's a fair comparison, since not all chapters are created equally in terms of amount of dialog, density of drawings, paneling style, etc.

Oda's chapters are FULL. There's a lot going on in each panel, nevermind each page, and often it either literally does showcase or implies more "activity" than might be assumed.

What I'm getting at is that one chapter of One Piece isn't equal to one chapter of original Dragon Ball.

I'd go on record and say I thought the overall pacing of the first few arcs of the One Piece anime (save for its dedicated filler arcs or insertions... things like Apis or the dragon town later on) is spot-on. Both when we originally first watched it when it was new, and most recently on this multi-year journey of trying to catch up (we're about to cross episode 1000!), some of that early stuff really captured our attention and we watched a few episodes in a row. In particular, the Kuro stuff is when it all falls into place and we just needed to keep going, and you get a lot more of than in Alabasta, too.

But yeah. I really don't think anyone should be putting a flag in the ground of "MUST ADAPT AT LEAST THREE CHAPTERS!" for any show. What's in those chapters is more important than any raw number.

Basically what I'm getting at is don't reduce things to just numbers! :lol:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:53 pm I don't know that that's a fair comparison, since not all chapters are created equally in terms of amount of dialog, density of drawings, paneling style, etc.

Oda's chapters are FULL. There's a lot going on in each panel, nevermind each page, and often it either literally does showcase or implies more "activity" than might be assumed.

What I'm getting at is that one chapter of One Piece isn't equal to one chapter of original Dragon Ball.

I'd go on record and say I thought the overall pacing of the first few arcs of the One Piece anime (save for its dedicated filler arcs or insertions... things like Apis or the dragon town later on) is spot-on. Both when we originally first watched it when it was new, and most recently on this multi-year journey of trying to catch up (we're about to cross episode 1000!), some of that early stuff really captured our attention and we watched a few episodes in a row. In particular, the Kuro stuff is when it all falls into place and we just needed to keep going, and you get a lot more of than in Alabasta, too.

But yeah. I really don't think anyone should be putting a flag in the ground of "MUST ADAPT AT LEAST THREE CHAPTERS!" for any show. What's in those chapters is more important than any raw number.

Basically what I'm getting at is don't reduce things to just numbers! :lol:
While I agree that the two comics are different beasts in a lot of ways, I don't think that necessarily means that they should be adapted one slower than the other based on one being denser, if only because I think the real answer is creating a good animated series first and foremost. Creating a good animated adaption doesn't necessitate adapting every panel, line of dialogue or plot point, which is what I was trying to imply with my use of the term 'creative rewrites'. I think One Piece (2023) understood that perfectly (although as a quick aside, I do think that Usopp's coolest scenes got lost in the shuffle of how they used their budget, and I think that is a mistake to learn from).

My post was a super barebones shot at saying "Hey, this is some raw information to work based off of," that I didn't meant to be a final response. There are so many factors to consider when writing, writing a television series, and writing an adaption of a comic as a television series to work with that I could literally spend an eternity coming up with the myriad of different ways to do it, after all.

But also, just that being said, I think One Piece (and Dragon Ball) has a lot of shit that could be not included when adapting the comic into a different medium (for what would be the second animated time, in this case), and I think the 1999 cartoon series is a prime example of that as something that has tried to remain faithful to the comic (or the supplemental info provided by Oda Ei-ichirou), and ultimately done so to its own detriment as a work.
She/Her
bisexual milf