Why didn't GT have any insert songs (that aren't the opening)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Why didn't GT have any insert songs (that aren't the opening)?

Post by Dragon ball master » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:39 am

I don't understand why GTs only have its opening as an insert song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGl183v41Zc
like for Kai and Super they had there opening ls but at least there's insert songs that isn't the opening. So Why doesn't GT have an insert song? Is it because of its production like that they couldn't get any songs because of how much time they have, or maybe they just didn't want to have any insert song's.
I would rather have a insert song that is just the intro then to just have it removed.
the music of most GT was made by 1 guy Akihito Tokunaga who had only a bit of experience with music so maybe that's why?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Why didn't GT have any insert song's that isnt the opening?

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:08 am

"Don't You See" also played in the episode when Baby's parasites were being purified from Earth.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: Why didn't GT have any insert songs (that aren't the opening)?

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:57 am

It's sort of like asking why GT didn't have any movies (the DB retelling movie released at the same time doesn't count).
BTW this should probably have been in the music section.

One thing to understand though, is that Nippon Columbia, with all the numerous musicians who were contributing this sort of material for DB/Z, was no longer a part of the production when GT came around, and the newcomer label named ZAIN RECORDS (affiliated with a small circle involving B-Gram, Being, etc) was in charge of the music department for that series.
It had 4 ED's in addition to the OP, but it's definitely not something you could make a song collection out of like what you had with DB and Z.
(Also worth noting is that said label has had nothing to do with the series since.)

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:51 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:57 am It's sort of like asking why GT didn't have any movies (the DB retelling movie released at the same time doesn't count).
BTW this should probably have been in the music section.

One thing to understand though, is that Nippon Columbia, with all the numerous musicians who were contributing this sort of material for DB/Z, was no longer a part of the production when GT came around, and the newcomer label named ZAIN RECORDS (affiliated with a small circle involving B-Gram, Being, etc) was in charge of the music department for that series.
It had 4 ED's in addition to the OP, but it's definitely not something you could make a song collection out of like what you had with DB and Z.
(Also worth noting is that said label has had nothing to do with the series since.)
I'm surprised Toei even made a change like this. Nippon Columbia is old and got extensive network of artists, rights and stuff, + their long history with Columbia Records (although they're no longer related). To swap to some new label for your biggest franchise is... cerainly a choice

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:56 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:39 am
the music of most GT was made by 1 guy Akihito Tokunaga who had only a bit of experience with music so maybe that's why?
The series insert songs aren't really composed by the background music composer (be it Kikuchi or Yamamoto or Sumitomo) so Tokunaga's limited experience wouldn't have mattered.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/theme/insert-songs/

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:16 pm

Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:51 pm I'm surprised Toei even made a change like this. Nippon Columbia is old and got extensive network of artists, rights and stuff, + their long history with Columbia Records (although they're no longer related). To swap to some new label for your biggest franchise is... cerainly a choice
It's exactly the same deal with going from Kikuchi to Tokunaga.
The former was just about the most prolific veteran composer in JP media at large at the time, whereas Tokunaga was a rookie of 25 years old (who to note has not been in the soundtrack composition business since).
His retirement from DB/Z after 10 years is understandable, but how does one swing entirely the other way to choose his successor?
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:56 pm The series insert songs aren't really composed by the background music composer (be it Kikuchi or Yamamoto or Sumitomo) so Tokunaga's limited experience wouldn't have mattered.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/theme/insert-songs/
And a lot of those insert/image song composers & arrangers (for the original 80's-90's run of the series) tend to be pretty prominent names in their own right as soundtrack composers (besides the Monolith crew for the most part).

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:25 pm

Insert songs had already become rare long before GT. Did the Buu Saga have any? They were pretty common up through and including the 22nd Budokai, then became much more infrequent. From Goku vs. Jackie Chun through Yamcha vs. Tenshinhan I don't think the series ever went more than 20 or so episodes without an insert song.

... I don't think I'm talking out of my ass on all of this anyway. I last watched Dragon Ball around 15 years ago so I might be wrong.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:40 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:25 pm Insert songs had already become rare long before GT. Did the Buu Saga have any? They were pretty common up through and including the 22nd Budokai, then became much more infrequent. From Goku vs. Jackie Chun through Yamcha vs. Tenshinhan I don't think the series ever went more than 20 or so episodes without an insert song.

... I don't think I'm talking out of my ass on all of this anyway. I last watched Dragon Ball around 15 years ago so I might be wrong.
No, that would in fact be correct. Presently up to episode 94 now, and there have been quite a few insert songs.
When Z came around though, the number went down for sure, with only a few moments having insert songs or non-standard BGM used for scenes.
This might have some connection to the way that Hit Song Collections (which were image songs for the great majority of its discography) were being pumped out year round for the series (like 3 a year at the least). Insert songs would at times be taken from that, at least three of them (BPU, Mind Power Ki, Unmei no Hi) were out on CD months in advance of the episodes they would be used in.

The lack of insert songs in the Buu Saga that you noted might be a symptom of the Hit Song Collections slowing down to only one album per year after MONOLITH worked on their last one (#15) in 1993, then promptly dipped from the series (with only Kageyama staying). After that only one came out in 1994, and another in 1995 (which was around the time of Forte Music being the label in charge of music for the series before it went belly up in 1996).

Looks like record label shenanigans had a big effect on things in this area.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:17 am

I just associated the lack of insert songs in Z with their having different ending songs for the movies after the first Z movie. I think all together Z ended up having more songs than the original Dragon Ball