Could this be the reason they don't continue DB Super series yet?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Could this be the reason they don't continue DB Super series yet?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:11 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:54 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:36 pm Honestly, I kind of wish the Tournament of Power had been a full 48 episodes. They were already so close! They should've just gone along with it.

(Ideally I think the entire recruitment and tournament should've only been 26 episodes, but alas).
I don't. Despite its extremely large cast and vast number of episodes, it was clear that they were not interested in the least bit in focusing on anybody but Universe 11 and Universe 6, and even those were poorly utilized.
I never said that I wanted them to be bad. I expect quality no matter what—especially in my hypothetical situations.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:23 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:57 pm Dragon Ball Super had an anime and that was in 2015. It is almost going to be 10 years, so maybe everybody should start to let go of it.

Regardless of that the manga continues because at the end sueisha and toei animation are two different companies for two different media and they decide how to milk their franchise as they best think it suits them.

Dragon Ball Daima is the new face of Dragon Ball when it comes to anime. It is Toei Animation's move and any hardcore fan of the franchise is already supporting it. Notice please how I said hardcore fan of the franchise and not only DBS or DBZ or DBGT ....etc...
Preeeeaach. I SINCERELY wish more people understood this. I still see people AAAAAALL THE TIME being like "Where's Dragon Ball Super season 2??? I WANNIT I WANNIT I WANNIIIIIIIT!!!" Liiiike... it's been just shy of SIX. YEARS. since the Super TV anime ended. It AMAZES me the patience these people have waiting for something that NO ONE aside from themselves have ever even said was ever gonna happen. As far as I'm aware, Tōei has NEVER said one official word about this long-fabled Dragon Ball Super Season Two that the ancient legends speak of.

If (and I say all of the following 100% hypothetically) the Dragon Ball Super TV anime WAS going to return, especially if that was Tōei's plan all along... WHY end it when they did? If they were just going to adapt all the subsequent manga arcs and movies eventually, why wait 7-8 years at least to do so rather than just, you know... keep the anime going the whole time? Some weird 4-D chess move to drum up manufactured hype?

Like, I get it... the Super anime started off adapting the existing movies (which, I think most of these people fail to realize, was because they RUSHED the series into production and adapted the films as a lazy stalling maneuver to make money before they had to come up with new stuff), and then proceeded to then cover the new arcs simultaneously alongside the manga (even though there were DRASTIC differences between the two), so those people just assume "Well, OBVIOUSLY they're gonna do the same thing and adapt the other manga arcs and movies too, right?" But like, again... no one actually ever said they would. Again, adapting the movies was just a stupid, shortsighted, greedy corporate cheapo decision,and, as mentioned earlier in this thread, the Moro and Granolah arcs were Toyotarō's stories (with only a little help from Toriyama). SHŪEISHA owns that shit, NOT Tōei. Toyotarō has absolutely fuckall to do with the anime side of the franchise whatsoever. As you said, they're two companies both separately doing their own things with the same franchise in two different mediums, and I wish more people understood that. Sadly, Dragon Ball Super is a fucking MESS of a franchise, has been since it's inception, and it's made the general fandom MORE than a little confused.

It really goes to show that a lot of Dragon Ball fans are a breed apart. I remember back in 2015 when the One Punch Man anime was first aired, it was seemed like people were treating it as THE BIGGEST FUCKING THING EVER. EVERYONE was talking about it and NO ONE could shut up about it. It was YUUUUGE. Fast forward four years later, and barely anyone was paying attention to season 2 when it finally came out in 2019, and the few who did mainly just complained (justifiably) about the significant downgrade in animation quality due to the studio change. After that, it's been fuckin' CRIIIIIIIIIICKEEEEETS. I mean, season 3 was announced A YEAR AND A HALF AGO, and I saw NO ONE talking about it then or since. One Punch Man was ON TOP of the fucking WORLD in 2015, and it fucking DIIIIIIIED a stone cold death ever since. EVERYONE stopped caring about OPM YEARS ago, DESPITE the ABSOLUTELY IMMENSE hype it had back in 2015. And yet... the Dragon Ball Super anime has been OVER AND DONE for six years, and I still see people ALL THE TIME who DESPERATELY want a second season. What a world, what a world...

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:59 am

TOEI's Dragon Ball Super ending itself was the "promise" it will continue..
These were the last words by the narrator:

"The endless challenge to go beyond all limits continues."
"When a new enemy appears.....Goku and his friends adventures begin again."
"UNTIL THEN, A BRIEF PARTING!"
"SEE YOU ALL AGAIN!"

So looks like TOEI lied in this case if it will never continue, but I'm still hopeful. If you truly want to conclude a series wheter it's manga is ongoing or not, then you don't end it like the above way. You simply say something "You liked this shit?! Want some more?? Find out next time in the manga!!!" :lol:

Anyway, they've continued Bleach after 10 years so I'm still very hopeful we get something too.. Dragon Ball is too big franchise to let any exclusive manga material exist without an anime adaptation. They want to milk this franchise to death, but I don't care, I like anything that is Dragon Ball :lol: :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:20 am

peterx wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:59 am TOEI's Dragon Ball Super ending itself was the "promise" it will continue..

"SEE YOU ALL AGAIN!"

So looks like TOEI lied in this case if it will never continue, but I'm still hopeful. If you truly want to conclude a series wheter it's manga is ongoing or not, then you don't end it like the above way. You simply say something "You liked this shit?! Want some more?? Find out next time in the manga!!!" :lol:
Technically they came back with the Super Broli movie, so there's that.

If you don't count the Super movies then we're long past a "brief parting" anyways.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:32 am

Toei's Super Dragon Ball Heroes is the Anime equivalent to Toyotaro's Moro and Granolah arcs. Simple.

What all these storylines have in common is that they were not penned by Toriyama.

Toei did come back with their own stories, but the Animated adaptation of Toriyama's stories is concluded as Toriyama himself no longer writes long story arcs since 2016/Tournament of Power.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:12 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:32 am Toei's Super Dragon Ball Heroes is the Anime equivalent to Toyotaro's Moro and Granolah arcs. Simple.

What all these storylines have in common is that they were not penned by Toriyama.
Toriyama is credited with penning the draft story outline for the Granolah arc, which is just the same as what he's credited with doing for the earlier televised arcs of Dragon Ball Super more generally. Accordingly, the former example seems to be as "penned by Toriyama" as the latter, and vice-versa.

(In case you're wondering, the word used for the "draft" Toriyama pens is the same in both articles - "gen'an"/"原案" - as shown in the Original Japanese interview that corresponds to Kanzenshuu's translated version linked above.)

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:34 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:12 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:32 am Toei's Super Dragon Ball Heroes is the Anime equivalent to Toyotaro's Moro and Granolah arcs. Simple.

Toriyama is credited with penning the draft story outline for the Granolah arc, which is just the same as what he's credited with doing for the earlier televised arcs of Dragon Ball Super more generally. Accordingly, the former example seems to be as "penned by Toriyama" as the latter, and vice-versa.

(In case you're wondering, the word used for the "draft" Toriyama pens is the same in both articles - "gen'an"/"原案" - as shown in the Original Japanese interview that corresponds to Kanzenshuu's translated version linked above.)
+ From further interviews with Toyo we know how Heeters or Monaito were entirely Toriyama's idea with Toyo only doing the designs. Sure, it started with Toyo's initial suggestion/pitch for Granolah's character first, but Toriyama took over the entire story concept then heavily.

We could argue that Moro arc was mostly Toyo with minor additions/reviews from Toriyama, but from what we know I really don't see any difference between the Granolah arc and say Future Trunks/Broly, in regards to Toriyama's involvement and 'authorship', which both also started as suggestions/pitches from Toei rather than Toriyama himself. Let alone BOG which WAS a completed script before Toriyama came in and made his changes. Nobody questions BOG as "Toriyama's arc" yet somehow Granolah isn't lol? I mean, seems to be that some peeps really tryna convinve themselves it's not canon for the sake of it.

Again, an argument could be made about Moro in this regard. But not for Granolah.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:10 pm

If Daima isn't connected to Super, it'll be "fun" seeing what kind of bizarre nonsense fans will make up about "canon."

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:18 pm

I doubt the Heroes' staff need to check everything with Toriyama first, or lack the agency to name a background character because Toriyama might want to do that himself down the line. I also don't think the guys producing Heroes receive corrections on their designs, or need to make room for Toriyama's new revelations.

Shit, they don't even need to respect their own writing or characters, everything goes.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:29 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:18 pm I doubt the Heroes' staff need to check everything with Toriyama first, or lack the agency to name a background character because Toriyama might want to do that himself down the line. I also don't think the guys producing Heroes receive corrections on their designs, or need to make room for Toriyama's new revelations.

Shit, they don't even need to respect their own writing or characters, everything goes.
Definitely but it does look like they're directly restricted at the moment from using manga-exclusive-arcs designs so far yet. I mean, it's SDBH. if they had the greenlight to use Black Freeza already, we can be 100% positive they would've plastered it all over by now in the dumbest way imaginable.

But that's probs Toei's decision anyway so they can keep it more fresh for a potential anime adaptation debut. Plus there's the issue of having to cast voice actors and finalize the on-screen designs. Toriyama himself probs doesn't even know about Heroes' existance or that it has its own promo anime lol

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:08 pm

peterx wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:59 am TOEI's Dragon Ball Super ending itself was the "promise" it will continue..

"SEE YOU ALL AGAIN!"

Anyway, they've continued Bleach after 10 years so I'm still very hopeful we get something too.. Dragon Ball is too big franchise to let any exclusive manga material exist without an anime adaptation. They want to milk this franchise to death, but I don't care, I like anything that is Dragon Ball :lol: :lol:
Full disclosure, I had honestly forgotten those last words since I haven't watched Super at all since it ended just shy of six years ago (and, considering that I very decidedly did NOT like 98.9% of it, aside from like four or five cute, fun slice of life episodes, I have ZERO plans to EVER revisit it again in ANY capacity, ESPECIALLY since the manga arcs and movies since have left a similarly bad taste in my mouth), but even still... that wasn't exactly the kind of thing I was talking about anyway. I meant like actual, official, real world statements from Tōei themselves directly referring to plans to continue the Super TV anime at some point in the future, which apparently do indeed not exist.

Unless "shibashi", which basically means "a short while" ("shibashi no wakare"; the narrator's last words, meaning, as you said, "a brief parting") has a muuuuuch looser definition to the Japanese as a whole, or even just Tōei's staff, than its English equivalent... yeeaaah, I'm preeeetty sure we're looooong past that. As MasenkoHa said, it could also have been referring to the then-soon upcoming Broli movie. Ooooor, it could have just been referring to the fact that the ending of the original series took place just a few years later and is still the true ending of the story. Who knows? I get the feeling that, just perhaps, the narrator's last words were left rather vague for a reason lol (CERTAINLY a far cry from the narrator's last words in GT, the VERY definitive, straightforward, impossible to interpret in any other way "Kore de Doragon Bōru no hanashi wa oshimai", or "This is where the story of Dragon Ball ends". God, I miss the days when that was actually still true...) I mean, it didn't exactly escape my notice that the wording of the narrator's last few sentences there at the end of the Super anime is not all too different from the narrator's last few sentences in the final panel of the final chapter of the original manga... I think that says something. Hell if I know what, but it's something lol

No matter what, there's NOTHING that ACTUALLY states that the Super TV anime will "come back" and adapt the Moro, Granolah, Broli, and Super Hero arcs like everyone keeps saying it supposedly will/desperately begging for it to do. Maybe it's just me, but I do sometimes get a little sick of seeing people all over the place bringing it up ad nauseam when we've all had six years for it to sink in that maaaaaybe that's just not in Tōei's plan.

Plus... Bleach is different. I've seen MULTIPLE people bring that up as justification for "OBVIOUSLY the Super anime HAS to return!!!", and it's just the worst, most inaccurate comparison you could possibly make. The Bleach anime was a DIRECT adaptation of its manga, just like Dragon Ball USED to be in the 80s and 90s, but it was canceled before it adapted the last few parts of the manga's story. So, Studio Pierrot decided to bring it back years later and actually finish, again, DIRECTLY adapting the MANGA'S story just like it had from the beginning aaaall the way back in 2004. InuYasha did the same thing with "The Final Act" (although they made the HOOOOORRIBLE decision to condense the final TWO HUNDRED fucking chapters into TWENTY-SIX EPISODES!!!!)

In contrast, Super's anime and manga from the VERY GETGO were entirely separate things that simultaneously did their own unique adaptations of Toriyama's story outlines, a VERY different beast than Bleach, or InuYasha, or Hunter X Hunter, or again... how Dragon Ball ITSELF was 30-40 years ago. It's not at all like the Super anime is "unfinished" because it "didn't adapt the rest of the manga"... because the anime was NEVER an adaptation of the manga to begin with.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:34 pm

Vegetto95 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:08 pm In contrast, Super's anime and manga from the VERY GETGO were entirely separate things that simultaneously did their own unique adaptations of Toriyama's story outlines, a VERY different beast than Bleach, or InuYasha, or Hunter X Hunter, or again... how Dragon Ball ITSELF was 30-40 years ago. It's not at all like the Super anime is "unfinished" because it "didn't adapt the rest of the manga"... because the anime was NEVER an adaptation of the manga to begin with.
It WAS different during the Super anime part 1. They simply did not have any material for a weekly show from a monthly manga.. now this problem is non-existent since they now have enough material for years, plus they can put the movie storylines into series too.. actually I think the manga followed the anime's story, not the other way around, which is extremely rare in Japanese animes. Maybe they don't want to repeat the same mistake again and will wait until Super manga concludes in the far future or at least until they reach EOZ or take care of Black Freeza. Then they will do the anime in one run. Dragon Ball is a show that is just not working in a usual 26/52 episode seasons/year. It needs to go continously like Naruto/Boruto or One Piece, the lore, the "epicness" can't be contained into seasons..

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:45 pm

peterx wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:34 pm Dragon Ball is a show that is just not working in a usual 26/52 episode seasons/year. It needs to go continously like Naruto/Boruto or One Piece, the lore, the "epicness" can't be contained into seasons..
There's only a little problem with that:
DB Fans hate "filler" (or non-Toriyama content) with a burning passion, so unless they learn to put up with it, it can't go on continously.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:50 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:45 pm
peterx wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:34 pm Dragon Ball is a show that is just not working in a usual 26/52 episode seasons/year. It needs to go continously like Naruto/Boruto or One Piece, the lore, the "epicness" can't be contained into seasons..
DB Fans hate "filler" (or non-Toriyama content) with a burning passion, so unless they learn to put up with it, it can't go on continously.
That is right and now TOEI don't even need to do filler since they have enough material for a while, but most likely they will wait to have even more.
Last edited by peterx on Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:57 pm

Yes but I would argue that a ~100+ new episodes series already falls under the 'continuous' show category tho. That's 2 years worth of TV license and a big pack for streaming, exactly how all of the broadcasters and distributors like it. And the amount of manga chapters already released post-TOP (+ whatever's coming next) would easily allow that much episodes without relying heavily on filler. Not to even mention Daima adding up to the mix. Not saying 2uper will definitely happen, adapting the manga at that, but if Toei ever decides to do it, they got the material ready for a sizeable adaptation and distribution

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:00 pm

If Toriyama approves something, then that is Toriyama-content from that point since the "God" approves, fans have to put up with it.. Btw. I don't think the vast majority of fans even differentiate or even know what is Toriyama what is Toyotaro content.. only the hardcore fans care about that, the 5% maybe.. and even from them, there is minority who gets angry at this, not so important from business standpoint. I consider myself hardcore fan for 20 years now but couldn't care less who writes the story if it is approved by Toriyama. The majority of fans don't even read the manga, they just happy there is Dragon Ball on TV and continuation.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:13 pm

peterx wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:34 pm It WAS different during the Super anime part 1. They simply did not have any material for a weekly show from a monthly manga.. now this problem is non-existent since they now have enough material for years, plus they can put the movie storylines into series too.. actually I think the manga followed the anime's story, not the other way around, which is extremely rare in Japanese animes. Maybe they don't want to repeat the same mistake again and will wait until Super manga concludes in the far future or at least until they reach EOZ or take care of Black Freeza. Then they will do the anime in one run. Dragon Ball is a show that is just not working in a usual 26/52 episode seasons/year. It needs to go continously like Naruto/Boruto or One Piece, the lore, the "epicness" can't be contained into seasons..
First of all, Super's manga actually began its run a full month before the anime. The main reason it skipped past the Revival of 'F' arc was because the God and God/Battle of Gods arc lasted four chapters, which took FOUR MONTHS, at which point the anime was at last halfway through the Revival of 'F' arc and close to starting the Universe 6 Tournament arc, and Shūeisha didn't want the manga to be left so far behind and wanted it to stay concurrent with the anime because money (plus, Toyotarō had already done a manga adaptation of the first two-thirds of the RoF movie just a few months earlier anyway, so it seemed, pardon the pun, SUPER redundant :lol: )

You seem to have a few misconceptions about the first few years of Super... the manga was not adapting the anime ANY more than the other way around. NEITHER was an adaptation of the other. When it came to the U6 Tournament, Gokū Black, and Tournament of Power arcs, here's what ACTUALLY happened: Toriyama wrote up a basic, barebones plot outline, gave a copy each separately to Toyotarō for the manga and Tōei's production staff for the anime, and basically went "Have at it, boys! I'm old and long-since retired and haven't actually cared about Dragon Ball in twenty years! Do the lion's share of my old workload for me!! Imma go nap" Hence why, while the major plot beats are mostly the same for each, the events between each bullet point on Toriyama's napkin notes (which make up the VAST majority of the actual story) are DRASTICALLY different between the two. Because, again... NEITHER was an adaptation of the other. They're the results of two copies of the same plot skeleton being simultaneously but totally separately given two COMPLETELY different sets of nervous systems, muscles, skin, and hair by two very different, separate writers/sets of writers.

Who says that Dragon Ball NEEDS to run full cour? It has an epic lore that can't be contained? Says who? You know why One Piece and Naruto/Boruto run all year rather than seasonally? Because that's what they've both been doing for well over twenty years! Tōei and Pierrot figured it wasn't worth changing their entire format entirely just to mimic what has recently become the industry standard when it was easier to just keep adapting them the way they already had been for so long. But let's look at almost ANY Weekly Shōnen Jump anime adaptation that started within the last ten-fifteen years: Demon Slayer, Jujustu Kaisen, My Hero Academia, etc. don't run season to season because they don't have as much "epic lore" as Dragon Ball, One Piece, or Naruto... it's because they're MUCH more recent anime that have been adapted from their manga in a time when the anime industry does things a little differently than they did 20-30 years ago. That's ALL there is to it. The only "real" reason why a DB TV anime would run full cour anymore is because that's how it used to be 30 years ago, same as Naruto or One Piece... but it could JUST as easily also run seasonally if Tōei wanted it to. And again... that's assuming there ever even is another DB TV anime to begin with.

I mean NO offense by this WHATSOEVER, but it seems like you're just making up weird, arbitrary "reasonings" to try justify giving yourself false hope that Super anime will return and adapt the rest of the manga/movies, but all of it is based on a severe lack of knowledge of not just the production backgrounds of several different manga and anime, but also of the current and former states of the anime industry as a whole and its general practices.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:39 pm

peterx wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:00 pm If Toriyama approves something, then that is Toriyama-content from that point since the "God" approves, fans have to put up with it..
Gentle reminder: Toriyama has given nothing but praise to DBGT since it came out. Fans still hate it. /shrug

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:55 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:39 pm
peterx wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:00 pm If Toriyama approves something, then that is Toriyama-content from that point since the "God" approves, fans have to put up with it..
Gentle reminder: Toriyama has given nothing but praise to DBGT since it came out. Fans still hate it. /shrug
I am a fan of Dragon Ball and I can say that I enjoy GT. I even have the DVD in my house, I watched the episode so many times.
As for DBS some episode was just terrible. Some characters are just written really bad and how they are treated the same really bad.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:04 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:55 pm I am a fan of Dragon Ball and I can say that I enjoy GT. I even have the DVD in my house, I watched the episode so many times.
As for DBS some episode was just terrible. Some characters are just written really bad and how they are treated the same really bad.
Yes, GT does have fans (me included), but its general reception is not positive.
TFS hates it, FUNimation calls it "the bastard child of the franchise", 9 out of 10 Dragon Ball content creators on YouTube trash it, Daima has been trashed on principle of reusing an idea from GT alone, called "GT 2.0" and received negative comparisons, the list goes on.

I'm not saying any of this to force people to like GT, but if Dragon Ball were to go the One Piece route, where it had arcs written by the original author in-between loads of filler content, DB fans would still trash it like there's no tomorrow. There is a large aversion to content not made by Toriyama in this fandom, whether he approves of it directly or not.