I have two questions to which I can't find answers anywhere online (Dragon Ball EDs, and DB, DBZ, & DBGT soundtracks)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chillin'LikeAKrillin

I have two questions to which I can't find answers anywhere online (Dragon Ball EDs, and DB, DBZ, & DBGT soundtracks)

Post by Chillin'LikeAKrillin » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:52 am

Hi! As the title states, I have two questions that I hope you knowledgeable folks could please answer for me, because the rest of the Internet has failed me thus far.

1. For exactly which episodes are the four Dragon Ball endings used? Someone called zaislim93 has uploaded all four to YouTube with corresponding episode number claims in the descriptions, but some of them conflict, and I can't find any other source for the episode numbers, so I don't know which of his claims are true, if any. His video descriptions claim the use of ED 1 for episodes 1-24, ED 2 for episodes 22-101, ED 3 for episodes 102-132, and ED 4 for episodes 133-154. Are any of these numbers true, and if so, which ones? Please provide your source so I know the info is accurate.

2. If I want to own the complete Japanese soundtracks for Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT (including film soundtracks) on CD, which exact releases do I need in order to own all of the tunes across all three shows? I want to collect all three complete soundtracks on CD in as few releases as possible.

I really hope someone knows the answers to these queries. Thank you!

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: I have two questions to which I can't find answers anywhere online (Dragon Ball EDs, and DB, DBZ, & DBGT soundtracks

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:56 am

For the DB ending part, almost all of the numbers in the video description are correct, only the episode numbers for the first ending is wrong, ED1 was used from episodes 1 to 21.

Now for the soundtracks, before it, just a minor nitpick that I personally think you should've made this post in the Music forum, it saddens me to see that forum so dead and I really think this was a perfect post to be made there bruuh Dx
I'll give all the details about the release of every single DB, DBZ & GT score released, in case you want to see it check out the "spoiler" box, in case you don't then jump straight to the summary.
So, in summary:
-Avoid Ongakushu 1986, it's not worth it, all of the tracks included here are featured on DB & DBZ Daizenshuu.

-DB & DBZ Daizenshuu for the DBZ TV Series & Movies scores is definitely not worth it as all tracks included here can be found in BGM Collection 2006, but it's definitely worth it for the scores of DB TV Series & Movies, which can't be found anywhere else.

-BGM Collection 2006 is definitely the best source for music from DBZ TV Series & Movies (Movies 1-7 and 9 at least), as it not only features all the tracks from DB & DBZ Daizenshuu, as it also features music from Movies 12 and 13.

-Ongakushu Volume 1 (1992) is the weakest for the DBZ Movies scores when compared to DB & DBZ Daizenshuu and BGM Collection 2006, but it's worth it as it includes tracks from Movies 2, 3, 5 and 7 that can't be found anywhere else.

-Ongakushu Volume 2 (1993) is the best source for DBZ Movie 8's score, but some tracks are exclusive to BGM Collection 2006, so both are worth it, DB & DBZ Daizenshuu isn't.

-The Independent Score releases for Movies 10 and 11 are the best source for the music of these two movies, BGM Collection 2006 and DB & DBZ Daizenshuu aren't. And the Movie 11 score is the only Kikuchi score to have 0 unreleased tracks.

-The score for GT was never released, only the score for the 10th Anime Anniversary Movie "The Path to Ultimate Strength".

I hope it helps, don't thank me, thank Kenisu for it, without his blog I wouldn't have made this so fast : )
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: I have two questions to which I can't find answers anywhere online (Dragon Ball EDs, and DB, DBZ, & DBGT soundtracks

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:03 am

Ditto to the above, this post should have been in the Music section.

Anyways, while the soundtrack releases are the biggest bag fumble of all time for a series such as this one, I will list actual production info from the soundtrack CD's that will help you to find them out in the wild, making no comments about which collections are more complete or not than the other since each apparently has something different about it, even for tracks that are supposedly the same (such as movie suites for the same material having different durations and organization).

Dragon Ball Music Collection (LP, CX-7272, r. 1986-04-21 | ANIMEX 1200 CD, COCC-72015, r. 2003-09-25)

Dragon Ball Z Music Collection vol. 1 (CD, COCC-10165, r. 1992-08-21 | ANIMEX 1200 CD, COCC-72061, r. 2004-09-22)

Dragon Ball Z Music Collection vol. 2 ~Moetsukiro!! Nessen Ressen Chougekisen~ (CD, COCC-10788, r. 1993-05-01 | ANIMEX 1200 CD, COCC-72062, r. 2004-09-22)

DRAGONBALL & DRAGONBALL Z Great Complete Collection (5 CD, COCC-11547~51, r. 1994-04-01)

DRAGON BALL Z ~Kiken na Futari! Super Senshi wa Nemurenai~ MUSIC COLLECTION (CD, FMCC-5022, r. 1994-04-01)

DRAGON BALL Z ~Super Senshi Gekiha!! Katsu no wa Ore da~ MUSIC COLLECTION (CD, FMCC-5035, r. 1994-08-01)

DRAGON BALL Z BGM COLLECTION (3 CD, COCX-33564~6, r. 2006-02-12)

This concludes the absolutely disappointing legacy of CD score releases for the original 80's-90's series. I personally wouldn't bother with all except the first music collection re-release and 8, 10 & 11's CD's, but here they are for reference.

One thing to note is the distance between most of these releases and how few they were. It truly makes no sense at all.

Oh and as stated above, GT got nothing, with the only Tokunaga DB project from that time released being:

Dragon Ball Saikyou e no Michi ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK (CD, ZACL-1029, r. 1996-03-23)

If you'd still like to go for it, this should at least help you to avoid bootlegs from Taiwan that might be floating around on eBay or something like that.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:12 am

As another reminder: Kanzenshuu is an actual full website!

Check out our "Theme Guide" and "Music Database" for a wealth of information, including historical context and guides for some of the questions posed in this thread.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chillin'LikeAKrillin

Post by Chillin'LikeAKrillin » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:53 am

Rafa Fast, what is your source for the ED episode counts? I can't find any information anywhere online about which episodes use which EDs.

As for everyone's insistence that I should've posted this in the music forum, considering the fact that I had one question related to music and one question unrelated to music, I didn't think it belonged there. I suppose I could've made two different posts - one here about the EDs and one there about the music - but I figured it would be cleaner to just post one thread instead of two, so here we are lol.

Thank you all very much, this has been extremely helpful. I can't believe what a mess the soundtrack releases are, criminy. At least now I know what I need.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:23 pm

Chillin'LikeAKrillin wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:53 am Rafa Fast, what is your source for the ED episode counts? I can't find any information anywhere online about which episodes use which EDs.
JP wikipedia is your friend:
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ドラゴンボール_(アニメ)#主題歌
I can't believe what a mess the soundtrack releases are, criminy. At least now I know what I need.
Got that right, and the first Music Collection for DB was amazing too (all stereo). Then they dropped the ball hard afterwards with inexplicable mono quality tracks in releases, and the only times they gave score sets similar treatment to the first one were for Movies 8, 10, and 11 (all Broli). Meanwhile they left Movies 12 and 13 unreleased for 10 years after the series ended till the 2006 BGM collection when they just got paltry suite compilation tracks. Not even other Toei/Columbia properties around that time got this kind of sloppy treatment.

You're welcome BTW, happy to help.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:12 am As another reminder: Kanzenshuu is an actual full website!

Check out our "Theme Guide" and "Music Database" for a wealth of information, including historical context and guides for some of the questions posed in this thread.
Chillin'LikeAKrillin wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:53 am Rafa Fast, what is your source for the ED episode counts? I can't find any information anywhere online about which episodes use which EDs.
GhostEmperorX wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:23 pm JP wikipedia is your friend:
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ドラゴンボール_(アニメ)#主題歌
I feel like I'm in bizarro world here! :lol: Are my posts somehow only visible to just me? Again, all of this information is readily available right here on the main Kanzenshuu website, in English, and fact-checked for your convenience!

For example, if you follow the "Theme Guide" to the "Ending Themes" page and then to the entry for "I'll Give You Romance," we have breakdowns of the animation of all four variations and the accompanying episodes are listed alongside them that each are used for.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chillin'LikeAKrillin

Post by Chillin'LikeAKrillin » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:21 pm

Ah, apologies! I didn't even click the links because they looked to be solely about the music and theme songs, which didn't seem relevant to my query about the ED animations. Thank you for the links, I appreciate it.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:10 pm

Hopefully this is an indicator to explore more of something, even if you think it may be unrelated. Personally speaking, there's tons of different things I found out about various subjects just by focusing on one area only. A lot of it massively helpful to what I know about those subjects.

As to sources besides the site... I'm not that well-versed with using it yet, and am pretty much more used to JP wiki material which tends to be on the mark most of the time I've used it. And now also direct scans of official material, since I can decipher them for the most part.
(There's also the thing with JP name romanization sources from before...)