Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Post by KingVegetto » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:40 pm

Not much more I can say then "damn this really fucking sucks". I hate that a person who touched so many like Toriyama died so suddenly while truly evil individuals(whom I will not name here)are still alive, the world is so unfair sometimes but I don't want to get too negative so i'll choose to remember all of the good he did, even if he did occasionally stumble once in a while(I.E. Minus)he never stopped creating and it blows my mind how many people he inspired.

The last death I can think of that really affected people on this scale was Satoru Iwata.

Someone else mentioned Stan Lee, he had his faults but still did a lot of good though his death everyone saw coming with his age and whatnot so the shock factor was lessened. But this one hurts man, reminds me of when Monty Oum of Rooster Teeth suddenly died out of nowhere.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:58 pm

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2024/03/11/n ... matsuyama/

Takashi Matsuyama reflects on the passing of Toriyama. Matsuyama was Toriyama's second assistant, he assisted on the second half of Dr. Slump and nearly the entirety of Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:44 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:10 pm
Trouser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:08 pm Son Goku sings "Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku" (AI) as a tribute for his father.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asQd-Tu_ThA
Celebrating an artist by using AI is really...not a great idea.
Not to mention it sounds terrible in (AI) Nozawa voice lol

But, speaking on the subject I saw many people paying their respects using GT material and I glad I didn't read any smartass posts like:
"You know this is not part of Toriyama DB, right?"

I believe people mention GT because it was the only animated series that had a definitive closure feel to the story, a feeling somewhat similar to Toriyama's passing, even though the franchise will still go on.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:57 am

Trouser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:38 pm What's wrong with it? I'm serious. I'm amazed by the AI's posibilities, but I don't understand. Explain it to me like I'm five years old, please.

Guy's posted his tribute on YouTube meaning no harm.
Aside from the fact that it sounds fucking terrible, it's just incentivizing lazy corporations from getting out of paying actors for their work.
Noah wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:44 am
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:10 pm
Trouser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:08 pm Son Goku sings "Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku" (AI) as a tribute for his father.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asQd-Tu_ThA
Celebrating an artist by using AI is really...not a great idea.
Not to mention it sounds terrible in (AI) Nozawa voice lol

But, speaking on the subject I saw many people paying their respects using GT material and I glad I didn't read any smartass posts like:
"You know this is not part of Toriyama DB, right?"

I believe people mention GT because it was the only animated series that had a definitive closure feel to the story, a feeling somewhat similar to Toriyama's passing, even though the franchise will still go on.
I think it's just because Dan Dan Kokoro lends itself better to sentimental "remembering someone fondly music" compared to the other Dragon Ball themes and not anything to do with GT itself

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:00 pm

I was not sure if opening a new post would de adequate, but I saw other people posting about homages in their home town.

I just wanted to share that (as expected) the news caused great disturbance in Mexico.

Every single news show covered toriyama's passing on TV, randio and newspapers. I can prove the online versions on it:
https://amp.elperiodico.com/es/salud/20 ... v-99209324

https://amp.milenio.com/espectaculos/fa ... ll-reporte

https://elpais.com/cultura/2024-03-08/m ... utType=amp

https://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/especta ... que-murio/

https://www.radioformula.com.mx/especta ... 05402.html

https://www.diariodemexico.com/escena/a ... 8-anos/amp

https://www.jornada.com.mx/noticia/2024 ... -ball-7252

https://elpais.com/diario/2011/09/05/cu ... utType=amp

And they gathered at the capital Mexico City.

Apparently, it was all organized via tiktok hence I was never aware of it until I saw it on the news.

https://www.elsoldemexico.com.mx/gossip ... 76471.html

A video: https://youtu.be/RbaHwQsNguY?si=IXbRLbm5bGi2QpIi

May the force be with us all

As someone that has been dedicating the last 4 years almost all of my free time to Dragon Ball, it feels weird that all of the sudden everyone talks about it. I would have preferred for it to be because of Daima instead of this... uhgh... I can't continue...

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:57 am I think it's just because Dan Dan Kokoro lends itself better to sentimental "remembering someone fondly music" compared to the other Dragon Ball themes and not anything to do with GT itself
Nah, it's more than just the song, but also posts like these
Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:00 pm ...And they gathered at the capital Mexico City.
Yet another demonstration of how beloved is DB in Latin America. So emotional...

In a podcast, Wendel Bezerra mentioned that he sees Toriyama as a sort of father figure because voicing Goku was a gift, that the character not only opened doors for him in the industry but also shaped him to be the man he is today.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:52 am

I have a lot that I'm still reflecting on, thinking about, trying to form, etc. It's going to take a while. There's so much of a direct impact and literal direction on my life that it's impossible to really put into words, I think. I haven't said much here, mostly because of that, and because I've been trying to keep myself busy with all the translation work and other stuff folks have been helping out with for the main site.

Yes, there will be a big podcast about Toriyama, his life, and his impact. I'm working to schedule that.

In the meantime, last Saturday night we kept up our usual Mario Kart streaming, but dedicated just about all of our conversation to Toriyama. It was just a couple days after getting the news, so everything's still pretty raw. As I describe in the writeup, it's a bit of dark humor and coping all wrapped up into a big decompression and group therapy session.

Here's a ~90 minute compilation of all the Dragon Ball and Toriyama chat. Definitely the kind of thing to kick back and just chill out with during the conversation. I hope you enjoy, and I hope we captured even a tiny bit of what made Toriyama so special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojF5ttNSgWw

More to come...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:24 am

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I've been dying to see more Toriyama interviews.
I just realised I didn't even know his voice until his passing, or his mannerisms, not until I watched a 1983, Dr Slump-oriented interview.

Not counting the written ones, available on the main site, I wonder if he's done interviews, aside of that 1983 one, and that other other where he drew Goku and commented on it. I don't even care if it's about DB, I just want to know the guy a little more. But I think he was more like a Bird Hermit.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:27 am

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:52 am
Yes, there will be a big podcast about Toriyama, his life, and his impact. I'm working to schedule that.

How about inviting people, and by people I mean podcast listeners,to share what Toriyama meant to them on a live podcast? It was done through the channel of a French youtuber and it was super therapeutic for me to even if I could not take part.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:40 am

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:24 amNot counting the written ones, available on the main site, I wonder if he's done interviews, aside of that 1983 one, and that other other where he drew Goku and commented on it.
Yeah, video interviews of Toriyama are exceptionally rare, as he was never comfortable with live appearances. Aside from that 1983 Tetsuko's Room one shortly after his wedding, he made one appearance at a V-Jump event sometime in the 90s, which there may be videos of, a round table interview with Nozawa and others when Battle of Gods was being released, he requested for his face not to be shown at that, there was also the rare public appearance Toriyama made in 2004 at the Leipzig Book Fair in Germany, although he warned that would be cancelled if any photos were taken so there's no way any videos are out there.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:30 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:27 am How about inviting people, and by people I mean podcast listeners,to share what Toriyama meant to them on a live podcast? It was done through the channel of a French youtuber and it was super therapeutic for me to even if I could not take part.
That's basically what this also was, by way of the chat comments.

The actual, normal podcast that we do I want to be a normal, simple, traditional episode with the core group of us doing some history and reflection.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:39 pm

Noah wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:44 am I believe people mention GT because it was the only animated series that had a definitive closure feel to the story, a feeling somewhat similar to Toriyama's passing, even though the franchise will still go on.
Not to mention, Toriyama did contribute core things to GT like the main character's designs, spaceship, the planets and such. Approved personally of SSJ4 and drew it in his style.

It's a part of his DB because he still had relevant input in it, even despite not being the writer. Saying opposite would be just like saying that Blue Dragon isn't his series just because he didn't personally code it :lol:

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:53 pm

I am very much looking forward to hearing the thoughts of the Kanzenshuu crew on a podcast. Kanzenshuu has always been such an important part of my Dragon Ball fandom it feels like the podcast will be a personal part of finding closure on this for me and, I imagine, plenty other listeners.

I've been shocked at the depth that I felt this loss. It seems so silly because its a comic artist from another country but when I think about the effect that his work has had on my life, it feels as impactful as the loss of a friend. Its difficult not to get choked up on the tragedy of the facts of Toriyama's life and death as we know them, but the personal connection puts it over the edge. It's such a raw emotion that I understand the need for there to be a little time before the podcast can be recorded. I know I'll be listening as soon as it hits my feeds.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:52 am I have a lot that I'm still reflecting on, thinking about, trying to form, etc. It's going to take a while. There's so much of a direct impact and literal direction on my life that it's impossible to really put into words, I think. I haven't said much here, mostly because of that, and because I've been trying to keep myself busy with all the translation work and other stuff folks have been helping out with for the main site.

In the meantime, last Saturday night we kept up our usual Mario Kart streaming, but dedicated just about all of our conversation to Toriyama. It was just a couple days after getting the news, so everything's still pretty raw. As I describe in the writeup, it's a bit of dark humor and coping all wrapped up into a big decompression and group therapy session.

Here's a ~90 minute compilation of all the Dragon Ball and Toriyama chat. Definitely the kind of thing to kick back and just chill out with during the conversation. I hope you enjoy, and I hope we captured even a tiny bit of what made Toriyama so special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojF5ttNSgWw

More to come...
Ah, thanks for sharing! It'll definitely help my work day pass smoothly. As mentioned in my earlier post, while I'm bummed out about Toriyama's passing, I'm also happy that his work brought us all together and introduced me to so many cool fans and fellow creatives. Watching both the SandLand anime and Daima are definitely going to hit different now.

I'm thankful to the Kanzenshuu crew as well. Y'all helped expand my mind and tastes far beyond just the English dubs of the anime. I bought so many of the Japanese CDs because of you guys. :lol:
Last edited by theoriginalbilis on Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:30 pm
sangofe wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:27 am How about inviting people, and by people I mean podcast listeners,to share what Toriyama meant to them on a live podcast? It was done through the channel of a French youtuber and it was super therapeutic for me to even if I could not take part.
That's basically what this also was, by way of the chat comments.

The actual, normal podcast that we do I want to be a normal, simple, traditional episode with the core group of us doing some history and reflection.
I understand why you prefer that for different reasons. One of them being that it could very chaotic to have a podcast where listeners speak as the requests to speak would be massive - the french stream i mentioned lasted eight hours and not everyone got to speak. I will try to organize talks on discord privately, then.

MugiMikey
Beyond Newbie

Post by MugiMikey » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:43 am

Innagadadavida wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:53 pm I've been shocked at the depth that I felt this loss. It seems so silly because its a comic artist from another country but when I think about the effect that his work has had on my life, it feels as impactful as the loss of a friend. Its difficult not to get choked up on the tragedy of the facts of Toriyama's life and death as we know them, but the personal connection puts it over the edge.
This is pretty much how I've been feeling about it. This past week has been incredibly difficult for me and I've been doing my best to process it. It doesn't really feel real, even though I know it is. This is a man I've idolized the majority of my life, whose works inspired me incredibly, and without him I feel like I would be a completely different person altogether. Sure, I never knew him or anything, but the parts of himself that he allowed the world to get to know is an individual that I admired greatly.

I think this is a loss I'm going to feel for a long, long time.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:59 am

It is only after some reflection that I've started to compose myself and realize the degree of impact and influence Toriyama has had on my life. I've always been sympathetic toward folks who felt depressed after a celebrity death, but this is the first time I've ever felt it myself.

I can basically owe my entire life path to Dragon Ball. I learned to draw by doodling Goku, my interest in reading and writing and art in general came via Dragon Ball - I completed my master's in literature as a result of Dragon Ball nurturing a love for storytelling in me, and Dragon Ball was and is a potential subject for my future PhD.

I've also developed a small indie game once, and I remember either Legacy of Goku 2 or Buu's Fury being the first videogame I've ever played.

As I said before as well, I owe my life to Toriyama for renewing my will to live during a dark period in 2015.

Toriyama's belief in redemption and the goodness of mankind pushing through in spite of our faults will be themes that will forever stick with me.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:19 pm

Dragon Ball had some influence on the latest Prince of Persia game.

Is there anything that hasn't yet been blessed by Toriyama/Dragon Ball?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:40 am

You guys might wanna see this. There's this restaurant that Akira Toriyama frequently dines at and they display a lot of sketches he's made for the restaurant.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/adiBsp ... tid=xfxF2i
The world is your's.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:42 am

Those looking to admire new-but-not-so-new Toriyama images can do so right here. Miki Dai is being kind enough to share them with us, so I'll try to post them in that thread.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~